- Volume 38 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Effect of Organic Acid Pre-Treatment followed by Hydrothermal Treatment on Antioxidant Activity of Rice Hull Extract
유기산 전처리 후 수열처리가 왕겨 추출물의 항산화능에 미치는 영향
- Park, Sun-Min (Dept. of Food Science and Biotechnology, Kyungnam University) ;
- Lee, Seung-Cheol (Dept. of Food Science and Biotechnology, Kyungnam University)
- Published : 2009.10.31
Antioxidative effects of rice hull extracts pre-treatment with various organic acids were evaluated. After incubating rice hull in 50 mM of five different organic acid solutions (acetic, citric, lactic, phosphoric, and tartaric acid) for 18 hours at room temperature, hydrothermal treatment at
- Moure A, Cruz JM, Franco D, Dominguez JM, Sineiro J, Dominguez H, Nunez MJ, Parajo JC. 2001. Natural antioxidants from residual sources. Food Chem 72: 145-171. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0308-8146(00)00223-5
- Larson RA. 1988. The antioxidants of higher plants. Phytochemistry 27: 969-978. https://doi.org/10.1016/0031-9422(88)80254-1
- Tsuda T, Osawa T, Ohshima K, Kawakishi S. 1994. Antioxidative pigments isolated from the seeds of Phaseolus vulgaris L. J Agric Food Chem 42: 248-251. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf00038a004
- Ramarathnam N, Osawa T, Namiki M, Kawakishi S. 1989. Chemical studies on novel rice hull antioxidants. 2. Identification of isovitexin, a c-glycosyl flavonoid. J Agric Food Chem 37: 316-319. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf00086a009
- Wu K, Zhang W, Addis PB, Epley RJ, Salih AM, Lehrfeld J. 1994. Antioxidant properties of wild rice. J Agric Food Chem 42: 34-37. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf00037a004
- Asamarai AM, Addis PB, Epley RJ, Krick TP. 1996. Wild rice hull antioxidants. J Agric Food Chem 44: 126-130. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf940651c
- Niwa Y, Kanoh T, Kasama T, Neigishi M. 1988. Activation of antioxidant activity in natural medicinal products by heating, brewing and lipophilization. A new drug delivery system. Drugs Exp Clin Res 14: 361-372.
- Lee SC, Lim JH, Jeong SM, Kim DR, Ha JU, Nam KC, Ahn DU. 2003. Effect of far-infrared radiation on the antioxidant activity of rice hulls. J Agric Food Chem 51: 4400-4403. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf0300285
- Park JH, Jin JH, Kim HJ, Park HR, Lee SC. 2005. Effect of far-infrared irradiation on the antioxidant activity of extracts from rice hulls. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 34: 131-134. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2005.34.1.131
- Lee SC, Kim JH, Nam KC, Ahn DU. 2003. Antioxidant properties of far infrared treated rice hull extract in irradiated raw and cooked turkey breast. J Food Sci 68: 1904-1909. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.2003.tb06991.x
- Nam KC, Kim JH, Ahn DU, Lee SC. 2004. Far-infrared radiation increases the antioxidant properties of rice hull extract in cooked turkey meat. J Agric Food Chem 52: 374-379. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf035103q
- Jeon KI, Park EJ, Park HR, Jeon YJ, Lee SC. 2006. Antioxidant activity of rice hull extracts on reactive oxygen species scavenging and oxidative DNA damage in human lymphocytes. J Med Food 9: 42-48. https://doi.org/10.1089/jmf.2006.9.42
- Park SM, Lee SC. 2009. Effect of hydrothermal treatment on the antioxidant activity of rice hull extracts. Food Sci Biotechnol in press.
- Gutfinger T. 1981. Polyphenols in olive oils. J Am Oil Chem Soc 58: 966-968. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02659771
- Blois MS. 1958. Antioxidant determination by the use of a stable free radical. Nature 181: 1199-1200. https://doi.org/10.1038/1811199a0
- Oyaizu M. 1986. Studies on products of browning reaction: Antioxidative activities of products of browning reaction prepared from glucosamine. J pn J Nutr 44: 307-315. https://doi.org/10.5264/eiyogakuzashi.44.307
- Muller HE. 1985. Detection of hydrogen peroxide produced by microorganism on ABTS-peroxidase medium. Zentralbl Bakteriol Mikrobiol Hyg 259: 151-158.
- SAS Institute. 1995. SAS/STAT User's Guide. SAS Institute Inc., Cary, NC.
- Shahidi F, Wanasundara PK. 1992. Phenolic antioxidant. Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr 32: 67-103. https://doi.org/10.1080/10408399209527581
- Yamaguchi T, Takamura H, Matoba T, Terao J. 1998. HPLC method for evaluation of the free radical-scavenging activity of foods by using 1,1-diphenyl-2-picrylhydrazyl. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem 62: 1201-1204. https://doi.org/10.1271/bbb.62.1201
- Lee SO, Kim MJ, Kim DG, Choi HJ. 2005. Antioxidative activities of temperature-stepwise water extracts from Inonotus obliquus. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 34: 139-147. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2005.34.2.139
- Wang MF, Shao Y, Yi JG, Zhu NQ, Rngarajan M, Lavoie EJ, Ho CT. 1998. Antioxidative phenolic compounds from sage (Salivia officinalis). J Agric Food Chem 46: 4869-4873. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf980614b
- Herrmann K. 1989. Occurrence and content of hydroxycinnamic and hydroxybenzoic acid compounds in foods. Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr 28: 315-347. https://doi.org/10.1080/10408398909527504
- Niwa Y, Miyachi Y. 1986. Antioxidant action of natural health products and chinese herbs. Inflammation 10: 79-91. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00916043
- Kosr M, Dorman HJD, Hiltunen R. 2005. Effect of an acid treatment on the phytochemical and antioxidant characteristics of extracts from selected Lamiaceae species. Food Chem 91: 525-533. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2004.06.029
- Waterman PG, Mole S. 1994. Qualitative and quantitative separation methods. In Methods in Ecology: Analysis of Phenolic Plant Metabolites. Blackwell Scientific Publications, Oxford, UK. p 143-167.
- Schlesier K, Harwat M, Bohm V, Bitsch R. 2002. Assessment of antioxidant activity by using different in vitro methods. Free Radic Res 36: 177-187. https://doi.org/10.1080/10715760290006411
- Diplock AT. 1997. Will the good fairies please prove to us that vitamin E lessens human degenerative disease? Free Radic Res 27: 511-532. https://doi.org/10.3109/10715769709065791
- Valorization of the major agrifood industrial by-products and waste from Central Macedonia (Greece) for the recovery of compounds for food applications vol.65, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodres.2014.09.013
- Impact of alkaline or acid digestion to antioxidant activity, phenolic content and composition of rice hull extracts vol.54, pp.1, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lwt.2013.05.005