- Volume 34 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Effects of Corrosion Behavior on Failure of Co-Cured Single Lap Joints Subjected to Cyclic Tensile Loads
피로하중이 가해지는 외면겹치기 동시경화조인트의 파괴에 미치는 부식의 영향
- Shin, Kum-Cheol (Ansan College of Technology)
- 신금철 (안산공과대학)
- Published : 2010.03.01
Co-cured single lap joints under cyclic tensile loads fail initially at the tip of the interface corner between the two adherents. The failure mechanism is complex because it is related to corrosion fatigue. Corrosion behavior at the interface affects the failure of the joints because corrosion deteriorates fatigue resistance. In this study, we clarified the cause of interfacial corrosion in co-cured single lap joints under cyclic tensile loads. The failure mechanism was also analyzed by observing the failed surfaces of specimens and the stress distribution along the interface. The surface roughness at the interface and the stacking sequence of the composite adherent were examined to investigate their effects on failure of the joint.
- Jones, R., Chiu, W.K. and Paul, J., 1993, “Designing for Damage Tolerant Bonded Joint,” Composite Structures, Vol. 25, pp. 201-207. https://doi.org/10.1016/0263-8223(93)90166-N
- He, S. and Rao, M.D., 1994, “Residual Stresses and Delamination Problems Induced by Co-Curing of Damped Composite Laminates,” Journal of Composite Materials, Vol. 28, pp. 112-129. https://doi.org/10.1177/002199839402800202
- Kim, H.S., Lee, S.J. and Lee, D.G., 1995, “Development of a Strength Model for the Co-Cured Stepped Lap Joints Under Tensile Loading,” Composite Structures, Vol. 32, pp. 593-600. https://doi.org/10.1016/0263-8223(95)00034-8
- Scott, M.L., Raju, J.A.S. and Cheung, A.K.H., 1998, “Design and Manufacturing of a Post-Buckling Co-Cured Composite Aileron,” Composites Science and Technology, Vol. 58, pp. 199-210. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0266-3538(97)00116-4
- Olivier, P. and Cottu, J.P., 1998, “Optimisation of the Co-Curing of Two Different Composites with the Aim of Minimizing Residual Curing Stress Levels,” Composites Science and Technology, Vol. 58, pp. 645-651. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0266-3538(97)00137-1
- Shin, K.C. and Lee, J.J., 2000, “Tensile Load Bearing Capacity of Co-Cured Double Lap Joints,” Journal of Adhesion Science and Technology, Vol. 14, pp. 1539-1556. https://doi.org/10.1163/156856100742366
- Bannantine, J.A., Corner, J.J. and Handrock, J.L.,Fundamentals of Metal Fatigue Analysis, PrenticeHall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ.
- Fontana, M.G., 1986, Corrosion Engineering, thirded., McGraw-Hill Book Company, New York.
- Shin, K.C. and Lee, J.J., 2000, “Prediction of the Tensile Load Bearing Capacity of a Co-Cured Single Lap Joint Considering Residual Thermal Stresses,” Journal of Adhesion Science and Technology, Vol. 14, pp. 1691-1704. https://doi.org/10.1163/156856100742492
- Crane, L.W., Hamermesh, C.L. and Maus, L., 1976, “Surface Treatment of Cured Epoxy Graphite Composite to Improve Adhesive Bonding,” SAMPE Journal, Vol. 12, pp. 6-9.
- Parker, B.M. and Waghorne, R.M., 1982, “Surface Treatment of Carbon Fiber-Reinforced Composites for Adhesive Bonding,” Composites, Vol. 13, pp. 280-288. https://doi.org/10.1016/0010-4361(82)90011-8
- Renton, J.W. and Vinson, J.R., 1975, “On the Behavior of Bonded Joints in Composite Material Structures,” Engineering Fracture Mechanics, Vol. 7, pp. 41-60. https://doi.org/10.1016/0013-7944(75)90065-X
- 1995, Annual book of ASTM standards (General Products, Chemical Specialties, and End Use of Products), American Society for Testing and Materials, Philadelphia, PA, Vol. 15, pp. 205-208.
- Fuchs, H.O. and Stephens, R.I., 1980, MetalFatigue in Engineering, John Wiley & Sons, NewYork.
- Waterhouse, R.B., 1981, Fretting fatigue, Applied Science, London.
- Hills, D.A., 1994, “Mechanics of Fretting Fatigue,” Wear, Vol. 175, pp. 107-113. https://doi.org/10.1016/0043-1648(94)90173-2
- Ciavarella, M. and Demelio, G., 2001, “A Review of Analytical Aspects of Fretting Fatigue, with Extension to Damage Parameters, and Application to Dovetail Joints,” International Journal of Solids and Structures, Vol. 38, pp. 1791-1811. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0020-7683(00)00136-0
- Choi, J.H. and Lee, D.G., 1997, “Torque Capacity of Co-Cured Tubular Lap Joints,” Journal of Composite Materials, Vol. 31, pp. 1381-1396. https://doi.org/10.1177/002199839703101402
- Cho, D.H. and Lee, D.G., 1998, “Manufacturing of Co-Cured Composite Aluminum Shafts with Compression During Co-Curing Operation to Reduce Residual Thermal Stresses,” Journal of Composite Materials, Vol. 32, pp. 1221-1241. https://doi.org/10.1177/002199839803201205