- Volume 39 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Effect of Ecklonia stolonifera Extracts on Bone Turnover Markers in Ovariectomized Rats
곰피가 갱년기 장애 유도 흰쥐의 골 대사 지표물질의 변화에 미치는 영향
- Kim, Young-Kyoung (Dept. of Food and Nutrition, Silla University) ;
- Kim, Mi-Hyang (Dept. of Food and Nutrition, Silla University)
- Received : 2010.10.11
- Accepted : 2010.12.07
- Published : 2010.12.31
Menopause is often associated with the incidence of several chronic diseases including osteoporosis, cardiovascular disease, and obesity. The purpose of this study was designed to evaluate the possibility of osteoporosis prevention in postmenopausal women. In this study, we investigated the effects of Ecklonia stolonifera (ES) extracts on bone turnover markers in ovariectomized rats. For this study, the following four groups of 9-week-old Sprague-Dawley rats were evaluated over 6 weeks: normal rats (SHAM), ovariectomized rats (OVX-CON) and ovariectomized rats that were treated with ES extracts. We measured the osteocalcin and C-telopeptide of collagen cross-links (CTx) content, enzyme ALP activity in serum and collagen content in the cartilage, bone, skin and lungs. We found that the levels of indicators of bone metabolism such as alkaline phosphatase (ALP), osteocalcin and CTx were lower in rats in the ES extract group than the OVX-CON group. In addition, the collagen contents in the bone, cartilage, skin and lungs decreased in response to ovariectomy, but the levels of collagen were greater in the bone of rats that were treated with ES extract than in the bone of rats in the OVX-CON group. These results suggest that the ES may be an effective functional food to prevent osteoporosis in postmenopausal women.
- Korea National Statistical Office. 2008. Lifetable. Seoul,Korea.
- Lee KE, Park YJ, Byun SJ, Yoo EK, Lee ML, Lee YS, Lee HK, Chung ES, Cho OS, Choi ES, Han HS. 1997. Women Health Nursing. Hyunmoonsa, Seoul, Korea.
- Johnston CC, Hui SI, Witt RM, Appledorn R, Baker S, Longcope C. 1985. Early menopausal changes in bone mass and sex steroids. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 61: 905-911. https://doi.org/10.1210/jcem-61-5-905
- Richelson LS, Wahner HW, Melton LJ. 1984. Relative contributions of aging and estrogen deficiency to postmenopausal bone loss. New Engl J Med 37: 1273-1278.
- Kimble RB, Vannice JL, Bloedowl DC. 1994. Interleukin-1 receptor antagonist decreases bone loss and bone resorption in ovariectomized rats. J Clin Invest 93: 1959-1967. https://doi.org/10.1172/JCI117187
- Lee YA, Kim M. 2008. Effects of sea tangle extract on formation of collagen and collagen cross-link in ovariectomized rats. J Life Sci 18: 1578-1583. https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2008.18.11.1578
- Kimble RB, Matayoshi AB, Vannice JL. 1995. Simultaneous block of interleukin-1 and tumor necrosis factor is required to completely prevent bone loss in the early postovariectomy period. Endocrinology 136: 3054-3061. https://doi.org/10.1210/en.136.7.3054
- Dempster DW, Birchman R, Xu R. 1995. Temporal changes in cancellous bone structure of rats immediately after ovariectomy. Bone 16: 157-161.
- Lee HS, Jin SH, Kim HS, Ryu BH. 1995. Characteristic properties of fucoidan sulfate purified from Gompi, Ecklonia stolonifera. Korean J Food Sci Technol 27: 716-723.
- Park JC, Hur JM, Gwon HJ, Kim HJ, Chun SS, Choi JS, Choi JW. 2000. Effects of phloroglucinol isolated from Ecklonia stolonifera on the acetaminophen-metabolizing enzyme system in rat. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 29: 448-452.
- Sung JH, Ha S, Im MH, Im JG, Kang KS. 2002. Seaweed and health. In Foods and Health. Hyungseol Press Co, Seoul, Korea. p 190.
- Cho KJ, Lee YS, Ryu BH. 1990. Antitumor effect and immunology activity of seaweeds toward sarcoma-180. Bull Kor Fish Soc 23: 345-352.
- Kim SA, Kim J, Woo MK, Kwak CS, Lee MS. 2005. Antimutagenic and cytotoxic effects of ethanol extracts from five kinds of seaweeds. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 34: 451-459. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2005.34.4.451
- Kwon MJ, Nam TJ. 2006. Effects of Mesangi (Capsosiphon fulvecens) power on lipid metabolism in high cholesterol fed rats. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 35: 530-535. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2006.35.5.530
- Kang JW. 1966. On the geographical distribution of marine algae Korea. Bull Pusan Fish Coll 7: 1-125.
- Kim OK, Lee TG, Park YB, Park DC, Lee YW, Yeo SG, Kim IS, Park YH, Kim SB. 1996. Inhibition of xanthine oxidase by seaweed extracts. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 25: 1069-1073.
- Park YB. 2005. Determination of nitrite scavenging activity of seaweed. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 34: 1293-1296. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2005.34.8.1293
- Kim JH, Lee DS, Lim CW, Park HY, Park JH. 2002. Antibacterial activity of sea-mustard, Laminaria japonica extracts on the cariogenic bacteria, Streptococcus mutans. J Korean Fish Soc 35: 191-195. https://doi.org/10.5657/kfas.2002.35.2.191
- Ryu BH, Chi BH, Kim DS, Ha MS. 1986. Desmutagenic effect of extracts obtained from seaweed. J Korean Fish Soc 19: 502-508.
- Woessner JF. 1961. The determination of hydroxyproline in tissue and protein sample containing small proportion of this amino acid. Arch Biochem Biophys 93: 440-447. https://doi.org/10.1016/0003-9861(61)90291-0
- Abe T, Chow JM, Lean JM, Chambers TJ. 1993. Estrogen does not restore bone list after ovariectomy in the rat. J Bone Miner Res 8: 831-838. https://doi.org/10.1002/jbmr.5650080709
- Aitken JM, Armstrong E, Anderson JB. 1972. Osteoporosis after oophorectomy in the mature female rat and the effect of oestrogen and/or progesterone replacement therapy in its prevention. J Endocrinol 55: 79-87. https://doi.org/10.1677/joe.0.0550079
- Wronski TJ, Cintron M, Dann LM. 1988. Temporal relationship between bone loss and increased bone turnover ovariectomized rats. Calcif Tissue Int 43: 179-183. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02571317
- Ramirez ME, McMurry MP, Wiebke GA, Felton KJ, Ren K. 1997. Evidence for sex steroid inhibition of lipoprotein lipase in men; comparison of abdominal and femoral adipose tissue. Metabolism 46: 179-185. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0026-0495(97)90299-7
- Valette A, Meignen KM, Mercier L, Liehr JG, Boyer J. 1986. Effect of 2-fluoroestradiol on lipid metabolism in the ovariectomized rat. J Steroid Biochem 25: 575-578. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-4731(86)90405-X
- Turner RT, Wakley GK, Hannon KS. 1974. Tamoxifen prevents the skeletal effects of ovarian hormone deficiency in rats. J Bone Mineral Res 2: 449-459. https://doi.org/10.1002/jbmr.5650020513
- Muller K, Hsiao S. 1980. Estrus- and ovariectomy-induced body weight changes: evidence for two estrogenic mechanisms. J Comp Physiol Psychol 94: 1126-1134. https://doi.org/10.1037/h0077746
- Mook DG, Kenney NJ, Roberts S, Nussbaum AI, Rodier WI. 1972. Ovarian-adrenal interactions in regulation of body weight by female rats. J Comp Physiol Psychol 81: 198-211. https://doi.org/10.1037/h0033526
- Pi YZ, Wu XP, Liu SP, Luo XH, Cao XZ, Xie H, Liao EY. 2006. Age-related changes in bone biochemical markers and their relationship with bone mineral density in normal Chinese woman. J Bone Miner Res 24: 380-385. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00774-006-0703-2
- Kim IG, Kim SB, Kim JG, Kim KC. 1993. Serum enzymes as indicators of radiation exposure in rat. J Radiation Protection 16: 37-44.
- Khandwala HM, Mumm S, Whyte MP. 2006. Low serum alkaline phosphatase activity and pathologic fracture: case report and brief review of hypophosphatasia diagnosed in adulthood. Endocr Pract 12: 676-681. https://doi.org/10.4158/EP.12.6.676
- Cecchettin M, Bellomatti S, Cremonesi G, Solomeno LP, Torrim G. 1995. Metabolic and bone effects after administration of ipriflavone and salmon calcitonin postmenopausal osteoporosis. Biomed Pharmacother 49: 465-468. https://doi.org/10.1016/0753-3322(96)82691-6
- Jang JS. 1987. Bone metabolism and its hormonal regulation. Current Medical Research and Opinion 30: 11-15.
- Kim SJ. 2003. Study on the relationship between osteoporosis- cause factor and bone mineral density, Biochemical Marker. MS Thesis. Pukyong National University, Busan, Korea.
- Park HM, Kim TC, Kim TC, Kang KH, Yoon SJ, Hur M.2000. The predictive value of changes of bone markers for changes of bone mineral density in postmenopausal hormone replacement therapy with or without active vitamin D. Korean J Obstetrics Gynecology 43: 268-274.
- Bonde M, Garnero P, Fledelius C, Qvist P, Delmas PD, Christiansen C. 1997. Measurement of bone degradation products in serum using antibodies reactive with an isomerized from of an 8 amino acid sequence of the C-telopeptide of type Ⅰ collagen. J Bone Mine Res 12: 1028-1034. https://doi.org/10.1359/jbmr.1918.104.22.1688
- Garnero P, Hausherr E, Chapuy MC, Marcelli C, Garndjean H, Muller C, Cormier C, Breart G, Meunier PJ, Delmas PD. 1996. Markers of bone resorption predict hip fracture in elderly women: the EPIDOS Prospective Study. J Bone Miner Res 11: 1531-1538. https://doi.org/10.1002/jbmr.5650111021
- Nakamura YN, Iwamoto H, Ono Y, Nishimura S, Tabata S. 2003. Relationship among collagen amount, distribution and architecture in the M. Longissimus thoracis and M. pectoralis profundus from pigs. Meat Sci 64: 43-50. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(02)00135-3
- Kim MH, Otsuka M, Arakawa N. 1994. Age-related change in the pyridinoline content of guinea pigs cartilage and achilles tendon collagen. J Nutr Sci Vitaminol 40: 95-103. https://doi.org/10.3177/jnsv.40.95
- Tiki ML, Allison GT. 2003. Malondialdehyde oxidation of cartilage collagen by chondrocyte. Osteo Arthritis Research Soc Int 11: 159-166.
- Clark AP, Schuttinga JA. 1992. Targeted estrogen/progesterone replacement therapy for osteoporosis: calculation of health care cost savings. Osteoporos Int 2: 195-200. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01623926
- The Effect of Ishige okamurae Extracts on Antioxidant Activity and Serum Lipid Content in Ovariectomized Rats vol.23, pp.12, 2013, https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2013.23.12.1501
- Effects of Eisenia bicyclis Extracts on the Proliferation and Activity of Osteoblasts and Osteoclasts vol.24, pp.3, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2014.24.3.297
- Effects of Colpomenia sinuosa Extract on Serum Lipid Level and Bone Formation in Ovariectomized Rats vol.45, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2016.45.4.492
- The Effect of Eisenia bicyclis Extracts on Antioxidant Activity and Serum Lipid Level in Ovariectomized Rats vol.22, pp.10, 2012, https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2012.22.10.1407