- Volume 34 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Acoustic Nonlinearity of Narrow-Band Surface Wave Generated by Laser Beam with Line-Arrayed Slit Mask
선배열 슬릿마스크를 이용한 협대역 레이저 여기 표면파의 음향 비선형성
- Choi, Sung-Ho (Dept. of Automotive Engineering, Hanyang Univ.) ;
- Nam, Tae-Hyung (Dept. of Automotive Engineering, Hanyang Univ.) ;
- Lee, Tae-Hun (Dept. of Automotive Engineering, Hanyang Univ.) ;
- Kim, Chung-Seok (Dept. of Automotive Engineering, Hanyang Univ.) ;
- Jhang, Kyung-Young (School of Mechanical Engineering, Hanyang Univ.)
- 최성호 (한양대학교 자동차공학과) ;
- 남태형 (한양대학교 자동차공학과) ;
- 이태훈 (한양대학교 자동차공학과) ;
- 김정석 (한양대학교 자동차공학과) ;
- 장경영 (한양대학교 기계공학부)
- Received : 2010.07.12
- Accepted : 2010.10.25
- Published : 2010.12.01
We examined the mechanism of generation of higher harmonics by theoretically analyzing the frequency characteristics of a narrow-band surface wave generated by a laser beam with line-arrayed slit masks. We experimentally analyzed the effects of slit opening width and laser intensity on the acoustic nonlinearity of aluminum 6061-T6 alloy by using single-slit and line-arrayed slit masks. The magnitude of the harmonic wave depended on the slit opening width. In our experiment, we generated a 1.75-MHz surface wave by using an arrayed slit with intervals of 1.67 mm. The magnitude of the second harmonic component decreased about by 80% when the slit opening width was increased from 0.5 mm to 1.0 mm. In addition, the relationship between the magnitudes of the fundamental and the second harmonic wave showed good linearity, which agreed well with the typical behavior of acoustic nonlinearity.
Laser;Surface Wave;Acoustic Nonlinearity;Harmonic Generation
Supported by : 한국연구재단(NRF)
- Jhang, K. Y., 2000, "Application of Nonlinear Ultrasonics to the NDE of Material Degradation," IEEE Transaction on Ultrasonics, Frequencies, and Frequency Control, Vol. 47, No. 3, pp. 540-548. https://doi.org/10.1109/58.842040
- Huang, J., Krishnaswamy, S. and Achenbach, J. D., 1991, "Laser-Generation of Narrow-Band Surface Waves," Ultrasonics Simposium, pp.537-541.
- Vella, P. J., Padmore, T. C. and Stegeman, G. I., 1974, "Nonlinear Surface-Wave Interaction : Parametric Mixing and Harmonic Generation," Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 45, No. 5, pp. 1993-2006. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.1663536
- Duffer, C. E. and Burger, C. P., 1996, "Narrow Band Laser Ultrasonic NDE," Review of Progress in Quantitative Nondestructive Evaluation, Vol. 15, pp. 593-600.
- Lee, Y. C., Kim, J. O. and Achenbach, J. D., 1994, "Measurement of Stresses by Line-focus Acoustic Microscopy," Ultrasonics, Vol. 32, No. 5, pp. 359-365. https://doi.org/10.1016/0041-624X(94)90105-8
- Berthelot, Y. H. and Jarzynski, J., 1990, "Directional Laser Generation and Detection of Ultrasound with Arrays of Optical Fibers," Review of Progress in Quantitative Nondestructive Evaluation, Vol. 9, pp. 463-470.
- Kenderian, S. and Djordjevic, B. B., 2003, "Narrow Band Laser-Generated Surface Acoustic Waves using a Formed Source in the Ablative Regime," Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, Vol. 113, pp. 261-266. https://doi.org/10.1121/1.1529664
- Viktorov, I. A., 1967, "Rayleigh and Lamb Waves Physical Theory and Applications," pp. 1-7, Plenum Press, New York.
- Norris, A. N., 1991, "Symmetry Conditions for Third Order Elastic Moduli and Implications in Nonlinear Wave Theory," Journal of Elasticity, Vol. 25, No. 3, pp. 247-257. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00040928
- Jeong, H. J., Nahm, S. H., Jhang, K. Y. and Nam, Y. H., 2002, "Evaluation of Fracture Toughness Degradation of CrMoV Rotor Steels Based on Ultrasonic Nonlinearity Measurements," KSME International Journal, Vol. 16, No. 2, pp. 147-154. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF03185165
- Choi, I. H., Beak, S. H., Lee, T. H. and Jhang, K. Y., 2010, “Evaluation of Fa]tigue Degradation in SUS316L Using Nonlinear Ultrasonics,” Trans. of the KSME, A, Vol. 34, No. 2, pp. 145-152.