- Volume 34 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Fabrication and Characterization of Transparent Piezoresistors Using Carbon Nanotube Film
탄소나노튜브 필름을 이용한 투명 압저항체의 제작 및 특성 연구
- Lee, Kang-Won (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology) ;
- Lee, Jung-A (Advanced Technology Division, Korea Institute of Standards and Science) ;
- Lee, Kwang-Cheol (Advanced Technology Division, Korea Institute of Standards and Science) ;
- Lee, Seung-Seob (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology)
- Received : 2010.05.28
- Accepted : 2010.10.21
- Published : 2010.12.01
We present the fabrication and characterization of transparent carbon nanotube film (CNF) piezoresistors. CNFs were fabricated by vacuum filtration methods with 65?92% transmittance and patterned on Au-deposited silicon wafer by photolithography and dry etching. The patterned CNFs were transferred onto poly-dimethysiloxane (PDMS) using the weak adhesion property between the silicon wafer and the Au layer. The transferred CNFs were confirmed to be piezoresistors using the equation of concentrated-force-derived resistance change. The gauge factor of the CNFs was measured to range from 10 to 20 as the resistance of the CNFs increased with applied pressure. In polymer microelectromechanical systems, CNF piezoresistors are the promising materials because of their high sensitivity and low-temperature process.
Carbon Nanotube Film;Transparent Piezoresistors;Wafer Transfer Methods
- Stampfer, C., Helbling, T., Obergfell, D., Schoberle, B., Tripp, M., Jungen, A., Roth, S., Bright, V. and Hierold, C., 2006, “Fabrication of Single-Walled Carbon Nanotube Based Pressure Sensors,” Nano Lett., Vol. 6, No. 2, pp. 233-237. https://doi.org/10.1021/nl052171d
- Fung, K. M., Zhang, Q. H., Chan, H. M. and Li, J., 2005, “A PMMA Based Micro Pressure Sensor Chip Using Carbon Nanotubes as Sensing Elements,” In: Proc. of 18th IEEE Int. Conf. on Micro Electro Mechanical Systems (MEMS2005), pp. 251-254.
- Tong, J., Priebe, M. and Sun, Y., 2007, “Carbon Nanotube Based Strain Sensing Cantilevers,” In Proc. of 20th IEEE Int. Conf. on Micro Electro Mechanical Systems (MEMS2007), pp. 843-846.
- Gao, B., Yue, G. Z., Qui, Q., Cheng, Y., Shimoda, H., Fleming, L. and Zhou, O., 2001, “Fabrication and Electron Field Emission Properties of Carbon Nanotube Films by Electrophoretic Deposition,” Adv. Mater., Vol. 13, No. 23, pp. 1770-1773. https://doi.org/10.1002/1521-4095(200112)13:23<1770::AID-ADMA1770>3.0.CO;2-G
- Sreekumar, T., Liu, T., Kumar, S., Ericson, L., Hauge, R. and Smalley, R. E., 2003, “Single-Wall Carbon Nanotube Films,” Chem. Matt., Vol. 15, No. 1, pp. 175-178. https://doi.org/10.1021/cm020367y
- Kim, Y., Minami, N., Zhu, W., Kazaoui, S., Azumi, R. and Matsumoto, M., 2003, “Langmuir-Blodgett Films of Single-Wall Carbon Nanotubes,” Jpn. J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 42, No. 12, pp. 7629-7634. https://doi.org/10.1143/JJAP.42.7629
- Meitl, M., Zhou, Y., Gaur, A., Jeon, S., Usrey, M., Strano, M. and Rogers, J., 2004, “Solution Casting and Transfer Printing Single-Walled Carbon Nanotube Films,” Nano Lett., Vol. 4, No. 9, pp. 1643-1647. https://doi.org/10.1021/nl0491935
- Wu, Z., Chen, Z., Du, X., Logan, J. M., Sippel, J., Nikolou, M., Kamaras, K., Reynolds, J. R., Tanner, D. B., Hebard, A. F. and Rinzler, A. G., 2004, “Transparent and Conductive Carbon Nanotube Films,” Science, Vol. 305, pp. 1273-1276. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.1101243
- Allen, A., Sunden, E., Cannon, A., Graham, S. and King, W., 2006, “Nanomaterial Transfer Using Hot Embossing for Flexible Electronic Devices,” Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 88, pp. 083112. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.2178414
- Zhou, Y., Hu, L. and Gruner, G., 2006, “A Method of Printing Carbon Nanotube Thin Films,” Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 88, pp. 123109. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.2187945
- Giovanni, M. D., 1982, Flat and Corrugated Diaphragm Design Handbook, Marcel Dekker, USA, pp. 157-177.
- Toriyama, T. and Sugiyama, S., 2002, “Analysis of Piezoresistance in p-Type Silicon for Mechanical Sensors,” J. MEMS, Vol. 11, No. 5, pp. 598-604. https://doi.org/10.1109/JMEMS.2002.802904
- Engel, J., Chen, J. and Liu, C., 2003, “Development of Polyimide Flexible Tactile Sensor Skin,” J. Micromech. Microeng., Vol. 13, pp. 359-366. https://doi.org/10.1088/0960-1317/13/3/302
- Beeby, S., Ensell, G., Kraft, M. and White, N., 2004, MEMS Mechanical Sensors, Artech House, United Kingdom, pp. 113-151.