- Volume 11 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Design of an Autonomous Hover Control System for a Small Quadrotor
- Raharja, Gilar B. (Aerospace Information Engineering Department, Konkuk University) ;
- Kim, Gyu-Beom (Aerospace Information Engineering Department, Konkuk University) ;
- Yoon, K.J. (Aerospace Information Engineering Department, Konkuk University)
- Published : 2010.12.15
This paper discusses the development of the control system of a mini quadrotor in Konkuk University for indoor applications. The attitude control system consists of a stability augmentation system, which acts as the inner loop control, and a modern control approach based on modeling will be implemented as the outer loop. The inner loop control was experimentally satisfied by a proportional-derivative controller; this was used to support the flight test in order to validate the modeling. This paper introduces the mathematical model for the simulation and design of the optimal control on the outer loop control. To perform the experimental tests, basic electronic hardware was developed using simple configurations; a microcontroller used as the embedded controller, a low-cost 100 Hz inertial sensors used for the inertial sensing, infra-red sensors were employed for horizontal ranging, an ultrasonic sensor was used for ground ranging and a high performance propeller system built on an quadrotor airframe was also employed. The results acquired from this compilation of hardware produced an automatic hovering ability of the system with ground control system support for the monitoring and fail-safe system.
- Altug, E., Ostrowski, J. P., and Mahony, R. (2002). Control of a quadrotor helicopter using visual feedback. IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, Washington, DC. pp. 72-77.
- Bouabdallah, S., Noth, A., and Siegwart, R. (2004). PID vs LQ control techniques applied to an indoor micro Quadrotor. IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems, Sendai. pp. 2451-2456.
- Bresciani, T. (2010). Modelling, Indentification and Control of a Quadrotor Helicopter. MS Thesis, Lund University.
- Canetta, C., Chin, J., Mehrabian, S., Montejo, L., and Thompson, H. (2007). Quad-Rotor Unmanned Aerial Vehicle: Final Report (Engineering Design, MECE E3410). New York, NY: Columbia University.
- Coelho, J., Neto, R., Lebres, C., and Santos, V. (2007). Application of Fractional Algorithms in Control of a Quad Rotor Flight. Portugal: Institute of Engineering of Coimbra.
- Gurdan, D., Stumpf, J., Achtelik, M., Doth, K. M., Hirzinger, G., and Rus, D. (2007). Energyefficient autonomous four-rotor flying robot controlled at 1 kHz. IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, Rome, Italy. pp. 361-366.
- Hoffmann, G. M., Huang, H., Waslander, S. L., and Tomlin, C. J. (2007a). Quadrotor helicopter flight dynamics and control: theory and experiment. AIAA Guidance, Navigation, and Control Conference, Hilton Head, SC. pp. 1670-1689.
- Hoffmann, G., Rajnarayan, D. G., and Waslander, S. L. (2007b). STARMAC. Stanford, CA: Stanford University.
- Jenie, S. D. and Budiyono, A. (2006). Automatic Flight Control System: Classical Approach and Modern Control Perspective [Lecture Notes]. Graduate Course in Aeronautics and Astronautics, ITB.
- Leishman, J. G. (2002). The Breguet-Richet Quad-Rotor Helicopter of 1907. Available from http://wwwenaeumdedu/AGRC/Aero/Breguetpdf.
- Mian, A. A. and Wang, D. (2008). Modeling and backstepping-based nonlinear control strategy for a 6 DOF quadrotor helicopter. Chinese Journal of Aeronautics, 21, 261-268. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1000-9361(08)60034-5
- Putro, I. E. (2010). Modeling and Control Simulation for Small Autonmous Quadrotor Flying Robot. MS Thesis, Konkuk University.
- Self-Tuning Proportional Double Derivative-Like Neural Network Controller for a Quadrotor pp.2093-2480, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s42405-018-0091-6
- Development of Hardware-in-the-Loop Simulation Based on Gazebo and Pixhawk for Unmanned Aerial Vehicles vol.19, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s42405-018-0012-8