- Volume 34 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Preliminary Study on Nonlinear Static Response Topology Optimization Using Equivalent Load
등가하중을 이용한 비선형 정적 응답 위상최적설계의 기초연구
- Lee, Hyun-Ah (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Hanyang Univ.) ;
- Zeshan, Ahmad (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Hanyang Univ.) ;
- Park, Gyung-Jin (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Hanyang Univ.)
- Received : 2010.03.09
- Accepted : 2010.10.13
- Published : 2010.12.01
Most components in the real world show nonlinear response. The nonlinearity may arise because of contact between the parts, nonlinear material, or large deformation of the components. Structural optimization considering nonlinearities is fairly expensive because sensitivity information is difficult to calculate. To overcome this difficulty, the equivalent load method was proposed for nonlinear response optimization. This method was originally developed for size and shape optimization. In this study, the equivalent load method is modified to perform topology optimization considering all kinds of nonlinearities. Equivalent load is defined as the load for linear analysis that generates the same response field as that for nonlinear analysis. A simple example demonstrates that results of the topology optimization using equivalent load are very similar to the numerical results. Nonlinear response topology optimization is performed with a practical example and the results are compared with those of conventional linear response topology optimization.
Topology Optimization;Equivalent Load;Nonlinear Response Structural Optimization;Boundary Nonlinearity;Material Nonlinearity;Geometric Nonlinearity
Supported by : 한국학술진흥재단
- Bendsoe, M.P. and Kikuchi, N., 1988, “Generating Optimal Topologies in Structural Design Using a Homogenization Method,” Computer Method in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, Vol. 71, Issue 2, pp. 197-224. https://doi.org/10.1016/0045-7825(88)90086-2
- Bendsoe, M.P., 1989, “Optimal Shape Design as a Material Distribution Problem,” Structural Optimization, Vol. 1, No. 4, pp. 193-202. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01650949
- Park, G.J., 2007, Analytic Methods for Design Practice, Springer, Germany, pp. 237-243.
- Yuge, K., Iwai, N. and Kikuchi, N., 1999, “Optimization of 2-D structures Subjected to Nonlinear Deformations Using the Homogenization Method,” Structural Optimization, Vol. 17, No. 4, pp. 286-299. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01207005
- Buhl, T., Pedersen, C.B.W. and Sigmund, O., 2000, “Stiffness Design Of Geometrically Nonlinear Structures Using Topology Optimization,” Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization, Vol. 19, No. 2, pp. 93-104. https://doi.org/10.1007/s001580050089
- Mayer, R.R., Kikuchi, N. and Scott, R.A., 1996, “Application of Topological Optimization Techniques to Structural Crashworthiness,” International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering, Vol. 39, Issue 8, pp. 1383-1403. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0207(19960430)39:8<1383::AID-NME909>3.0.CO;2-3
- Jung, D.Y. and Gea, H.C., “Topology Optimization of Nonlinear Structures,” Finite Elements in Analysis and Design, Vol. 40, Issue 11, pp. 1417-1427. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.finel.2003.08.011
- Arora, J.S., 2004, Introduction to Optimum Design, second ed., Elsevier, CA, USA.
- Haftka, R.T and Gurdal, Z., 1992, Elements of Structural Optimization, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Netherlands.
- Choi, K.K. and Santos, J.L.T., 1987, “Design Sensitivity Analysis of Nonlinear Structural Systems Part I: Theory,” International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering, Vol. 24, No. 11, pp. 2039-2055. https://doi.org/10.1002/nme.1620241103
- Trier, S.D. Marthinsen, A. and Sivertsen, O.I., 1996, “Design sensitivities by the Adjoint Variable Method in Nonlinear Structural Dynamics,” SIMS Simulation Conference, Trondheim, Norway.
- Vidal, C.V. and Haber, R.B., 1993, “Design Sensitivity Analysis for Rate-independent Elastoplasticity,” Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, Vol. 107, No. 3, pp. 393-431. https://doi.org/10.1016/0045-7825(93)90074-8
- Shin, M.K., Park, K.J. and Park, G.J., 2007, “Optimization of Structures with Nonlinear Behavior Using Equivalent Loads,” Computers Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, Vol. 196, Issue 4-6, pp. 1154-1167. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cma.2006.09.001
- Park, G.J. and Kang, B.S., 2003, “Mathematical Proof for Structural Optimization with Equivalent Static Loads Transformed from Dynamic Loads,” Trans. of the KSME (A), Vol. 27, No. 2, pp. 268-275.
- Park, G.J. and Kang, B.S., 2003, “Validation of Structural Optimization Algorithm Transformation Dynamic Loads into Equivalent Static Loads,” Journal of Optimization Theory and Applications, Vol. 118, No. 1, pp. 191-200. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1024799727258
- Kim, Y.I, Park, G.J., Kolonay, R.M., Blair, M. and Canfield, R.A., 2008, “Nonlinear Response Structural Optimization of a Joined-Wing using Equivalent Loads,” AIAA Journal, Vol. 46, No. 11, pp. 2703-2713. https://doi.org/10.2514/1.33428
- Kim, D.W., Lee, H.A., Song, K.N., Kim, Y.I. and Park, G.J., 2007, “Nonlinear Response Structural Optimization of a Spacer Grid Spring for a Nuclear Fuel Rod Using the Equivalent Loads,” Trans. of the KSME (A), Vol. 31, No. 12, pp. 1165-1172.
- Kim, Y.I. and Park, G.J., 2007, “Case Studies of Nonlinear Response Structural Optimization Using Equivalent Loads,” Trans. of the KSME (A), Vol. 31, No. 11, pp. 1059-1068.
- Bathe, K.J., 1996, Finite Element Procedures in Engineering Analysis, Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, USA.
- Cook, R.D, Malkus, D.S., Plesha, M.E. and Witt, R.J., 2002, Concepts and Applications of finite Element Analysis, 4th edition, pp. 595-638.
- Reddy, J.N., 2004, An Introduction to Nonlinear Finite Element Analysis, Oxford University Press., NY, USA.
- MSC. NASTRAN 2008 Reference Manual, 2008, MSC Software Corporation.
- Shin, M.K., Lee, H.A., Lee, J.J., Song. K.N. and Park, G.J., 2008, “Optimization of a Nuclear Fuel Spacer Grid Spring Using Homology Constraints,” Nuclear Engineering and Design, Vol. 238, Issue 10, pp. 2624-2634. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nucengdes.2008.04.003
- Topology Optimization for Structures With Nonlinear Behavior Using the Equivalent Static Loads Method vol.134, pp.3, 2012, https://doi.org/10.1115/1.4005600
- Study of Blank Thickness Optimization in Free Bulging for Maximizing Bulged Height vol.38, pp.8, 2014, https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2014.38.8.899
- Optimization of the Television Packing System Using Equivalent Static Loads vol.39, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2015.39.3.311