- Volume 19 Issue 4
Comparison of the Perception of Frozen Processed Food, Food Labeling and Nutrition Labeling between Employees and Non-employees in the Frozen Food Industry
냉동 가공 식품, 식품 표시 및 영양 표시에 대한 냉동 식품 산업 종사자와 비종사자의 인식 차이 조사 연구
- Lee, Min-Jin (The Graduate School of Education, Kyung Hee University) ;
- Yoon, Ki-Sun (Dept. of Food and Nutrition, Research Institute of Human Ecology, Kyung Hee University)
- Received : 2009.03.06
- Accepted : 2009.08.20
- Published : 2009.08.31
The objective of this study was to compare the differences of opinion, purchasing behavior, and recognition of food labeling and nutrition labeling of frozen processed food between employees and non-employees in the frozen food industry. The results of this survey study showed that the group working in the frozen food industry had a positive opinion of frozen processed food compared to the non-employee group who was not working in the food industry. The main reason for the positive opinion of frozen processed food was because it was convenient and easy to prepare while the main concern with consuming frozen processed food was that it was bad for one's health. The most popular menu was western style. Sixty one percent of employees in the frozen food industry preferred the microwave-cooking method, while only 37.9% of non-employees preferred the microwave-cooking method followed by cooking in boiling water (27.6%). There was a significant (p<0.001) difference in the preference of cooking method between these two groups. Most of the respondents considered 'taste' as the most important factor and 32.9% of the respondents selected 'sanitation/health' as the most serious concern for the consumption of frozen processed food. Both groups checked the food & nutrition label to verify the expiration date and the presence of food additives. The non-employee group recognized the need for nutritional information on total calorie, carbohydrate, protein, fat, saturated fat, cholesterol, minerals, vitamins, sodium, and fiber on the nutrition label of frozen processed food.
- 식품의약품안전청 (2007) 식품 등의 표시기준. www.kfda.go.kr.
- 육가공협회(사) (2006) 2006년 냉동 식품 판매량. www.kmia.ac.kr
- 정해랑 (2001) 가공 식품의 영양 성분표시에 관한 국제 동향. Nutrition and Dietetics p 26-28.
- 한국식품영양학회 (2008) 최신 식품위생관계 법규. 문운당, 서울. pp 175-199.
- Chung JY, Kim MJ (2007) Using and understanding of nutrition labels and related factors among remale adult in the Seoul area. Korean J Community Nutr 12: 417-425.
- Han SH, Park JY (2001) The microbiological and sensorial properties of bibimbap namul during storage. Korean J Food Cookery Sci 17: 149-155.
- Kim NH(2002) A study on urban house wife's purchase activity of processed food and perception of nutrition labeling. MS thesis Sejong University, Seoul.
- Kwak TK, Lee KA, Lyu ES (1993) Consumer demands for prepared frozen or refrigerated foods and industry's response to consumer demands. Korea J Soc Food Sci 9: 230-238.
- Lee GJ, Lee YH (2004) A study on the dietary life of housewives and their usage practices of food-nutrition labelling. J East Asian Soc Dietary Life 54: 161-174.
- Lee KO, Kim YS (2007) Consumer's practicality, acknowledgment, trust, satisfaction, necessity degrees about food nutrition labeling system. Korean Asso of Human Eco 116: 761-772.
- Lee YC, Yang HS, Kim DH (2001) Shelf life determination of precooked frozen pork cutlets. Food Sci and Biotech 10: 272-277.
- Lee YC, Yang HS, Kim DH (2002) Shelf life determination of precooked frozen meat dumplings. Food Engineering Progress 6: 281-287.
- Lee YH (2006) Effect of nutrition certification mark system getting in consumption form of processed food. MS Thesis Hanam University. Daejun.
- Lee YS, Kim SH, Oh HJ, Lee SM, Lee HY (1997) A survey on prepared frozen foods of college student in Seoul area. Research Institute of Science For Human's Life. p 47-55.
- Oh SI, Kim OS, Jang YA (2007) Nutrition labeling practices for foods according to food category. J of Korean Diet Asso 13: 123-137.
- Park SS (2008) The preference of processed food and recognition of food.nutrition labeling by middle school students in Seoul area. Korean J Food Cookery Sci 24: 164-173.