- Volume 11 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Attitude Controller Design and Test of Korea Space Launch Vehicle-I Upper Stage
- Sun, Byung-Chan (KSLV Research and Development Head Office, Korea Aerospace Research Institute) ;
- Park, Yong-Kyu (KSLV Research and Development Head Office, Korea Aerospace Research Institute) ;
- Roh, Woong-Rae (KSLV Research and Development Head Office, Korea Aerospace Research Institute) ;
- Cho, Gwang-Rae (KSLV Research and Development Head Office, Korea Aerospace Research Institute)
- Published : 2010.12.15
This paper introduces the upper stage attitude control system of KSLV-I, which is the first space launch vehicle in Korea. The KSLV-I upper stage attitude control system consists of two electro-hydraulic actuators and a reaction control system using cold nitrogen gas. A proportional, derivative, and integral controller is designed for the electro-hydraulic thrust vectoring system, and Schmidt trigger ON/OFF controllers are designed for the reaction control system. Each attitude controller is designed to have enough stability margins. The stability and performance of KSLV-I upper stage attitude control system is verified via hardware in the loop tests. Hardware in the loop tests are accomplished for perturbed flight conditions as well as nominal flight condition. The test results show that the attitude control loop of KSLV-I upper stage is very stable and the attitude controllers perform well for all flight conditions. Attitude controllers designed in this paper have been successfully applied to the first flight of KSLV-I on August 25, 2009. The flight test results show that all attitude controllers of the KSLV-I upper stage performed well and satisfied the accuracy specifications even during abnormal flight conditions.
- Greensite, A. J. (1970). Analysis and Design of Space Vehicle Flight Control Systems. New York: Spartan Books.
- Park, Y. K., Sun, B. C., Roh, W. R., Choi, H. D., and Cho, G. R. (2005). The environment setup of hardware in the loop simulation test for satellite launch vehicle. Proceedings of the 6th Symposium of Space Launch Vehicle Technology, pp. 268-272.
- Sidi, M. J. (1997). Spacecraft Dynamics and Control A Practical Engineering Approach. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Sun, B. C., Park, Y. K., and Roh, W. R. (2007). Hardware in the loop tests for upper stage control systems of korean space launch vehicle. Proceedings of 2007 International Conference on Control, Automation and Systems, pp. 2313-2318.
- Sun, B. C., Park, Y. K., Roh, W. R., and Park, J. J. (2006). A study on operation algorithm of three axis flight motion simulator for launch vehicle HILS tests, Proceedings of 2006 Autumn Conference of Korean Society for Aeronautical & Space Sciences, pp. 473-476.
- Sun, B. C., Park, Y. K., Roh, W. R., and Park, J. J. (2009). Controller design and operational performance analysis on N2-gas reaction control system of launch vehicle, Proceedings of the 10th Symposium of Space Launch Vehicle Technology, pp. 60-66.
- Wie, B. (1995). Spacecraft Dynamics and Control. Tempe: Arizona State University.
- Quaternion-based attitude control design and hardware-in-the-loop simulation of suborbital modules with cold gas thrusters vol.229, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1177/0954410014539294