- Volume 38 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Food Components by Kinds of Bigum Spinach Growing in Jeonnam Shinan
전남 신안에서 재배되는 비금 섬초의 품종별 식품성분
- Jung, Bok-Mi (Food Science and Nutrition, Chonnam National University) ;
- Kang, Eun-A (Nutrition Education, Graduate School of Education, Chonnam National University) ;
- Shin, Tai-Sun (Food Science and Nutrition, Chonnam National University)
- Published : 2009.10.31
This study was to investigate food components of Bigum spinach growing in Jeonnam Shinan. The samples used in this study were Pohang spinach of inland and jo-saeng, chung-saeng, man-saeng, chungman-saeng spinach of Bigum located on Jeonnam Shinan. We analyzed proximate composition, mineral content, germanium, organic acid, free sugar, vitamin A, C, and E contents. We conducted the sensory evaluation after blanching and color changes of before and after blanching of 5 kinds of spinach. The results were as follows: moisture and ash contents were significantly higher in Pohang spinach than Bigum spinach. Crude protein, carbohydrates and crude fiber contents were higher in Bigum spinach than Pohang spinach. In mineral contents, potassium and zinc contents were higher in Pohang spinach than Bigum spinach whereas calcium, iron, magnesium, manganese, sodium contents were higher in Bigum spinach than Pohang spinach. Germanium contents was 14.06
- Moon BS, Lee KS. 1995. Food material. Soohaksa, Seoul, Korea. p 76.
- Hyun YH, Koo BS, Song CE, Kim DS. 2000. Food material. Hyungsul Press, Seoul, Korea. p 87-89.
- Lee US. 1994. Korean vegetable . Kyungpook National University Press, Daegu, Korea. p 147-156.
- Park SS, Jang MS, Lee KH. 1994. Effect of blanching condition on the chemical composition of the spinach grown in winter green house. J Korean Soc Food Nutr 23: 62-67.
- Lim SJ. 1992. Retention of ascorbic acid in vegetable as influenced by various blanching methods. Korean J Soc Food Sci 8: 411-419.
- http://naver.com Doosan Encyclopedia.
- Jang MS, Kim NY. 1994. The phytochemical properties of different kinds of spinach by various levels of salt in blanching water. MS Thesis. Dankook University, Seoul, Korea.
- Yeoung YR, Jung MK, Lee MR, Hong SJ, Chun CH. 2004. Growth and yield response between direct seeding and transplanting in summer cultivation of spinach in alpine area. Kor J Hort Sci Technol 22: 278-282.
- Lee MR, Yeoung YR, Kim BS, Hong SJ. 2004. Changes in quality attributes during PE film storage of summer spinach 'Kwangchae' grown in alpine area. Kor J Hort Sci Technol 22: 288-293.
- Lim JW. 2001. Improvement of quality and productivity of spinach under protected cultivation in the summer season. PhD Dissertation. Paichai University, Daejeon, Korea. p 1-56.
- Lee CH. 1983. A study on content of the minerals in spinach. MS Thesis. Pusan National University, Busan, Korea. p 4-36.
- Min HS. 1998. Changes of folate content in spinach by cooking and storage. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 27: 286-290.
- Iwatani Y, Arcot J, Shrestha A. 2003. Determination of folate contents in some Australian vegetables. J Food Compost Anal 16: 37-48. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0889-1575(02)00159-X
- Nisha P, Singhal R, pandit A. 2005. A study on degradation kinetics of riboflavin in spinach (Spinacea oleracea L). J Food Engineering 67: 407-412. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfoodeng.2004.05.008
- Zhu YG, Huang YW, Lin YX. 2003. Iodine uptake by spinach culture: effects of iodine species and solution concentrations. Environ Int 29: 33-37. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0160-4120(02)00129-0
- Lee EY, Kim YA. 1994. Effects of heat treatment on the dietary fiber contents of soybean sprout and spinach. Korean J Soc Food Sci 10: 381-385.
- Kim ES, Im KJ. 1977. A study on oxalic acid and calcium content in Koreans foods. Korean J Nutrition 10: 104-110.
- Jaworska G. 2005. Content of nitrates, nitrites, and oxalates in New Zealand spinach. Food Chem 89: 235-242. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2004.02.030
- Savage GP, Vanhanen L, Mason SM, Ross AB. 2000. Effect of cooking on the soluble and insoluble oxalate content of some New Zealand foods. J Food Compost Anal 13: 201-206. https://doi.org/10.1006/jfca.2000.0879
- Kim YH. 1973. A study on the variation of vitamin C content in cooked spinach by the cookery method. The Korean Home Econ Assoc 11: 44-56.
- Favell D. 1988. A comparison of the vitamin C content of fresh and frozen vegetables. Food Chem 62: 59-64. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0308-8146(97)00165-9
- Lee DY, Yoon HS. 1998. The change of nitrate, nitrite and ascorbic acid content in spinach as processing and storaging. Aeric Res Bull Kyungpook National Univ 6: 113-120.
- Lee SH, Choe EO, Lee HG, Park KH. 2001. Factors affecting the components of chlorophyll pigment in spinach during storage. J Korean Soc Agric Chem Biotechnol 44: 73-80.
- Lopez-Ayerra B, Murcia M, Garcia-Carmona F. 1998. Lipid peroxidation and chlorophyll levels in spinach during refrigerated storage and after industrial processing. Food Chem 61: 113-118. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0308-8146(97)00099-X
- Lee AR. 1992. Changes in color of spinach leaves by blanching. Korean J Soc Food Sci 8: 15-20.
- Maeda N, Hada T, Murakami-Nakai C, Kuriyama I, Ichikawa H, Fukumory Y, Hiratsuka J, Yoshida H, Sakaguchi K, Mizushina Y. 2005. Effects of DNA polymerase inhibitory and antitumor activities of lipase-hydrolyzed glycolipid fractions from spinach. J Nutr Biochem 16: 121-128. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jnutbio.2004.08.005
- Matsubara K, Matsumoto H, Mizushinal Y, Mori M, Nakajima N, Fuchigami M, Yoshida H, Hada T. 2005. Inhibitory effect of glycolipids from spinach on in vitamin and ex vivo angiogenesis. Oncol Rep 14: 157-160.
- Park JY, Heo JC, Woo SU, Shin HM, Kwon TK, Lee JM, Chung SK, Lee SH. 2007. Spinacia oleracea extract protects against chemical-induced neuronal cell death. Korean J Food Preserv 14: 425-430.
- Kim NY, Yoon SJ, Jang MS. 1992. Effect of blanching on the chemical properties of different kind of spinach. Korean J Soc Food Sci 9: 204-209.
- AOAC. 1990. Official Methods of Analysis. 15th ed. The Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Washington, DC, USA. p 31.
- The Korean Nutrition Society. 2000. Recommended Dietary Allowances for Koreans. 7th revision.
- Lee MH. 2005. A study on changes of nutritive components during growth periods and cooking methods of spinach. PhD Dissertation. Yeungnam University, Gyeongbuk, Korea.
- Kawashima LM, Valente Soares LM. 2003. Mineral profile of raw and cooked leafy vegetable consumed in southern Brazil. J Food Compost Anal 16: 605-611. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0889-1575(03)00057-7
- Hong JJ, Ahn TH. 2005. Changes in phytochemical compounds and hazardous factors of spinach by blanching methods. Korean J Food Sci Technol 37: 268-273.
- Studies on Organic Acid, Vitamin and Free Sugar Contents of Commercial Dried Lavers (Porphyra yezoensis) Cultivated in Korea vol.43, pp.1, 2014, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2014.43.1.172
- Food Components of Different Parts of Cheonnyuncho (Opuntia humifusa) Harvested from Yeosu, Jeonnam in Korea vol.40, pp.9, 2011, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2011.40.9.1271
- Antioxidative Components and Anti-Oralmicrobial Effect of Bamboo (Phyllostachys nigra var. henonis Stapf) Leaves vol.45, pp.9, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2016.45.9.1265
- Effect of harvest seasons and extraction methods on the nutritional and functional components of Seomcho (Spinacia oleraecea L.) vol.25, pp.6, 2018, https://doi.org/10.11002/kjfp.2018.25.6.682