- Volume 6 Issue 4
In flash memory, many previous garbage collection methods only merge blocks statically and do not consider the contents of buffer. These schemes may cause more unnecessary block erase operations and page copy operations. However, since flash memory has the limitation of maximum rate and life cycle to delete each block, an efficient garbage collection method to evenly wear out the flash memory region is needed. This paper proposes a memory compaction scheme based on block-level buffer for flash memory. The proposed scheme not only merges the data blocks and the corresponding log block, but also searches for the block-level buffer to find the corresponding buffer blocks. Consequently, unnecessary potential page copying operations and block erasure operations could be reduced, thereby improving the performance of flash memory and prolonging the lifetime of flash memory.
Flash Memory;Memory Compaction;Garbage Collection;Block-level buffer;FTL
- E. Gal and S. Toledo, "Algorithms and Data Structures for Flash Memories," ACM Computing Surveys, 2005.
- S.W. Lee, D.J. Park, T.S. Chung, D.H. Lee, S.W. Park, and H.J. Song, "A Log Buffer-based Flash Translation Layer using Fully-Associative Sector Translation," ACM Transactions on Embedded Computing Systems, vol. 6, no.3, 2007.
- C. Park, W.M. Cheon, J.G. Kang, K.G. Roh, W.H. Cho, and J.S. Kim, "A Reconfigurable FTL Architecture for NAND Flash-based Applications," ACM Transactions on Embedded Computing Systems, vol. 7, no. 4, 2008.
- J.U. Kang, H.S. Jo, J.S. Kim, and J.W. Lee, "A Super Block-based Flash Translation Layer for NAND Flash Memory," Proc. International Conference on Embedded Software, 2006, pp. 161-170.
- J. Kang, J.M. Kim, S.H. Noh, S.L. Min and Y. Cho, "A Space-efficient Flash Translation Layer for Compact Flash Systems," IEEE Transactions on Consumer Electronics, vol. 48, no.2, 2006, pp. 366-375. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCE.2002.1010143
- S.Y. Park, D.W. Jung, J.U. Kang, J.S. Kim and J.W. Lee, "CFLRU: A Replacement Algorithm for Flash Memory," International Conference on Compilers, Architecture and Synthesis for Embedded Systems, 2006, pp. 234-241.
- H. Kim and S.J. Ahn, "BPLRU: A Buffer Management Scheme for Improving Random Writes in Flash Storage," Proceedings of the 6th USENIX Conference on File and Storage Technologies, 2008.
- H. Jo, J.U. Kang, J.S. Kim, and J. Lee, "FAB: Flashaware Buffer Management Policy for Portable Media Players," IEEE Transactions on Consumer Electronics, vol. 52, no.2, 2006, pp. 485-493. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCE.2006.1649669
- S.W. Lee and B.K. Moon, "Design of Flash-based DBMS: An In-page Logging Approach," International conference on Management of Data, Beijing, China, 2007, pp. 55-66.
- L.P. Chang and T.W. Kuo, "An Efficient Management Scheme for Large-scale Flash-memory Storage Systems," Symposium on Applied Computing, 2004, pp. 862-868.
- K.H. Park and S.H. Lim, "An Efficient NAND Flash File System for Flash Memory Storage," IEEE Transactions on Computers, vol. 55, 2006, pp. 906-912. https://doi.org/10.1109/TC.2006.96
- Intel Corporation, "Understanding the Flash Translation Layer (FTL) Specification," White Paper, http://www.embeddedfreebsd.org/Documents/Intel-FTL.pdf, 1998.
- A. Kawaguchi, S. Nishioka, and H. S. Motoda, ”A Flashmemory based File System,” USENIX Association, 1995, pp. 13-23.
- S. Y. Kang, S. M. Park, H. Y. Jung, H. K. Shim, and J. Y. Cha, ”Performance Trade-Offs in Using NVRAM Write Buffer for Flash Memory-Based Storage Devices,” IEEE Computer Society, vol. 58, no. 6, 2009, pp. 744-758. https://doi.org/10.1109/TC.2008.224
- M. L. Chiang and R. C. Chang, “Cleaning Policies in Mobile Computers using Flash Memory,” Elsevier Science Inc, vol. 48, no. 3, 1999, pp. 213-231. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0164-1212(99)00059-X
- I. Koltsidas and S. D. Viglas, “Flashing up the Storage Layer,” VLDB Endowment, vol. 1, no. 1, 2008, pp. 514-525. https://doi.org/10.14778/1453856.1453913
- A. Birrell, M. Isard, C. Thacker, and T. Wobber, “A Design for High-performance Flash Disks,” ACM SIGOPS Operating Systems Review, vol. 41, no. 2, 2007, pp. 88-93. https://doi.org/10.1145/1243418.1243429
- S. W. Lee, B. K. Moon, C. N. Park, J. M. Kim and S. W. Kim, “A Case for Flash Memory SSD in Enterprise Database Applications”, International Conference on Management of Data, 2008, pp. 1075-1086.