- Volume 59 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
ELS: An Efficient Localization Scheme based on GPS for Ubiquitous Sensor Network
ELS: 유비쿼터스 센서 네트워크를 위한 GPS 기반의 효율적인 위치인지 기법
- Yun, Jae-Keun (Korea University) ;
- Ko, Du-Hyun (Korea University) ;
- Kim, Bum-Jin (Korea University) ;
- Ahn, Sun-Shin (Korea University)
- Published : 2010.01.01
The problem of location awareness in wireless sensor networks where nodes use GPS (Global Positioning System), remains challenging problem, when considering the required large energy consumption during the localization phase. In this paper we designed hardware for GPS based localization and propose a framework, called ELS, to consume low cost energy. In the ELS framework, sensor nodes are equipped with GPS. Because GPS spends large energy for position awareness, conventional localization algorithms cannot use GPS-device. We try to find a solution for efficient energy expenditure of GPS. Finally, we derive optimal transmission power of GPS data and a scheme of localization through experiment and simulation.
- B.Hofmann-Wellenhof, H. Lichtenegger, and J. Collins, "Global Positioning System: Theory and Practice", Forth Edition, Springer Verlag, 1997.
- IEEE std. 802. 15. 4 - 2003: Wireless Medium Access Control (MAC) and Physical Layer (PHY) specifications for Low Rate Wireless Personal Area Networks (LR-WPANs). http://standards.ieee.org/getieee802/download/802.15.4-2003.pdf
- Jean-Philip Montillet, Carlos Pomalaza-Raez, "Wireless Sensor Networks: Nodes Localization Issue"
- P.bah, V. Padmanabhan, "RADAR: An In-building RF-based User Location and Tracking System", Proceedings of INFOCOM 2000 Tel Aviv,Israel,March2000,p775-84,voI.2
- Brad Karp and H. T. Kung. "Greedy Perimeter Stateless Routing", MobiCom 2000
- Young-Bae Ko and Nitin H. Vaidya, "Location-Aided Routing (LAR) in MobileAdHocNetworks", MobiCom 1998
- Martin Mauve, Jorg Widmer and Hannes Hartenstein, "A Survey on Position-Based Routing in Mobile Ad-Hoc Networks", IEEE Network Magazin, 2001
- R. Want, A. Hopper, V. Falcao, J. Gibbons., "The Active Badge Location System", ACM Transactions on Information Systems, Vol. 40, No.1, pp. 91-102, January 1992
- N. Priyantha, A. Chakraborthy and H. Balakrishnan, "The Criket Location-Support System", Proceedings of International Conference on Mobile Computing and Networking, pp. 32-43, August 6-11, 2000, Boston, MA
- A. Harter, A. Hopper, P. Steggles, A. Ward and P. Webster, "The Anatomy of a Context Aware Application", In Proceedings ACM/IEEE MOBICOM(Seattle, WA, Aug 1999)
- Andreas Savvides, Chih-Chieh Han and Mani B. Strivastava., "Dynamic Fine-Grained Localization in AdHoc Networks of Sensors", ACM SIGMOBILE 2001, Rome,Italy
- Chipcon Inc. "CC2420 data sheet" http://focus.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/cc2420.pdf
- ATMEL Inc. "ATMEGA128L data sheet" http://www.atmel.com/dyn/resources/prod_documents/ doc2467.pdf
- Crossbow Inc. "MICAz Product Feature Reference" http://www.xbow.com/Support/Support_pdf_files/Produ ct_Feature_Reference_Chart.pdf
- GPS StarIII Single Chip Specification http://www.ubistar.com/
- NMEA-0183 Protocol Description http://www.remember.ro/dl/nmea0183.pdf
- Chipcon Inc. "CC1000 data sheet" http://www.ti.com/.
- Chipcon Inc. "CC2420 data sheet" http://www.ti.com/.
- J. Gibson, "The MobileCommunicationsHandbook", IEEEPress1999
- Chipcon Inc. CC2431 Location_Engine "AN_042_ CC2431_Location_Engine" http://www.ti.com/.