- Volume 11 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Numerical Analysis of the Three-Dimensional Wake Flow and Acoustic Field around a Circular Cylinder
- Kim, Tae-Su (Clean & Future Technology) ;
- Kim, Jae-Soo (Department of Aerospace Engineering, Chosun University)
- Published : 2010.12.15
For decades, researchers have rigorously studied the characteristics of flow traveling around blunt objects in order to gain greater understanding of the flow around aircraft, vehicles or vessels. Many different types of flow exist, such as boundary layer flow, flow separation, laminar and turbulent flow, vortex and vortex shedding; such types are especially observed around circular cylinders. Vortex shedding around a circular cylinder exhibits a two-dimensional flow structure possessing a Reynolds number within the range of 47 and 180. As the Reynolds number increases, the Karman vortex changes into a three-dimensional flow structure. In this paper, a numerical analysis was performed examining the flow and aero-acoustic field characteristics around a circular cylinder using an optimized high-order compact scheme, which is a high order scheme. The analysis was conducted with a Reynolds number ranging between 300 and 1,000, which belongs to B-mode flow around a circular cylinder. For a B-mode Reynolds number, a proper spanwise length is analyzed in order to obtain the characteristics of three-dimensional flow. The numerical results of the Strouhal number as well as the lift and drag coefficients according to Reynolds numbers are coincident with the other experimental results. Basic research has been conducted studying the effects an unstable three-dimensional wake flow on an aero-acoustic field.
- Barkley, D. and Henderson, R. D. (1996). Threedimensional Floquet stability analysis of the wake of a circular cylinder. Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 322, 215-241. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0022112096002777
- Dalton, C. (200190). Calculation of flow past a circular cylinder using LES. WVIVOS-Workshop on Vortex-Induced Vibrations of Offshore Structures, Vol 1, Sao Paulo, Brazil.
- Hoffmann, K. A. and Chiang, S. T. (1993). Computational Fluid Dynamics for Engineers. Wichita: Engineering Education System.
- Kim, J. W. and Lee, D. J. (1996). Optimized compact finite difference schemes with maximum resolution. AIAA Journal, 34, 887-893. https://doi.org/10.2514/3.13164
- Kim, J. W. and Lee, D. J. (2000). Adaptive nonlinear artificial dissipation model for computational aeroacoustics. 6th AIAA/CEAS Aeroacoustics Conference and Exhibit. AIAA-2000-1978.
- Labbe, D. F. L. and Wilson, P. A. (2007). A numerical investigation of the effects of the spanwise length on the 3-D wake of a circular cylinder. Journal of Fluids and Structures, 23, 1168-1188. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfluidstructs.2007.05.005
- Leweke, T. and Provansal, M. (1995). Flow behind rings: bluff body wakes without end effects. Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 288, 265-310. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0022112095001145
- Norberg, C. (2003). Fluctuating lift on a circular cylinder: review and new measurements. Journal of Fluids and Structures, 17, 57-96. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0889-9746(02)00099-3
- Persillon, H. and Braza, M. (1998). Physical analysis of the transition to turbulence in the wake of a circular cylinder by three-dimensional Navier-Stokes simulation. Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 365, 23-88. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0022112098001116
- Thompson, M., Hourigan, K., and Sheridan, J. (1996). Three-dimensional instabilities in the wake of a circular cylinder. Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science, 12, 190-196. https://doi.org/10.1016/0894-1777(95)00098-4
- Williamson, C. H. K. (1988). The existence of two stages in the transition to three-dimensionality of a cylinder wake. Physics of Fluids, 31, 3165-3168. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.866925
- Williamson, C. H. K. (1992). The natural and forced formation of spot-like ‘vortex dislocations’ in the transition of a wake. Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 243, 393-441. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0022112092002763
- Williamson, C. H. K. (1996a). Three-dimensional wake transition. Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 328, 345-407. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0022112096008750
- Williamson, C. H. K. (1996b). Vortex dynamics in the cylinder wake. Annual Review of Fluid Mechanics, 28, 477-539. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.fl.28.010196.002401
- Williamson, C. H. K. and Brown, G. L. (1998). A series in 1/√Re to represent the Strouhal-Reynolds number relationship of the cylinder wake. Journal of Fluids and Structures, 12, 1073-1085. https://doi.org/10.1006/jfls.1998.0184
- Zhang, H. Q., Fey, U., Noack, B. R., Konig, M., and Eckelmann, H. (1995). On the transition of the cylinder wake. Physics of Fluids, 7, 779-794. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.868601
- Numerical Analysis of the Unsteady Subsonic Flow around a Plunging Airfoil vol.14, pp.3, 2013, https://doi.org/10.5139/IJASS.2013.14.3.201