- Volume 38 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
A Study on Food Frequency, Dietary Habits and Nutrition Knowledge of the Elderly Who Intake High Sodium
고 나트륨 섭취 노인의 영양지식, 식습관 및 식품섭취패턴
- Jang, Ja-Young (Dept. of Food Science and Nutrition, and Research Institutes of Ecology for the Elderly, Pusan National University) ;
- Kim, Mi-Jeong (Dept. of Food Science and Nutrition, and Research Institutes of Ecology for the Elderly, Pusan National University) ;
- Han, Ji-Sook (Dept. of Food Science and Nutrition, and Research Institutes of Ecology for the Elderly, Pusan National University)
- Published : 2009.10.31
This study was carried out to broadly profile the dietary pattern of elderly who consumed a higher amount of sodium compared to lesser sodium consumers. Na index 14, an instant food frequency questionnaire (IFFQ) of 40 items characterizing a high amount of sodium and a food frequency questionnaire of 63 food items that were used in nationwide surveys were adopted for the assessment of dietary characteristics of the subjects. The Na index 14 consisted of food items such as kimchi stew, bean paste stew, cooked spinach dish, seaweed soup, fish stew, roasted anchovy, and seasoned vegetables. Also, the survey constructs included nutritional knowledge and anthropometric measurements of the subjects. Out a total of 135 participants, 58 elderly were determined as the high sodium intake group (HSIG) and the other 77 were the control group, via a formerly validated Na index and sodium-associated dietary habits scale (SDH). Dietary habits of "add salt or soy sauce to foods", "drink up the broth of soups and stews", and "brined fishes and vegetables daily" were among the most significant differences between HSIG and control group in SDH assessment. In addition, the HSIG were less likely to have regular meals, adequate amount of meals, and nutritionally balanced meals than the control, with the differences manifesting more in females than males. Additional findings included that the HSIG possessed a poorer nutritional knowledge and obtained much higher scores on the IFFQ. Taken together, the study urges the needs of nutrition education for the elderly who habitually salt their foods and maintain a less desirable dietary style.
- Choe JS, Kwon SO, Paik HY. 2006. Nutritional status and related factors of the elderly in longevity areas－Ⅲ. Relation among self-rated health, health-related behaviors, and nutrient intake in rural elderly－. Korean J Nutr 39: 286-298.
- 보건복지부 사회복지 정책실. 2005. 전국 노인 생활 실태 및 복지 욕구조사. 보건복지부.
- Son SM, Huh GY, Lee HS. 2005. Development and evaluation of validity of dish frequency questionnaire (DFQ) and short DFQ using Na index for estimation of habitual sodium intake. Korean J Community Nutrition 10: 677-692.
- Ministry for health and welfare. 2006. Report on 2005 National Health and Nutrition Survey (dietary intake survey).
- 한국보건사회연구원. 2002. 서울시민의 건강수준 및 의료이용 실태. 한국보건사회연구원.
- Moon HK, Joung HJ. 1999. Dietary risk factors of hypertension in the elderly. Korean J Nutr 32: 90-100.
- Kang NE, Lee JY. 2005. The analysis of effect on nutrition education program for the elderly in Sung-nam area. Korean J Food & Nutr 18: 357-366.
- Lim YJ, Choi YS. 2008. Dietary behaviors and seasonal diversity of food intakes of elderly women living alone as compared to those living with family in Gyeongbuk rural area. Korean J Community Nutrition 13: 620-629.
- Park MY, Chun BY, Jo SJ, Jeong GB, Huh CH, Kim GR, Park PS. 2008. A comparison of food and nutrient intake status of aged females in a rural long life community by the stage model of dietary behavior change. Korean J Community Nutrition 13: 34-45.
- Lim YJ, Choi YS. 2007. Seasonal nutrient intakes of elderly women living alone as compared to those living with family in the Gyeongbuk rural area. Korean J Community Nutrition 12: 58-67.
- Yoon HJ, Lee HK, Lee SK. 2007. The health status and nutrient intakes of elderly female in Daegu area. Korean J Community Nutrition 12: 50-57.
- Lee YN, Lee HJ, Lee HS, Jang YA, Kim CI. 2006. Nutritional status and its improvement strategy of the elderly living alone. 2006 Symposium of the Korean Society of Community Nutrition Proceedings. p 16-34.
- Kim MW, Han HK, Choi SS, Lee SD. 2005. A study on dietary pattern and nutritional status of the long-lived elderly people by food habit index in Ganghwa-gun area. Korean J Community Nutrition 10: 892-904.
- Cha BK. 2005. A study on nutritional intakes in elderly people in Wando area. Korean J Community Nutrition 10: 880-891.
- Kim HY, Kim MH, Hong SG, Hwang SJ, Park MH. 2005. A study on the nutrient intake, health risk factors, blood health status in elderly Korean women living alone. Korean J Community Nutrition 10: 216-223.
- Han HK, Choi SS, Kim MW, Lee SD. 2005. Food habits and nutritional status of the long-lived elderly people in Ganghwa-gun area. Korean J Community Nutrition 10: 101-110.
- Yim KS. 2008. The effects of a nutrition education program for hypertensive female elderly at the public health center. Korean J Community Nutrition 13: 640-652.
- Kim MJ, Kim JH. 2008. Dietary antioxidant vitamins intakes and plasma antioxidant levels in Korean elderly with diabetes living in Ulsan. Korean J Community Nutrition 13: 276-287.
- Yoon HJ, Lee SK. 2006. Effect of home-visit nutrition education for the elderly with high fasting blood glucose levels. Korean J Community Nutrition 11: 346-360.
- Kim JH, Kim MJ, Kwak HK. 2006. Obesity indices and plasma total antioxidant status in hypertensive elderly living in Ulsan area. Korean J Community Nutrition 11: 279-288.
- Chung SH, Sohn CM. 2005. Nutritional status of hospitalized geriatric patients using by the mini nutritional assessment. Korean J Community Nutrition 10: 645-653.
- Yoon HJ. 2004. The assessment of dietary behavior and nutritional status of the elderly and effect of meal service and nutrition education on nutritional status of the elderly in risk of malnutrition. MS Thesis. Pusan National University, Busan, Korea.
- Park SJ. 2004. Evaluation nutrient intake limiting factors and recipe development for the elderly. PhD Dissertation. Seoul National University, Seoul, Korea.
- Huh GY. 2003. Risk factors of hypertension and development of FFQ and nutrition education program. PhD Dissertation. Catholic University, Seoul, Korea.
- Korean Nutrition Association. 2005. Dietary reference intakes for Koreans. Korean Nutrition Association.
- Lee JY. 2001. A study of salt consumption and related factors among adult females. Korean Food & Nutr 14: 430-440.
- Son SM, Heo KY. 2002. Salt intake and nutritional problems in Korean. Korean J Community Nutrition 7: 381-390.
- Kim HW, Kim YJ, Bae SK, Shim GS. 2001. Studies on the principal taste components in soup base of commercial ramyons. Korean J Food Sci & Technol 33: 28-32.
- Lee BS, Kim MS, Kim YS, Lee NS, Kwon KJ, Lee YS. 2007. The elderly nutrition care for the elderly welfare . Kwangmoonkag, Seoul, Korea.
- Study on the Salt-Related Dietary Behaviors according to the Stage of Change Model for Salt-Related Intake of Middle School Students in Gyeongsangbuk-do Area vol.30, pp.6, 2014, https://doi.org/10.9724/kfcs.2014.30.6.687
- A Study on Eating Out Behavior and Recognition of Salinity in Restaurant Food in Jecheon Area vol.30, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7318/KJFC/2015.30.1.020
- A Study on the Knowledge, Dietary Behavior related to Sodium, Attitudes towards a Low-Salt Diet of Adults in the Jeonbuk Area vol.22, pp.4, 2013, https://doi.org/10.5934/kjhe.2013.22.4.693
- The Study on Dietary Behavior and Health Related Behaviors of Self Perceived Sodium Intake Groups vol.29, pp.6, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7318/KJFC/2014.29.6.511
- A study on hypertension relevant nutritional knowledge and dietary practices in Chinese college students studying in South Korea vol.48, pp.5, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4163/jnh.2015.48.5.441
- A Study on Worker's Dietary Life according to Workplace Scale vol.29, pp.6, 2016, https://doi.org/10.9799/ksfan.2016.29.6.1058
- Effects of Dietary Education on Low-sodium Diet Adaptation vol.29, pp.2, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7318/KJFC/2014.29.2.212
- Dietary Patterns among the Elderly in Jeollanam-do Area based on Their Physical and Mental Function State vol.26, pp.4, 2013, https://doi.org/10.9799/ksfan.2013.26.4.783
- Salt-Related Dietary Attitudes, Behaviors, and Nutrition Knowledge of University Students according to Estimated Salt Intake Using Urinary Salt Signal vol.44, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2015.44.2.226
- A Study on Sodium-related Dietary Attitude and Behaviors According to Sodium-related Nutrition Knowledge of University Students vol.20, pp.5, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5720/kjcn.2015.20.5.327
- A Study on Dietary Behaviors, and the Health of Male Adults according to Their Exercising Habits vol.26, pp.3, 2013, https://doi.org/10.9799/ksfan.2013.26.3.329
- Correlation analysis of sodium-related knowledge, dietary behavior, attitudes towards a low-salt diet and meal attitude guidance for elementary school teachers in Jeonbuk area vol.50, pp.2, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4163/jnh.2017.50.2.180
- Associations Between Excessive Sodium Intake and Smoking and Alcohol Intake Among Korean Men: KNHANES V vol.12, pp.12, 2015, https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph121215001
- Food Safety and Nutrition Education Program for Elderly and Assessment of Program Effectiveness Based on Health Belief Model vol.45, pp.9, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2016.45.9.1366
- Investigation of Food Safety Knowledge, Attitudes, and Behavior for Analyzing Food Safety Risk Factors in the Elderly vol.45, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2016.45.5.746
- Relationship of dietary self-efficacy and illness beliefs, perceived benefits and perceived barriers for the reduction of sodium intake in the elderly vol.45, pp.4, 2012, https://doi.org/10.4163/kjn.2012.45.4.324
- An Analysis of Food Consumption Patterns of the Elderly from the Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (KNHANES Ⅴ-1) vol.42, pp.5, 2013, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2013.42.5.818
- The relationship between lifestyle and sodium intake in Korean middle-aged workers vol.15, pp.5, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.5.2923
- The Effects of Low-sodium Diet Education Program on Dietary Habits, Diet Quality and Obesity Index in Overweight and Obese Middle-aged Women vol.19, pp.6, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5720/kjcn.2014.19.6.513
- Comparative analysis of dietary behavior and nutrient intake of elderly in urban and rural areas for development of “Village Lunch Table” program: Based on 2014 Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey data vol.50, pp.2, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4163/jnh.2017.50.2.171
- Evaluation of the sodium intake reduction plan for a local government and evidence-based reestablishment of objectives: Case of the Seoul Metropolitan Government vol.50, pp.6, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4163/jnh.2017.50.6.664