- Volume 39 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Antioxidative Activity of Solvent Extracts from Synurus excelsus and Synurus palmatopinnatifidus
큰수리취 및 국화수리취 용매추출물의 항산화 활성
- Lee, Kwang-Jae (Gangwon Agricultural Research and Extention Services) ;
- Yun, In-Ju (Gangwon Agricultural Research and Extention Services) ;
- Kim, Hee-Yeon (Gangwon Agricultural Research and Extention Services) ;
- Kim, Kyung-Hee (Gangwon Agricultural Research and Extention Services) ;
- Kim, Young-Jin (Gangwon Agricultural Research and Extention Services) ;
- Kim, Dong-Woon (National Institute of Animal Science, RDA) ;
- Lim, Sang-Hyun (Gangwon Agricultural Research and Extention Services)
- 이광재 (강원도농업기술원) ;
- 윤인주 (강원도농업기술원) ;
- 김희연 (강원도농업기술원) ;
- 김경희 (강원도농업기술원) ;
- 김영진 (강원도농업기술원) ;
- 김동운 (농촌진흥청 국립축산과학원) ;
- 임상현 (강원도농업기술원)
- Received : 2010.09.06
- Accepted : 2010.10.19
- Published : 2010.12.31
The total polyphenol contents and antioxidative activities of water and ethanol extracts from Synurus excelsus and Synurus palmatopinnatifidus var. palmatopinnatifidus were determined. Total polyphenol contents of ESE and ESP were 195.7 and 216.2 mg/g, and were higher than WSE (74.7 mg/g) and WSP (77.4 mg/g). The total flavonoid contents were also higher in ESE (176.6 mg/g) and ESP (148.8 mg/g) than WSE and WSP. DPPH radical scavenging activities of ESE and ESP (73.1 and 73.4%) were higher than WSE and WSP as like total polyphenol and flavonoid contents. Although the DPPH radical scavenging activities of the extracts were proportional to total polyphenol contents, there are no differences between water extracts and ethanol extracts of Synurus excelsus and Synurus palmatopinnatifidus on ABTS radical scavenging activities. Moreover, all the solvent extracts (ESE, ESP, WSE and WSP) had no SOD-like activity. These results suggest that consideration for adoption of method is necessary to evaluate antioxidative activity of extracts from plants including vegetables.
Supported by : 농촌진흥청
- Ham SS, Han HS, Choi KP, Oh DH. 1997. Inhibitory effects of Synurus deltoides extracts on the mutagenesis induced by various mutagens. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 26: 528-533.
- Lee SO, Lee HJ, Yu MH, Im HG, Lee IS. 2005. Total phenol contents and antioxidant activities of methanol extracts from vegetables produced in Ullung island. Korean J Food Sci Technol 37: 233-240.
- Cho EJ. 2000. A survey on the usage of wild grasses. Korean J Dietary Culture 15: 59-68.
- Lee YN. 2007. New Flora of Korea. Kyohaksa, Seoul, Korea. Vol Ⅱ, p 362-363.
- Lee SM, Cho JS. 2001. Sensory and mechanical characteristics of surichwi-injeulmi by adding surichwi contents. Korean J Soc Food Sci 17: 1-6.
- Choi YH, Son KH, Chang HW, Bae K, Kang SS, Kim HP. 2004. New anti-inflammatory formulation containing Synurus deltoides extract. Arch Pharm Res 28: 848-853. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02977352
- Park JH, Son KH, Kim SW, Chang HW, Bae K, Kang SS, Kim HP. 2004. Antiinflammatory activity of Synurus deltoides. Phytother Res 18: 930-933. https://doi.org/10.1002/ptr.1595
- Nam JH, Choi SZ, Lee KR. 2004. Phytochemical constituents of Synurus excelsus. Kor J Pharmacogn 35: 116- 121.
- Jung MJ, Heo SI, Wang MH. 2008. Antioxidant activities of different parts of Synurus deltoids Nakai extracts in vitro. Food Sci Biotechnol 17: 1156-1159.
- Kwon MC, Han JG, Qadir SA, An JH, Lee DH, Lee HY. 2008. Enhancement of immune-potentiation of Cichorium endivia L. by ultrasonification extraction process. Korean J Medicinal Crop Sci 16: 1-7.
- Folin AD, Denis W. 1915 A colorimetric method for the determination of phenols (and phenol derivatives) in urine. J Biol Chem 22: 305-308.
- Boo HO, Lee HH, Lee JW, Hwang SJ, Park SU. 2009.Different of total phenolics and flavonoids, radical scavenging activities and nitrite scavenging effects of Monordica charantia L. according to cultivars. J Med Crop Sci 17: 15-20.
- Blois MS. 1958. Antioxidant determination by the use of a stable free radical. Nature 181: 1198-1202.
- Re R, Pellegrini N, Proteggente A, Pannala A, Yang M, Rice-Evans C. 1999. Antioxidant activity applying an improved ABTS radical cation decolorization assay. Free Radic Biol Med 26: 1231-1237. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0891-5849(98)00315-3
- Marklund S, Marklund G. 1975. Involvement of superoxide anion radical in the oxidation of pyrogallol and a convenient assay for superoxide dismutase. Eur J Biochem 47: 468-474.
- Sato M, Ramarathnam N, Suzuki Y, Ohkubo T, Takeuchi M, Ochi H. 1996. Varietal differences in the phenolic content and superoxide radical scavenging potential of wines from different sources. J Agric Food Chem 44: 37-41. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf950190a
- Kim EY, Baik IH, Kim JH, Kim SR, Rhyu MR. 2004. Screening of the antioxidant activity of some medicinal plants. Korean J Food Sci Technol 36: 333-338.
- Choi YM, Kim MH, Shin JJ. 2003. The antioxidant activities of the some commercial teas. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 32: 723-727. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2003.32.5.723
- Jeong JA, Kwon SH, Lee CH. 2007. Investigation of antioxidative and tyrosinase inhibitory activities of the seed extracts. Korean J Plant Res 20: 177-184.
- Jeong HW, Shin SL, Lee CH. 2010. Antioxidant effects of ethanol extracts from flower species of compositae plant. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 39: 159-164. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2010.39.2.159
- Wang MF, Shao Y, Yi JG, Zhu NQ, Rngarajan M, Lavoie EJ, Ho CT. 1998. Antioxidative phenolic compounds from sage (Salivia officinalis). J Agric Food Chem 46: 4869-4873. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf980614b
- Proximate Compositions and Biological Activities of Lactuca indica L. Seonhyang and Wild Species Depending on Harvesting Time vol.44, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2015.44.3.363
- Effects of Dietary Fiber Isolated from Synurus deltoides on Constipation in Loperamide-Induced Rats vol.40, pp.12, 2011, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2011.40.12.1715
- The Antioxidant Activities of the Korean Variety Mung Bean Hull Extracts as Dependent on the Different Extraction Methods vol.28, pp.5, 2012, https://doi.org/10.9724/kfcs.2012.28.5.605
- Antioxidant Activity of Brown Soybean Ethanolic Extracts and Application to Cooked Pork Patties vol.36, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2016.36.3.359
- Anti-oxidant activities of mung bean starch and starch gels prepared from whole and hulled seeds vol.25, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10068-016-0062-2
- Effect of Dendranthema indicum Extracts on Cell and DNA Damage Induced by Oxidative Stress vol.21, pp.12, 2011, https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2011.21.12.1698