- Volume 38 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Effects of Rice Added with Mulberry Leaves and Fruit on Blood Glucose, Body Fat and Serum Lipid Levels in Rats
뽕잎오디쌀이 흰쥐의 혈당농도와 체지방 및 혈청지질 분획에 미치는 영향
- Han, Chan-Kyu (Korea Food Research Institute) ;
- Kim, Sung-Soo (Korea Food Research Institute) ;
- Choi, Sang-Yoon (Korea Food Research Institute) ;
- Park, Ju-Hun (Dept. of Food & Nutrition, Chung-Ang University) ;
- Lee, Bog-Hieu (Dept. of Food & Nutrition, Chung-Ang University)
- Published : 2009.10.31
This study was performed to investigate the effects of rice added with mulberry leaves and fruit on blood glucose, body fat and serum lipid levels in Sprague-Dawley male rats for 4 weeks. Mulberry rice diet was prepared with mixture of 50% of purified AIN-diet and 50% of formulated rice consisting of soybean, barley, polished rice, black rice, uncleaned rice bud, mulberry leaves and fruit. The experimental animals were fed the mulberry rice diet (group A) and the purified AIN-diet (group B, diabetic control) for 4 weeks in rats injected with streptozotocin. In terms of observing hypolipidemic effect of mulberry rice, rats were fed either high-fat diet (13% fat) with additional lard, corn oil, cholesterol to AIN-diet (group C, control) or mulberry rice diet mixed with high fat diet (group D) for 4 weeks. Blood glucose level at the 4th week of group A had increased 5 mg/dL compared with that of day 0, while group B increased 51 mg/dL. However, the glucose levels of the groups A and B at the final day were 156 mg/dL (12.4% decrease compared with B) and 178 mg/dL, respectively. As for hypolipidemic effect, weight gain and body fat were 8% lower in the group D and serum triglyceride level also 19% lower in the group D compared with those of group C (p<0.05).
- Machii H, Koyama A, Yamanouchi H. 2000. Mulberry breeding, cultivation and utilization in Japan. FAO Electronic Conference Mulberry for Animal Production. http://www.fao.org/livestock/agap/frg/mulberry.
- Kim TW, Kwon YB, Lee JH, Yang IS, Youm JK, Lee HS, Moon JY. 1996. A study on the antidiabetic effect of mulberry fruits. Korean J Seri Sci 38: 100-107.
- Kim SY, Park KJ, Lee WC. 1988. Antiinflammatory and antioxidative effects of Morus spp. fruit extract. Korean J Med Crop Sci 6: 204-209.
- Park JC, Choi JS, Choi JW. 1995. Effects of the fractions from the leaves, fruits, stems and roots of Cudrania tricuspidata and flavonoids on lipid peroxidation. Korean J Pharmacogn 26: 377-384.
- Kim HB, Kim SY, Ryu KS, Lee WC, Moon JY. 2001. Effect of methanol extract from mulberry fruit on the lipid metabolism and liver function in cholesterol-induced hyperlipidemia rats. Korean J Seri Sci 43: 104-108.
- Oh H, Ko EK, Jun JY, Oh MH, Park SU, Kang KH, Lee HS, Kim YC. 2002. Hepatoprotective and free radical scavenging activities of prenylflavonoids, coumarin and stilbene from Morus alba. Planta Med 68: 932-934. https://doi.org/10.1055/s-2002-34930
- Park SW, Jung YS, Ko KC. 1997. Quantitative analysis of anthocyanins among mulberry cultivars and their pharmacological screening. J Korean Soc Hort Sci 38: 722-724.
- Hong V, Wrolstad RE. 1990. Use of HPLC separation/photodiode array detection for characterization of anthocyanin. J Agric Food Chem 38: 708-715. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf00093a026
- Yu SM, Choi CM. 1998. Development of processed foods using mulberry fruit. Rural Resource Development Institute, Korea.
- Shin DH. 1998. Antioxidative substances in mulberry leaves. J Korean Oil Chemist's Soc 16: 27-31.
- Reeves PG, Nielsen FH, Fahey GC. 1993. AIN-93 purified diets for laboratory rodent: final report of the American Institute Nutrition ad hoc writing committee in the reformulation of the AIN-76A rodent diets. J Nutr 123: 1939-1951. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/123.11.1939
- Niall MG, Rosaleen AM, Daphne O, Patrick BC, Alan HJ, Gerald HT. 1990. Cholesterol metabolism in alloxan-induced diabetic rabbits. Diabetes 39: 626-636. https://doi.org/10.2337/diabetes.39.5.626
- Preston AM, Tome J, Morales JJ, Milan L, Cuevas AA, Medina J, Santiago JA. 1991. Diabetic parameters 58 weeks after injection with streptozotocin in rats fed basal diet supplemented with fiber, mineral and vitamin. Nutr Res 11: 895-906. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0271-5317(05)80617-7
- Kim MH, Kim HY, Kim WK, Kim JY, Kim SH. 2001. Effects of soy oligosaccharides on blood glucose and lipid metabolism in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. Korean J Nutr 34: 3-13.
- Lee WC, Kim SE, Han SJ, Yun SC. 1993. Effect of number of days after urea foliar spray on mulberry leaf components and silkworm. Korea J Seric Sci 35: 86-88.
- Kim SY, Ryu KS, Lee WC, Ku HO, Lee HS, Lee KR. 1999. Hypoglycemic effect of mulberry leaves with anaerobic treatment in alloxan-induced diabetic mice. Korean J Pharmacogn 30: 123-129.
- Chung SH, Yu JH, Kim EJ, Ryu KS. 1996. Blood glucose lowering effect of silkworm. Bull K H Pharma Sci 24: 95-100.
- Jang MJ, Rhee SJ. 2004. Hypoglycimic Effects of pills made of mulberry leaves and silkworm powder in streptozotocin- induced diabetic rats. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 33: 1611-1617. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2004.33.10.1611
- Oh UJ, Kim GP, Cho YW, Chung SH, Gu SJ. 1999. Effect of beverage containing extract from mulberry leaves on serum glucose and lipid levels in db/db mouse. Annual Meeting of Korean Soc Food Sci Technol, Seoul. p 430.
- Avram AS, Avram MM, James WD. 2005. Subcutanous fat in normal and diseased status: 2. Anatomy and physiology of white and brown adipose tissue. J Am Acad Dermatol 53: 671-683. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jaad.2005.05.015
- Chen F, Nakashima N, Kimura I, Kimura M. 1995. Hypoglycemic activity and mechanisms of extracts from mulberry leaves (folium mori) and cortex mori radicis in streptozotocin- induced diabetic mice. Yakugaku Zasshi 115: 476-482. https://doi.org/10.1248/yakushi1947.115.6_476
- Inkeles S, Eisenberg D. 1981. Hyperlipidemia and coronary atherosclerosis. Medicine (Baltimore) 60: 110-123. https://doi.org/10.1097/00005792-198103000-00004
- Manninen V, Tenkanen L, Koskinen P, Huttunen JK, Manntari M, Heinonen OP, Frick MH. 1992. Triglycerides and LDL-cholesterol concentrations on coronary heart disease risk in the Helsinki Heart Study. Circulation 85: 37-45. https://doi.org/10.1161/01.CIR.85.1.37
- Cha JY, Cho YS. 1999. Effect of potato polyphenolics on hyperlipidemia in rats. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 29: 274-279.
- Matsumoto N, Okushio K, Hara Y. 1998. Effect of black tea polyphenols on plasma lipids in cholesterol-fed rats. J Nutr Sci Vitaminol 44: 337-342. https://doi.org/10.3177/jnsv.44.337
- Kim SY, Lee WC, Kim HB, Kim AJ, Kim SK. 1998. Antihyperlipidemic effects of methanol extracts from mulberry leaves in cholesterol induced hyperlipidemia in rats. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 27: 1217-1222.
- Doi K, Kojima T, Harada M, Horiguchi Y, Hujimoto Y. 1999. Effect of various fractions extracted from mulberry leaves on lipid metabolism in rabbit fed a cholesterol diet. J Jpn Soc Nutr Food Sci 52: 85-90. https://doi.org/10.4327/jsnfs.52.85
- Ascaso JF, Fernandez-Cruz A, Gonzalez SP, Hernandez MA, Mangas RA, Millan J, Felipe PL, Pedro-Botet J, Perez-Jimenez F, Pia G, Pinto X. 2004. Significance of HDL-cholesterol in cardiovascular risk prevention: recommendations of the HDL forum. Am J Cardiovasc Drugs 4: 299-314. https://doi.org/10.2165/00129784-200404050-00003
- Lee JS, Lee MK, Ha TY, Bok SH, Park HM, Jeong KS, Woo MN, Do GM, Yeo JY, Choi MS. 2006. Supplementation of whole persimmon leaf improves lipid profiles and suppresses body weight gain in rats fed high-fat diet. Food Chem Toxicol 44: 1875-1883. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fct.2006.06.014
- Jang JY, Choi HY. 2003. Effects of Artemisia iwayomogi oligosaccharide on the blood lipids, abdominal adipose tissues and leptin levels in the obese rats. Korean J Nutr 36: 437-445.
- Schulz H. 1987. Inhibitors of fatty acid oxidation. Life Sci 40: 1443-1449. https://doi.org/10.1016/0024-3205(87)90375-4
- Effect of Diets with Mulberry Leaf and Cudrania tricuspidata Leaf Powder Supplements on Blood Glucose-Related Biomarkers in Streptozotocin-Induced Diabetic Rats vol.41, pp.6, 2012, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2012.41.6.766
- Effects of Cucurbita moschata, Adlay Seed, and Cudrania tricuspidata Leaf Mixed-powder Diet Supplements on the Visceral Fat, Fecal Amount, and Serum Lipid Levels of the Rats on a High-Fat Diet vol.25, pp.4, 2012, https://doi.org/10.9799/ksfan.2012.25.4.990
- Effects of Puffed and Fermented Red Ginseng on Blood Glucose-related Biomarkers in Streptozotocin-Induced Diabetic Rats vol.41, pp.5, 2012, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2012.41.5.630
- Effects of Alginate Oligosaccharide on Lipid Metabolism in Mice Fed a High Cholesterol Diet vol.43, pp.4, 2014, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2014.43.4.491
- Effect of Diets with Job's Tears and Cudrania tricuspidata Leaf Mixed-powder Supplements on Body Fat and Serum Lipid Levels in Rats Fed a High-Fat Diet vol.41, pp.7, 2012, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2012.41.7.943
- Anti-diabetic Activities of Kocat-D1 in 3T3-L1 Adipocytes and C57BL/KsJ-db/db Mice vol.39, pp.5, 2010, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2010.39.5.692
- Effect of Diets with Red Yeast Sweet Potato Powder Supplement on Fecal Amount and Lipid Metabolism in Rats Fed a High-fat Diet vol.41, pp.4, 2012, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2012.41.4.487
- Anti-diabetic Activity of Germinated Ilpum Rough Rice Extract Supplement in Mice vol.41, pp.3, 2012, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2012.41.3.339
- Anti-diabetic effects of Allium tuberosum rottler extracts and lactic acid bacteria fermented extracts in type 2 diabetic mice model vol.22, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.11002/kjfp.2015.22.1.134
- Effect of Sodium Butyrate on Blood Glucose, Serum Lipid Profile and Inflammation in Streptozotocin-induced Diabetic Mice vol.28, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.9799/ksfan.2015.28.2.171
- Effects of Phytoplant Diets on Body Weight, Feces Production, Body Fat, and Serum Lipid Levels in High-fat Diet-induced Hyperlipidemic Rats vol.46, pp.4, 2014, https://doi.org/10.9721/KJFST.2014.46.4.477
- Anti-hyperlipidemic Activity of Albizzia julibrissin and Cassia tora L. Extract Mixtures in Rats Fed with High-fat Diets vol.46, pp.2, 2014, https://doi.org/10.9721/KJFST.2014.46.2.231
- Anti-diabetic Effects of Barnyard Millet Miryang 3 [Echinochloa esculenta (A. Braun)] Grains on Blood Glucose in C57BL/KsJ-db/db Mice vol.25, pp.11, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2015.25.11.1265
- Effect on the Inhibition of Pancreatic Lipase and Lipid Metabolism of Zanthoxylum piperitum Extracts vol.26, pp.4, 2013, https://doi.org/10.9799/ksfan.2013.26.4.615