- Volume 5 Issue 3
For the success of a festival, effective volunteer management is axiomatic. Given the dramatically increased size and quality of festivals and events in Korea over the past fifteen years, the importance of effective volunteer management has been overlooked among festival organizations in comparison to similar festivals in western countries. This paper provides a description and an assessment of the Hi Seoul Festival 2009 volunteer program based on an seven-step ideal process of an effective festival volunteer program with suggestions for the program development by reviewing organizational documents, and an interview with a staff member of the Hi Seoul Festival organization, and a survey pertinent to festival volunteers' motivation. This study shows college students are more interested in volunteering at festivals in Korea with the primary motivation of developing relationships and gaining work experience. It also suggests that the Hi Seoul Festival organization should fully appreciate the importance of an effective volunteer program and the position and work of a volunteer coordinator.
Festival volunteers;Volunteer motivation;Hi Seoul Festival;Festival volunteer management
- S. W. Schmader, Introduction, Managing Volunteers, Port Angeles, Washington: International Festivals and Events Association (IFEA), 1997. p.5.
- D. Getz, D. Event Management & Event Tourism, Cognizant Communication Corporation, 1997.
- J. Yi, Developing an Effective Festival Volunteer Program: A Case Study of the Puppet Festival Chunchon Volunteer Program, Master Thesis, University of Illinois at Springfield, 2000.
- G. Cuskelly & A. Boag, "Organizational Commitment as a Predictor of Committee Member Turnover among Volunteer Sport Administrators: Results of a Time-Lagged. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1441-3523(01)70070-8
- L. Slaughter, "Motivation of long term volunteers at events," Events and Place Marketing, Australian Centre.
- G. Cuskelly, T. Taylor, R. Hoye, & S. Darcy, "Volunteer Management Practices and Volunteer Retention: A Human Resource Management Approach," Sport Management Review, 9, 2006, pp.141-163. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1441-3523(06)70023-7
- J. J. Goldblatt, & F. Supovitz, Dollars and Events: How to Succeed in the Special Events Business, New York: John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 1999.
- J. C. Hastings, & K. M. Cole, "Volunteer Development Programs: How to Keep a Skilled Interested Volunteers, Managing Volunteer, Port Angeles, Washington: International Festivals and Events Association (IFEA), 1997, pp.27-32.
- S. Twyford, Personal Issues and Trends, Event Trends, Port Angeles, Washington: International Festivals and Events Association (IFEA), 1990.
- E. Clary, M. Snyder, & R. Ridge, "Volunteers' Motivations: A Functional Strategy for the Recruitment, Placement and Retention of Volunteers," Nonprofit. https://doi.org/10.1002/nml.4130020403
- C. Ryan, & C. Bates, "A Rose by Any Other Name: The Motivations of Those Opening Their Gardens for a Festival," Festival Management & Event Tourism, 3, 1995, pp.59-71.
- P. W. Williams, K. A. Dossa, & L. Tompkins, "Volunteerism and Special Event Management: A Case Study of Whistler's Men's World Cup of Skiing," Festival Management & Event Tourism, 3, 1995, pp.83-95.
- J. Farrell, M. E. Johnston, & G. D. Twynam, "Volunteer Motivation, Satisfaction, and Management at an Elite Sporting Competition," Journal of Sport Management, 12(4), 1998, pp.288-300. https://doi.org/10.1123/jsm.12.4.288
- F. Saleh, & C. Wood. "Motives of Volunteers in Multicultural Events: The Case of Saskatoon Folkfest," Festival Management & Event Tourism, 5, 1998, pp.59-70. https://doi.org/10.3727/106527098792186739
- M. E. Johnston, G. D., Wynam, & J. M. Farrell, "Motivation and Satisfaction of Event Volunteers for a Major Youth Organization," Leisure/Loisir 24(1-2), 1999-2000, pp.161-177.
- K. Churchard, Effective Volunteer Management, Managing Volunteers, Port Angeles, Washington: International Festivals and Events Association (IFEA), 1997, pp.57-62.
- Hi Seoul Festival Official Website (www.hiseoulfest.org).
- Current Population Survey. 2008. http://www.bls.gov/news.release/volun.nr0.htm
- R. A. Cnaan, & R. R. Goldberg-Glen, "Measuring Motivation to Volunteer in Human Services," Journal of Applied Behavioral Science, 27(3), 1991, pp.269-285. https://doi.org/10.1177/0021886391273003
- Hi Seoul Festival Volunteer Web Community (http://club.cyworld.com/hiseoulmania)
- Hi Seoul Festival Web Community (http://cafe.naver.com/hiseoulfest2008)