- Volume 38 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Development of High Calcium Dishes for Elementary School Lunch and Perception on Calcium Supply by School Dietitian
초등학교 급식을 위한 고칼슘음식 개발과 영양사들의 칼슘공급에 대한 인식
- Chang, Soon-Ok (Dept. of Food and Nutrition, College of Human Ecology, The University of Suwon) ;
- Bae, Sun-Kyung (Nutrition Education Major, Graduate School of Education, The University of Suwon)
- Published : 2009.10.31
To increase the intake of calcium in elementary school children, 20 high calcium dishes (HCD) were developed. The pictures of HCD with the calories, calcium content, and the price per serving were given for the evaluation of HCD to 118 school dietitians. Along with the evaluation, a questionnaire concerning the perception on calcium nutrient and calcium fortified foods (CFF), the use of school milk and CFF, and the need and their endeavor for HCD was administered. Over 90% of subjects were aware of the importance of calcium in school lunch menu and 80% of them recognized the necessity for exploring HCD, though their endeavor remained at a 30% level. HCD that reached the requirement of calcium for the school lunch was 3 and the preference response over 4 (maximum 5) was 2 HCD with better acceptance by younger subjects. 70.3% of subjects were aware of CFF and their response on them were diverse as a positive conception 42%, negative 33% and willing to use 40%, not to use 40%. The dietitians who provided school milk or willing to develop HCD were more positive to use CFF. These results indicate that school milk is the most important calcium source and further pursue for HCD and CFF is needed to achieve the calcium requirement for the elementary school lunch.
- Ministry of Education and Human Resources Department. 2009. 학교급식 실시 현황.
- Ryu MJ. 2003. Nutritional management and a foodstuff use for elementary schools in Busan area. MS Thesis. Kosin University, Seoul, Korea.
- Son EJ, Moon HK. 2004. Evaluation of elementary school lunch menus (1): Based on food diversity and nutrient contents. J Korean Diet Assoc 10: 47-57.
- Kim SH, Kim SH. 1983. A survey of nutritional status, physical growth and behavior of school children. Korean J Nutr 16: 2-53.
- Korean Health Industry Development Institute/ Ministry of Health and Welfare. 2009. The Forth Korean National Health and Nutrition Survey (KNHANES IV) 2007－First Year Report.
- Korean Society of Nutrition. 2005. Dietary Reference Intakes for Koreans. Seoul, Korea. p 201-207.
- Teegarden D, Weaver CM. 1994. Calcium supplementation increases bone density in adolescent girls. Nutr Rev 52: 171-173. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1753-4887.1994.tb01414.x
- You CH, Lee JS, Lee IH, Kim SH, Lee SS, Joung IK. 2002. Nutritional factors related to bone mineral density in the different age groups of Korean women. Korean J Nutr 35: 779-790.
- Chang SO. 2005. A study on the bioavailability of calcium in eggshell powder fortified ramen in the growing rats. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 34: 1195-1201. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2005.34.8.1195
- Heaney RP. 1989. Nutritional factors in bone health in elderly subjects: methodological and contextual problems. Am J Clin Nutr 50: 1182-1189. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/50.5.1182
- Johnson NE, Smith EL, Freudenheim JL. 1991. Effect on blood pressure of calcium supplementation of women. Am J Clin Nutr 53: 542-546. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/53.2.542
- Lee JW, Lee EY, Lee BK. 1999. Effect of calcium supplementation on blood pressure response to dietary sodium level in normotensive young korean women with family history of hypertension. Korean J Nutr 32: 661-671.
- NIH Consensus Statement. Optimal calcium intake. 1994. J Am Med Assoc 272: 1942-1948. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.272.24.1942
- Lim KS. 2002. 학교급식 영양관리모델 개발에 관한 연구. Ministry of Education and Human Resources Department.
- Park SI. 1996. Analysis of food and nutrient intake of menu for elementary school food services in Seoul. Korean J Dietary Culture 11: 61-69.
- Jung HJ, Moon SJ, Lee LH, Yu CH, Paik HY, Yang IS, Moon HK. 1997. Evaluation of elementary schoolservice menus on its nutrient contents and diversity of food served. Korean J Nutr 30: 854-869.
- You YS. 1996. The consciousness of primary school children and their parents about school food service and food preference of children in Korea and Japan. Korean J Dietary Culture 11: 13-21.
- Park MH, Choi YS, Kim YJ. 2002. Comparisons of food preference and nutrient intake of students of elementary school and middle school providing school food service in Nam Jeju Gun. J Korean Diet Assoc 8: 342-358.
- Hong KJ, Lee JW, Park MS, Cho YS. 2007. A study on the promotion of adolescent's milk consumption (I)－milk preference and intake patterns of urban adolescents－. J Korean Diet Assoc 13: 61-72.
- Park MS, Hong KJ, Cho YS, Lee JW. 2007. A study on the promotion of adolescent's milk consumption (II)－relationship of adolescent's milk intake frequency with food attitude, snacking frequency, physical activity and school vending facilities－. J Korean Diet Assoc 13: 73-83.
- Cho MY. 2001. A study on utilization and consumption promotion of seafood in elementary school lunch program. MS Thesis. Yonsei University, Seoul, Korea.
- Lee YJ, Chang KJ. 1998. Preliminary study on the establishment of proper portion using consumed size and food preference of frequently served meals in the elementary school lunch program in Inchon. J Korean Diet Assoc 4: 132-144.
- Rozin P. 1990. Acquisition of staple food preferences. Nutr Reviews 48: 106-113. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1753-4887.1990.tb02912.x
- 장유경, 변기원, 이보경, 이종현, 이홍미, 조영연. 2006. 임상영 양관리. 효일문화사, 서울. p 397.
- 최영선, 박혜련, 김혜영, 장순옥, 이혜성. 2006. 최신 영양학. 효일문화사, 서울. p 392.
- Bae SY, Park SI. 2002. A study on children's satisfaction with food service in elementary schools in Seoul area (side dishes). Korean J Dietary Culture 17: 37-48.
- Oh YM. 2006. Nutritional analysis of milddle school lunch service menu in Daejeon and development of menu enriched with calcium. MS Thesis. Chungnam National University, Daejeon, Korea.
- Lim KS, Lee TY. 1998. Menu analysis of the national school lunch program. J Korean Diet Assoc 4: 193-197.
- Oh CY. 2006. Development of national food fortification implement framework in Korea. Korea Food and Drug Administration.
- Chang SO. 1998. Current status of nutrient fortification in processed foods and nutrition labeling. Korean Diet Assoc 4: 165-166.
- Park YMK, McDowell MA, Hanson EA, Yetley EA. 2001. History of cereal-grain product fortification in the United States. Nutrition Today 36: 124-137. https://doi.org/10.1097/00017285-200105000-00007
- Suojanen A, Raulio S, Ovaskainen M-L. 2002. Liberal fortification of foods: the risks. A study relating Finland. J Epidemiol Community Health 56: 259-264. https://doi.org/10.1136/jech.56.4.259
- Oh CY. 2009. A strategy for safe addition of selected micronutrients to foods for children. Korean J Nutr 42: 128-134. https://doi.org/10.4163/kjn.2009.42.2.128
- Chang SO. 1999. Current status of nutrient fortification in processed foods and food fortification policies in other countries. Korean Diet Assoc 5: 205-214.
- Current and Future Operation of Menu Management in the School Foodservices of Chungbuk (1) - Menu Planning - vol.41, pp.8, 2012, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2012.41.8.1118
- Study on the Dietary Habit, Nutrient Intake, and Health Status According to Their Majors Among College Women in Sahmyook University vol.39, pp.6, 2010, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2010.39.6.826
- Nutritional Composition and Cytoprotective Effect of Moringa oleifera Lam. vol.46, pp.5, 2014, https://doi.org/10.9721/KJFST.2014.46.5.609
- Parathyroid Hormone, Calcium, and Sodium Bridging Between Osteoporosis and Hypertension in Postmenopausal Korean Women vol.96, pp.5, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00223-015-9972-x