- Volume 39 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Catabolic Enzyme Activities and Physiological Functionalities of Lactic Acid Bacteria Isolated from Korean Traditional Meju
재래식 메주에서 분리한 유산균들의 각종 효소활성 및 기능성
- Jeong, Ji-Kang (Dept. of Food Science and Nutrition, Pusan National University) ;
- Zheng, Yanfei (Dept. of Food Science and Nutrition, Pusan National University) ;
- Choi, Hye-Sun (National Academy of Agricultural Science, Rural Development Administration) ;
- Han, Gwi-Jung (National Academy of Agricultural Science, Rural Development Administration) ;
- Park, Kun-Young (Dept. of Food Science and Nutrition, Pusan National University)
- 정지강 (부산대학교 식품영양학과) ;
- 정연비 (부산대학교 식품영양학과) ;
- 최혜선 (농촌진흥청 국립농업과학원) ;
- 한귀정 (농촌진흥청 국립농업과학원) ;
- 박건영 (부산대학교 식품영양학과)
- Received : 2010.11.18
- Accepted : 2010.11.30
- Published : 2010.12.31
Three kinds of Korean traditional Meju were selected and the counts of microorganisms in these Meju were determined. The counts of total aerobic bacteria, lactic acid bacteria and yeasts and molds were 107~108, 106~108 and 107~108 cfu/g, respectively in three Meju and lactic acid bacteria were important microorganisms in the fermentation of Meju. Therefore, we isolated three kinds of dominant lactic acid bacteria from these Meju. They were identified as Leuconostoc mesenteroides (98%, Lm-SMm), Lactobacillus plantarum (99%, Lp-SMm) and Lactococcus lactis (98%, Ll-GAm). Then, enzyme activities and physiological functionalities of three lactic acid bacteria were investigated. Protease, lipase and
Supported by : 농촌진흥청
- Lee KH, Kim ND, Yoo JY. 1997. Survey on the manufacturing process of traditional Meju and Kanjang (Korean soy sauce). Korean J Soc Food Sci Nutr 26: 390-396.
- Oh HI, Park JM. 1997. Changes in quality characteristics of traditional Kochujang prepared with a Meju of different fermentation period during aging. Korean J Food Sci Technol 29: 1166-1174.
- Choi KS, Lee HJ, Kwon DJ. 2009. Physicochemical and microbiological properties of Korean traditional Meju. Korean J Food Preserv 16: 217-222.
- Yoo JY, Kim HG, Kim WJ. 1998. Physicochemical and microbiological changes of traditional Meju during fermentation in Kangweondo area. Korean J Food Sci Technol 30: 908-915.
- Lee JS, Yi SH, Kwon SJ, Ahn C, Yoo JY. 1997. Enzyme activities and physiological functionality of yeasts from traditional Meju. Kor J Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 25: 448-453.
- Choi KK, Cui CB, Ham SS, Lee DS. 2003. Isolation, identification and growth characteristics of main strain related to Meju fermentation. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 32: 818-824. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2003.32.6.818
- Lim SI. 2000. Purification and characterization of protease produced by Aspergillus wentti isolated from Korean traditional Meju. Korean J Food Sci Technol 32: 161-167.
- Lim SI, Kim HK, Yoo JY. 2000. Characteristics of protease produced by Bacillus subtilis PCA 20-3 isolated from Korean traditional Meju. Korean J Food Sci Technol 32: 154-160.
- Byun YG, Kim SH, Joo HK, Lee GS, Yim MH. 1998. Isolation and identification of protease producing bacteria, Bacillus subtilis YG-95 from the traditional Meju and its production condition. Agric Chem Biotechnol 41: 342-348.
- Kang MJ, Kim SH, Joo HK, Lee GS, Yim MH. 2000. Isolation and identification of microorganisms production the soy protein-hydrolyzing enzyme from traditional Meju. J Korean Soc Agric Chem Biotechnol 43: 86-94.
- Lee Y, Chang HC. 2008. Isolation and characterization of kimchi lactic acid bacteria showing anti-Helicobacter pylori activity. Korean J Microbiol Biotechnol 36: 106-114.
- Lee SG, Han KS, Jeong SG, Oh MH, Jang AR, Kim DH, Bae IH, Man JS. 2010. A study on the sensory characteristics of yogurt and antimicrobial activity of Lactobacillus plantarum LHC52 isolated from kimchi. Korean J Food Sci Ani Resour 30: 328-335. https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2010.30.2.328
- Cha SD, Kim TW, Lee DH. 2010. Isolation and identification of Lactobacillus plantarum CIB001 with bile salt deconjugation activity from kimchi. Korean J Microbiol Biotechnol 38: 222-262.
- Butler JP. 1986. Bergey's manual of systemic bacteriology. Williams & Wilkins, Baltimore, MD, USA. Vol II, p 1104.
- MacFaddin JF. 1980. Biochemical tests for identification of medical bacteria. Williams & Wilkins, Baltimore, MD, USA. p 36.
- Choi SS, Kim Y, Han KS, You S, Oh S, Kim SH. 2006. Effects of Lactobacillus strains on cancer cell proliferation and oxidative stress in vitro. Lett Appl Microbiol 42:452-458. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1472-765X.2006.01913.x
- Lee JM, Hwang KT, Heo MS, Park KY. 2005. Resistance of Lactobacillus plantarum KCTC 3099 from kimchi to oxidative stress. J Med Food 8: 299-304. https://doi.org/10.1089/jmf.2005.8.299
Lee JM. 2005. Adhesion of kimchi Lactobacillus strains to Caco-2 cell membrane and sequestration of aflatoxin
$B_1$. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 34: 581-585. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2005.34.5.581
- Chae SK, Kang KS, Lew ID, Ma SJ, Bang KY, Oh MH, Oh SH. 2004. Food Analysis. Jigu Publishing Co., Seoul,Korea. p 675.
- Kim SY, Park YJ, Lee CY. 1971. Factors that influence the activity of a Candida lipase. J Korean Agric Chem Soc 14: 207-212.
- Lee JS, Kwon SJ, Chung SW, Choi YJ, Yoo JY, Chung DH. 1996. Changes of microorganisms, enzyme activities and major components during the fermentation of Korean traditional Deonjang and Kochujang. Korean J Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 24:247-253.
- Blois MS. 1958. Antioxidant determinations by the use of a stable free radical. Nature 181: 1199-1200. https://doi.org/10.1038/1811199a0
- Skehan P, Storeng R, Monks SA, McMahon J, Vistica D, Warren JT, Bokesch H, Kenny S, Boyd MR. 1990. New colorimetric cytotoxicity assay for anticancer drug screening. J Natl Cancer Inst 82: 1107-1112. https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/82.13.1107
- Cho YH, Oh SJ. 2010. Casein phosphopeptide (CPP)-producing activity and proteolytic ability by some lactic acid bacteria. Korean J Food Sci Ani Resour 30: 443-448. https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2010.30.3.443
- Ahtupa M, Saxelin M, Korpela R. 1996. Antioxidative properties of Lactobacillus GG. Nutr Today (Suppl) 31: 51S-52S.
- Korpela R, Peuhkuri K, Lahteenmaki T, Sievi E, Saxelin M, Vapaatalo H. 1997. Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG shows antioxidative properties in vascular endothelial cell culture. Milchwissenschaft 52: 503-505.
- Kim HS, Ham JS. 2003. Antioxidative ability of lactic acid bacteria. Korean J Food Sci Ani Resour 23: 186-192.
- Moon GS. 1991. Comparison of various kinds of soybean sauces on their antioxidative activities. J Korean Soc Food Nutr 20: 582-589.
- Kim MH, Im SS, Yoo YB, Kim GE, Lee JH. 1994. Antioxidative materials in domestic Meju and Doenjang 4. Separation of phenolic compounds and their antioxidative activity. J Korean Soc Food Nutr 23: 792-798.
- Kim JE, Kim JY, Lee KW, Lee HJ. 2007. Cancer chemopreventive effects of lactic acid bacteria. J Microbiol Biotechnol 17: 1227-1235.
- Probiotic Effects of Lactobacillus plantarum Strains Isolated from Kimchi vol.45, pp.12, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2016.45.12.1717
- Antioxidant Activity of Korean Traditional Soy Sauce vol.44, pp.9, 2015, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2015.44.9.1399
- Antioxidant activity and anti-inflammatory activity of ethanol extract and fractions ofDoenjangin LPS-stimulated RAW 264.7 macrophages vol.9, pp.6, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4162/nrp.2015.9.6.569
- Production of fermented apple juice using Lactobacillus plantarum JBE245 isolated from Korean traditional Meju vol.48, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.9721/KJFST.2016.48.5.445