- Volume 34 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Sound Insulation Performance of Honeycomb Composite Panel for a Tilting Train
틸팅 열차용 허니콤 복합 적층재의 차음성능
- Kim, Seock-Hyun (Dept. of Mechanical and Mechatronics Engineering, Kangwon Nat'l Univ.) ;
- Seo, Tae-Gun (Dept. of Mechanical and Mechatronics Engineering, Kangwon Nat'l Univ.)
- Received : 2010.08.30
- Accepted : 2010.09.13
- Published : 2010.12.01
In Korean tilting trains, honeycomb composite panels are used for high speed and light weight. The side wall of a tilting train consists of an aluminum honeycomb coated with carbon-fiber-reinforced epoxy skin and a nomex honeycomb panel as the main structure, with glass wool inserted between the panels. In this study, based on ASTM E2249-02, we measure the intensity sound transmission loss (TL) of the honeycomb composite panels. Using mass law deviation (MLD), we estimate the sound insulation performance of the honeycomb composite panels in terms of their weight and explore the feasibility of substituting a conventional corrugated steel panel. The transmission-loss data of the honeycomb composite panels obtained in the study will be used to establish noise-reduction measures for train compartments.
Honeycomb Composite Panels;Sound Transmission Loss;Mass Law Deviation
- Foo, C. C., Chai, G. B. and Seah, L. K., 2007, “Mechanical Property of Nomex Material and Nomex Honeycomb Structure," Composite Structures, Vol. 80, pp. 588-594. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruct.2006.07.010
- Kim, J. S. and et al., 2006, “Structural Characteristics of a Hybrid Composite Car body of Korean Tilting Train by Weight Load," Journal of the Korean Society for Railway, Vol. 9(3), pp. 251-256.
- Kurtze, G. and Watters, B. G., 1959, “New Wall Design for High Transmission Loss or High Damping," J. Acoust. Soc. Am. Vol. 31, No. 6, pp. 739-748. https://doi.org/10.1121/1.1907780
- Davis, E. B., 1999, "Designing Honeycomb Panels for Noise Control," J. AIAA-99-1917.
- Rajaram, S., Wang, T. and Nutt, S., 2006, "Sound Transmission Loss of Honeycomb Sandwich Panels," Noise Control Engineering Journal, Vol. 54, No. 2, pp. 106-115. https://doi.org/10.3397/1.2888387
- ASTM E 2249 - 02 : 2003, American Standards for Testing and Materials; Standard Test Method for Laboratory Measurement of Airborne Transmission Loss of Building Partitions and Elements Using Sound Intensity, American Standard Association.
- Beranek, L. L. and Ver, I. L., 1992, Noise and Vibration Control Engineering, John Wiley and Sons, INC., pp. 281-291.
- Kim, S. H., Lee, H., Kim, J. and Kim, J., 2010, "Sound Insulation Design of the Corrugated Steel Panel Considering Local Resonance," Trans. of KSNVE., Vol. 20, No. 7, pp. 672-676. https://doi.org/10.5050/KSNVE.2010.20.7.672
- Kim, S. H., Jang, H. and Kim, J., 2001, "Characteristics of Local Vibration Modes of the Aluminum Extruded Panels for Rail Road Vehicles," Journal of the Korean Society for Railway, Vol. 4, No. 3, pp. 87-93.