- Volume 34 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Study on Local Buckling of District Heating Pipes Using Limit State Design
한계상태 설계법을 이용한 지역난방 열배관의 국부좌굴 연구
- Kim, Joo-Yong (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Inha Univ.) ;
- Lee, Sang-Youn (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Inha Univ.) ;
- Ko, Hyun-Il (District Heating Technology Research Institute, Korea District Heating Corp.) ;
- Cho, Chong-Du (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Inha Univ.)
- Received : 2010.05.10
- Accepted : 2010.10.12
- Published : 2010.12.01
The district heating system distributes the heat generated from a cogeneration plant to wider locations. In this process, the district heating pipe (DHP) is subjected to internal and external loadings. The internal loadings are generally caused by the operating conditions such as water temperature and internal pressure. Frictional interactions between the pipes and the soil contribute to the external loadings. Thus, investigation of the mechanisms of failure of DHPs will help to guarantee both mechanical stability and heating efficiency. In this study, we investigate the local buckling of DHPs using limit state design (LSD). Two methods are considered: the use of the limit state for the width-thickness ratio and the use of the limit state for the strain. The results are used to confirm that the DHP is stable under local buckling. Finally, we suggest a minimum preheating temperature for avoiding local buckling.
District Heating;Pre-Insulated Bonded Pipe;Pre-Heating;Local Buckling;Limit State Design
Supported by : 한국지역난방공사
- Namkoong C.-K. and Shin, B.-K., 2003, "A Study on the Power of Friction on the Underground Piping for the District Heating," Proc. of the KSMTE Spring Conference, pp. 68-72.
- Kong, J. H. and Sin, B. K., 2005, "A Study on the Absorption of Thermal Stress on the Underground Piping for the District Heating," Trans. of the KSMTE, Vol. 14, No. 1, pp. 81-88.
- Chang, Y.-S., Jung, S.-W., Lee, S.-M., Choi, J.-B. and Kim, Y.-J., 2007, "Fatigue Data Acquisition, Evaluation and Optimization of District Heating Pipes," Applied Thermal Engineering, Vol. 27, pp. 2524-2535. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2007.02.001
- Kim, J., Kim, H., Ko, H. I., An, Y. M. and Cho, C., 2009, "Design Validation and Improvement of District Heating Pipe Using FE Simulation," Trans. of the KSME(A), Vol. 33, No. 4, pp. 337-345. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2009.33.4.337
- Choi, M., Kim, J., Ko, H. I. and Cho, C., 2010, "Shape Design of Bends in District Heating Pipe System by Taguchi Method," Trans. of the KSME(A), Vol. 34, No. 3, pp. 307-313
- Kim, J.-M., Choi, B.-H. and Ko, H.-I., 2009, "The Stability Assessment of Backfill Materials and External Loads in Pre-Insulated District Heating Pipes," Proc. of the SAREK Summer Conference, pp. 656-661.
- Korea District Heating Corporation, 2003, "A Construction Guidebook of District Heating Pipe Facilities," KDHC DH Pipe Network Division, Vol. 2, pp. 225-240.
- Gere, J. M., 2001, "Mechanics of Materials," Brooks/Cole, CA, pp. 739-814.
- Korean Society of Steel Construction, 2009, "KBC 2009 Steel Structure Design," Goomibook, Seoul, pp. 128-135.
- Randlov, P., 1997, "District Heating Handbook," European District Heating Pipe Manufacturers Association, pp. 89-91, 174.