- Volume 31 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
The Conceptions of Astronomical Distance of Elementary School Teachers
초등학교 교사들의 천문학적 거리에 대한 개념 연구
- Jeong, Jin-Woo (Department of Earth Science Education, Korea National University of Education) ;
- Han, Shin (Department of Earth Science Education, Korea National University of Education)
- Received : 2010.11.23
- Accepted : 2010.12.21
- Published : 2010.12.31
The purpose of this study is to identify the conceptions of elementary school teachers regarding the variation scale about astronomical distance and its accuracy with distance increased. The astronomical distance questionnaire was administered to 69 elementary school teachers, then; three teachers were selected to interview about their conceptions. Results showed that many elementary school teachers overestimated the distance from the Earth to the Moon and to the Sun, and dramatically underestimated the distances to the nearest star and to the nearest galaxy. They inferred astronomical distance with the use of both intuitive (psychological) measure and theoretical (calculative) measure. They well recited the terminology such as AU and a light-year, yet they did not show a good understanding of what the terms exactly means. Some teachers thought that the distance to Neptune is farther than the distance from Earth to the nearest star. There was a considerable variability in the participants' estimates of astronomical distances. Elementary school teachers showed a tendency to overestimate the distance as it gradually increases to the outer solar system.
Supported by : 한국교원대학교
- 김남균, 오은선, 2008, 초등학생의 공간 능력에 대한 조사연구. 한국수학교육학회지, 11, 21-38.
- 김상달, 이용섭, 이상균, 2005, 초등학교 학생들의 공간능력과 천체운동개념 및 과학탐구능력과의 관계. 한국지구과학회, 26, 461-468.
- 김은선, 2010, 공간능력을 활성화하는 과학 활동이 초등학생의 공간능력과 창의성에 미치는 효과. 한국교원대학교 석사논문, 82 p.
- 김은주, 이효녕, 윤일희, 강천덕, 2008, 창의적 사고 계발을 위한 고등학교 학습 프로그램 개발: 태양계 축소 모형을 중심으로. 한국지구과학회, 29, 290-340. https://doi.org/10.5467/JKESS.2008.29.3.290
- 이성미, 방정숙, 2007, 초등학생들의 공간감각 이해능력 실태 조사. 한국수학교육학회지, 46, 273-292.
- 임청환, 정진우, 1993, 국민학교 자연과 천문분야 내용 분석과 문제점. 한국과학교육학회지, 13, 247-256.
- 한기완, 2001, 공간감각의 개념 분석 및 교수-학습 방안 탐색. 초등수학교육, 5, 57-69.
- AAAS (American Association for the Advancement of Science), 1989, Science for all Americans. American Association for the Advancement of Science, Oxford University Press, Washington, USA, 272 p.
- Baroody, A.J. and Coslick, R.T., 1998, Fostering Children's mathematical power: An investigative approach to k-8 mathematics instruction. Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, NJ, USA, 632 p.
- Brewer, W.F., 2008, Naive theories of observational astronomy: Review, analysis and theoretical implications. In Vosniadou, S. (ed.), International handbook of research on conceptual change. Routledge, NY, USA, 155-204.
- Carlsen, W.S., 1999, Domains of teacher knowledge. In Gess-Newsome, J. and Lederman, N.G. (eds.), Examining Pedagogical Content Knowledge. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht, Netherlands, 133-144.
- Carly, S., 1985, Conceptual change in childhood. MIT press, Cambridge, MA, USA, 240 p.
- Childs, A. and McNicholl, J., 2007, Investigating the relationship between subject content knowledge and pedagogical practice through the analysis of classroom discourse. International Journal of Science Education, 29, 1629-1653. https://doi.org/10.1080/09500690601180817
- Del Grande, J., 1990, Spatial sense. The Arithmetic Teacher, 37, 14-20.
- Driver, R., Guesne, E., and Tiberghien, A. (eds.), 1985, Children's ideas in science. Open University Press, Milton Keynes, UK, 208 p.
- Driver, R. and Oldham, V., 1986, A constructivist approach to curriculum development in science. Studies in Science Education, 13, 105-122. https://doi.org/10.1080/03057268608559933
- Kennedy, L.M. and Tipps, S., 2000, Guiding childres's learning of mathematics (9th ed.). Wadsworth/Thomson Learning, Belmont, CA, USA, 576 p.
- Linn, M.C. and Peterson, A.C., 1985, Emergence and characterization of sex differences in spatial ability: A metaanalysis. Child Development, 56, 1479-1498. https://doi.org/10.2307/1130467
- McGee, M.G., 1979, Human spatial abilities: Psychometric studies and environmental, genetic, hormonal and heurological influence. Psychological Bulletin, 86, 889-918. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.86.5.889
- Miller, B.W. and Brewer, W.F., 2010, Misconceptions of astronomical distances. International Journal of Science Education, 32, 1549-1560. https://doi.org/10.1080/09500690903144099
- National Council of Teachers of Mathematics, 1989, Curriculum and evaluation standards for school mathematics. National Council of Teachers of Mathematics, Reston, VA, USA, 258 p.
- Ritger, S.D. and Cummins, R.H., 1991, Using student-created metaphors to comprehend geologic time. Journal of Geological Education, 39, 9-11. https://doi.org/10.5408/0022-1368-39.1.9
- Sadler, P.M., 1992, The initial knowledge state of high school astronomy students. Ph.D. dissertation, Harvard University, US, USA, 123 p.
- Shamos, M., 1996, The myth of scientific literacy. Rutgers University Press, NJ, USA, 288 p.
- Shore, L.S. and Kilburn, R., 1993, The effect of astronomy teaching experience on the astronomy interest and conceptions of elementary school teachers. In Proceedings of the 3rd international seminar on Misconceptions and Educational Strategies in Science and Mathematics. Ithaca, NY, USA, 1-30.
- Summers, M. and Mant, J., 1995, A survey of British primary school teachers' understanding of the Earth's place in the universe. Educational Research, 37, 3-19. https://doi.org/10.1080/0013188950370101
- Trend, R.D., 2001, Deep time framework: A preliminary study of UK primary teachers' conceptions of geological time and perceptions of geoscience. Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 38, 191-221. https://doi.org/10.1002/1098-2736(200102)38:2<191::AID-TEA1003>3.0.CO;2-C
- Trumper, R., 2001, Assessing students' basic astronomy conceptions from junior high school through university. Australian Science Teachers Journal, 41, 21-31.
- A Review of Teachers' Pedagogical Content Knowledge and Subject Matter Knowledge for Teaching Earth System Concepts vol.32, pp.5, 2011, https://doi.org/10.5467/JKESS.2011.32.5.494
- Pre-service Elementary Teachers' Conceptions on the Relative Sizes of Celestial Bodies vol.33, pp.7, 2012, https://doi.org/10.5467/JKESS.2012.33.7.645