- Volume 19 Issue 2
Comparison of Food Habit and the Factors Associated with Obesity between Obese Children and Normal Children in Elementary School in Incheon
인천 일부 지역 초등학교의 정상 아동과 비만 아동 간의 식습관 및 비만 관련 요인 비교
- Hong, Sun-Hee (Dept. of Food and Nutrition, College of Human Ecology, Inha University) ;
- Kim, Young-A (Dept. of Food and Nutrition, College of Human Ecology, Inha University)
- Received : 2008.10.28
- Accepted : 2009.03.04
- Published : 2009.04.30
This study was performed in order to investigate the difference of general environment, life style, dietary behavior and food habit between the obese children and normal children. The number of subject was 98 obese children, 347 normal children. General characteristic was not significantly different, however father's BMI of obese children was significantly (p<0.05) higher than that of normal children. There was significant difference between obese children and normal children in mother's office-closing hour (p<0.05). Normal children spent more time to play outdoor than obese children in their free time. Normal children slept over 8 hours, but obese children slept below 8 hours. Most of obese children (70.4%) ate too many times and most of obese children (72.4%) recognized their overweight. Parents of obese children considered that their children need to control their weight and correct their eating habits such as overeating. Obese children could not bear hunger and kept eating a meal until they feel full. Obese children preferred fried or broiled food. Therefore nutritional education is necessary to improve the food habits of obese children and to reduce the obesity rate of children.
Supported by : 인하대학교
- An ES, Park HS (2006) Research on school adaptability and the mental-sociological characteristics of overweight children. J Korean Society for Child Physical Education 7: 43-62.
- Dietz WH (1997) Periods of risk in childhood for the development of adult obesity-what do we need to learn. Americas Society for Nutritional Sciences 127: 1884S-1886S
- Dietz WH (1998) Health consequences of obesity in youth. American Academy of Pediatrics 101: 518-525.
- Guo SS, Roche AF, Chumlea WC, Gardner JD, Siervogel RM (1994) The predictive value of childhood body mass index values for overweight at age 35 y. Am J Clin Nutr 59: 810-819. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/59.4.810
- Guo SS, Wu W, Chumlea WC, Roche AF (2002) Predicting overweight and obesity in adulthood from body mass index values in childhood and adolescence. Am J Clin Nutr 76: 653-658. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/76.3.653
- Hong CH, Hwang SW, Hyun IS (2003) Relationship of adolescent obesity and cardiovascular risk factor and childhood obesity in high school student in Jeju island. J Korean Society for Health Education and Promotion 20: 113-125.
- Jeong WS, Lee HS, Park UI (2005) Effects of an educational program for obesity improvenment by changing the living habits and improving the self-esteem of obese elementary school children. J Korean Home Economics Association 43: 125-134.
- Jo KJ (2004) The research study on the food habits according to obesity index of primary school children in Busan. Korean J Food Culture 19: 106-117.
- Joo EJ, Park ES (1998) Effect of and obese index on breakfast and snack intake in elementary school students. Korean J Dietary Culture 13: 487-496.
- June YB, Lee KY, Park TJ, Ha SJ, Moon HJ, Son YW (2006) The parental control over their child's weight among elementary school children being overweight or obese. J Korean Oriental Association for Study of Obesity 15: 37-43.
- Kang YJ, Hong CH, Hong YJ (1997) The prevalence of childhood and adolescent obesity over the last 18 years in Seoul area. Korean J Nutr 30: 382-839.
- Kim EK, Lee AR, Kim JJ, Kim MH, Kim JS, Moon HK (2000) The differnce of biochemical ststus dietary habits and dietary behaviours according to the obesity degree obese children. J Korean Dietetic Association 6: 161-170.
- Kim HA (2004) Comparison of normal weight vs obese children in terms of family factors eating and sociocognitive factors. J Korean Acad Child Health Nuts 10: 300-310.
- Kim HS, Kim HL, Hong SC (2002) The prevalence and the factors associated with childhood and adolescent obesity in Jeju city. J Korean Society of Health Statistics 27: 66-80.
- Kim KA, Kwun IS, Kwon CS (2001) Potential realtionship between children and risk for coronary heart disease in Kyungbuk area. Korean J Nutr 34: 664-670.
- Korean National Statistical Office (2006) Cause of death.
- Kwon HK, Kim YO, Lee YH, Kwon SK, Cho BK, Kim YN (1999) A study on pattern of between school children of Kwachon-city. J Korea Acad Dent Health 23: 113-125.
- Lee HS, Jeong WS, Park UI (2003) The dietary behavior of obese and normal elementary school children with maternal guidance for their dietary behavior. Korean J Community Nutrition 8: 831-839.
- Lee JC, Kim MH (2005) A study on dietary related factor and blood parameters of obese children residing in Samcheok. J Korean dietetic Association 11: 190-204.
- Lee JR, Park CM (2004) Study on an actual condition and relevant factors of obesity of elementary students. J Korean Society for Health Education and Promotion 21: 35-54.
- Lee KM, Mun JM (2004) A study on obese realities and factor analysis education program development of obese children in elementary school. J Physical Growth and Motor Development 12: 31-60.
- Lee MY, Kim SK, Chang KJ (2002) Dietary behaviors healthrelated lifestyle and blood lipid profile of obese children in Incheon. Korean J Community Nutrition 7: 803-813.
- Lee SS (2004) A study on dietary behavior of children according to the their preference for fast food. Korean J Community Nutrition 9 : 204-213.
- Lee TY, Lee JH, Kwon KH, Shin ES, Kim SY, Nam HS (2006) Prevalence and correlates of obesity in elementary school student of Daejeon city. J Korean Society for Health Education and Promotion 23: 37-51.
- Lee YJ(2000) A study on prevalence of obesity-related among of obese children in Inchon. MS Thesis Inha university Inchon.
- Lee YJ, Jang KJ (1999) A comparative study of obese children and children on dietary intake and environmental factors at an elementary school in Incheon. Korean J Community Nutrtion 4: 504-511.
- Nam JH, Lee MY (2006) The study of food habit according to obesity index in elementary school children in Yangju city Kyeong-gi province. Korean J Food and Nutr 19: 153-160.
- Park HO, Kim EK, Chi KA, Kwak TK (2000) Comparison of nutrition knowledge food hibits and life styles of obese children and normal children in elementary school in Kyeonggi province. Korea J Community Nutrition 5: 586-597.
- Park J, Ryu SY, Lee CG, Ann HO, Park YB, Park SK, Moon KR, Yang ES, Rho YI, Bae HY (1998) The associated factors with obesity in primary school children. Korea Society for the Study of Obesity 7: 134-141
- Ramachandran A (2002) Prevalence of overweight in urban Indian adolescent school children. Diabetes Res Clin Pract 57: 608-615.
- Richard JD, Christine LW (2001) Obesity Research: The health lssue 9: 239S-243S.
- Shin EK, Lee HS, Lee YK (2004) Effect of nutrition education program in obese children and their parents. Korea J Community Nutrition 9: 566-577.
- The Korean Nutrition Society (2005) Dietary reference intakes for Korean.
- The Korean Pediatric Society (1998) Standard of physical growth for Korean infants and adolescence
- The Ministry of Health and Welfare (2005) Survey of national health and nutrition.
- Wang SK (2007) Pravalence of obesity food habits and daily nutrition intakes of 4th grade elementary schoo; in Daejeon. J Korean Living Science Associate 16: 631-642.
- WHO (2000) Obesity: Preventing and managing the global epidemic. Report on WHO Consultation Technical report serious No 894: 1-256.
- You JS, Choi YJ, Kim IS, Jang KJ, Chyun JH (1997) A study on prevalence of obesity eating habits and life styles of 5th grade students in Inchon. Korean J Community Nutrition 2: 13-22.
- Yu OK, Cha YS (2006) A comparative study on dietary life according to the obesity assessment methods of higher grade elementary school student in Jeonju. Korea J Human Ecology 9:83-93.