- Volume 9 Issue 1
An existing risk diagnosing methodology (RDM) diagnoses corporate risk for product-innovation projects. However, it cannot evaluate and compare the risk levels of multiple alternatives in the product development stage. This paper proposes a modified risk diagnosis method to fill the gap of risk evaluation in selections of innovative product alternatives and the application of the method will be also illustrated by a case problem on alternative selections in electrical dimmer designs. With RDM as the foundation, a modified RDM (MRDM) is proposed to deal with the problem of selecting innovative project alternatives during the early stages of product development. The Bayesian network; a probabilistic graphical model, is adopted to support the risk pre-assessment stage in the MRDM. The MRDM is proposed by incorporating the risk pre-assessment stage into the foundation. By evaluating the engineering design risks in two electrical dimmer switches, an application of the MRDM in product innovation development is successfully exemplified. This paper strengthens the existing methodology for RDM in innovative product development projects to accommodate innovative alternatives. It is advantageous for companies to identify and measure the risks associated in product development so as to plan for appropriate risk mitigation strategies.
Risk Diagnosis Methodology;Product Innovation;Product Development;Phase of Product Development;Bayesian Network
- Buyukozkan, G. and Feyzioglu, O. (2004), A fuzzy-logic-based decision-making approach for new product development, International Journal of Production Economics, 90(1), 27-45. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0925-5273(02)00330-4
- Caputo, A. C., Cucchiella, F., Fratocchi, L., Pelagagge, P. M., and Scacchia, F. (2002), A methodological framework for innovation transfer to SMEs, Industrial Management and Data Systems, 5, 271-283.
- Caputo, A. C. and Pelagagge, P. M. (2008), Effects of product design on assembly lines performances A concurrent engineering approach, Industrial Management and Data Systems, 108(6), 726-749. https://doi.org/10.1108/02635570810883987
- Chen, H. H., Lee A. H. I., and Tong, Y. (2007), Prioritization and operations NPD mix in a network with strategic partners under uncertainty, Expert Systems with Applications, 33(2), 337-346. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eswa.2006.05.026
- Chin, K. S., Tang, D., Yang, J. B., and Wong, S. Y. (2009), A Bayesian Network based assessment system of new product development project risks, (Accepted, Expert Systems with Applications, in press).
- Chin, K. S., Xu, D. L., Yang, J. B., and Lam J. P. K. (2008), A group-based ER_AHP decision making methodology for new product development project screening under uncertainties, Expert Systems with Applications, 56(1), 142-156.
- Chin, K. S., Yang, J. B., Guo, M., and Lam P. K., (2009a), Evidential Reasoning Interval Based Application in New Product Design Assessment, IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management, 56(1), 142-156. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEM.2008.2009792
- Chin, K. S., Wang, Y. M., Poon, K. K., and Yang, J. B., (2009b), failure mode and effects analysis using a group-based evidential reasoning approach, Computers and Operations Research, 36, 1768-1779. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cor.2008.05.002
- CIMA's Fraud and Risk Management Working Group (2002), Risk management: a guide to good practice. London: CIMA.
- Cooper, J. R. (1998), A multidimensional approach to the adoption of innovation, Management Decision, 36(8), 493-502. https://doi.org/10.1108/00251749810232565
- Cooper, L. G. (2000), Strategic marketing planning for radically new products, Journal of marketing, 64(1), 1-16. https://doi.org/10.1509/jmkg.126.96.36.19987
- Cooper, R. G. (1999), From experience: The invisible success factors in Product Innovation, Journal of Product Innovation Management, 16, 115-133. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0737-6782(98)00061-7
- Dey, P. K., Kinch, J., and Ogunlana, S. (2007), Managing risk in software development projects: a case study, Industrial Management+Data Systems, 107 (2), 284-303. https://doi.org/10.1108/02635570710723859
- Ettlie, J. E. (2000), Managing Technological Innovation, New York: Wiley.
- Focardi, S. and Jonas, C. (1998), Risk Management: framework, methods, and practice, USA: Frank J. Fabozzi Associates.
- Gilbert, J. T. (1996), Reducing the risks from innovation, Journal of Systems Management, 47(1), 12-15.
- Greve, H. R. (2007), Exploration and exploitation in product innovation, Industrial and Corporate Change, 16(5), 945-975. https://doi.org/10.1093/icc/dtm013
- Griffin, A. (1997), PDMA Research on New Product Development Practices Updating Trends and Benchmarking Best Practices, Journal of Product Innovation Management, 14(6), 429-458. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0737-6782(97)00061-1
- Halman, J. I. M. and Keizer, J. A. (1994), Diagnosing risks in product-innovation projects, International Journal of Project Management, 12(2), 75-81. https://doi.org/10.1016/0263-7863(94)90013-2
- Hwang, C. L. and Yoon, K. (1981), Multiple Attribute Decision Making Methods and Applications, Springer-Verlag: New York.
- Hugin software (2007), Hugin Expert, Retrieved 19 Dec, 2007 from the World Wide Web: http://www.hugin.com.
- Jensen, F. V. (2001), Bayesian Networks and decision graphs, New York : Springer.
- Keizer, J. A., Vos, J., and Halman, J. I. M. (2005), Risks in new product development: devising a reference tool, R&D Management, 35(3), 297-309. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-9310.2005.00391.x
- Keizer, J. A. and Halman, J. I A. (2007), Diagnosing risk in radical innovation projects, Research and Technology Management.
- Keizer, J. A., Halman, J. I. M., and Song, M. (2002), From experience: Applying the risk diagnosing methodology, The Journal of Product Innovation Management, 19(3), 213-232. https://doi.org/10.1111/1540-5885.1930213
- Khodakarami, V., Fenton, N., and Neil. M. (2007), Project scheduling: improved approach to incorporate uncertainty using Bayesian networks, Project Management Journal, 38(2), 39-50.
- Lam, P. K. and Chin, K. S. (2005), Identifying and prioritizing critical success factors for conflict management in collaborative new product development, Industrial Marketing Management, 34(8), 761-772. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.indmarman.2004.12.006
- Lauria, E. J. M. and Duchessi, P. D. (2007), A methodology for developing Bayesian networks: An application to information technology (IT) implementation, European Journal of Operational Research, 179(1), 23.
- Lee, T. S. (2008), The effects of team reflexivity and innovativeness on new product development performance, Industrial Management+Data Systems, 108(4), 548-569. https://doi.org/10.1108/02635570810868380
- Lee, Y. and O'Connor, G. C. (2003), The Impact of Communication Strategy on Launching New Products: The Moderating Role of Product Innovativeness, Journal of Product Innovation Management, 20, 4-21. https://doi.org/10.1111/1540-5885.t01-1-201002
- Leithhead, B. S. (2000), Product Development risks, The internal Auditor, 57(5), 59-61.
- Li, J. and Shi, J. (2007), Knowledge discovery from observational data for process control using causal Bayesian networks, IIE Transactions, 39(6), 681. https://doi.org/10.1080/07408170600899532
- Loch, C. H., DeMeyer, A., and Picj, M. T. (2006), Managing the unknown, Canada: John Wiley and Son Inc.
- Mittal, A. and Kassim, A. (2007), Bayesian network technologies: applications and graphical models, PA : IGI Pub.
- Mobey, A. and Parker, D. (2002), Risk evaluation and its importance to project implementation, Work Study, 51(4), 202-206. https://doi.org/10.1108/00438020210430760
- More, R. A. (1985), Barriers to Innovation: Intraorganizational Dislocations, Journal of Product Innovation Management, 3 205-208.
- Mullins, J. W. and Sutherland, D. J. (1998), New Product Development in Rapidly Changing Markets: An Exploratory Study, Journal of Product Innovation Management, 15(3), 224-236. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0737-6782(97)00081-7
- Nadkarni, S. and Shenoy, P. P. (2001), A Bayesian network approach to making inferences in causal maps, European Journal of Operational Research, 128(3), 479-498. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0377-2217(99)00368-9
- Ozer, M. (2001), Factors which influence decision making in new product evaluation, European Journal of Operational Research, 163(3), 784-801.
- Roger, J., Calantone, C., Anthony, D. B., and Jeffrey, B. S. (1999), Using the Analytic Hierarchy Process in New Product Screening, Journal of Product Innovation Management, 16(1), 65-76. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0737-6782(98)00036-8
- Shaw, N. E., Burgess, T. F., and Mattos, C. D. (2005), Risk assessment of option performance for new product and process development projects in the chemical industry: a case study, Journal of Risk Research, 8(7), 693-711. https://doi.org/10.1080/13669870500167003
- Sinharay, S. and Almond, R. G. (2007), Assessing Fit of Cognitive Diagnostic Models: A Case Study, Educational and Psychological Measurement, 67(2), 239. https://doi.org/10.1177/0013164406292025
- Smith, P. G. (1999), Managing risk as product development schedules shrink, 42(5), 25-32.
- Tang, D., Yang, J. B., Chin, K. S., and Wong, S. Y. (2009), Establishing a belief rule base for risk analysis in New Product Development (Submitted).
- Tchankova, L. (2002), Risk identification-basic stage in risk management, Environment Management and Health, 13(3), 290-297. https://doi.org/10.1108/09566160210431088
- Wheelwright, S. C. and Clark, K. B. (1992), Revolutionizing Product Development: Quantum Leaps in Speed Efficiency and Quality, New York: The Free Press.
- Van de Ven, A., D. E. Polley, R. Garud and Venkataraman, S. (1999), The Innovation Journey, Oxford University Press: New York.
- Calantone, R. J., Di Benedetto, C. A., and Schmidt, J. B. (1999), Using the Analytic Hierarchy Process in New Product Screening, Journal of Product Innovation Management, 16(1), 65-76. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0737-6782(98)00036-8
- McDermott, C. M. and O'Connor, G. C. (2002), Managing radical innovation: an overview of emergent strategy issues, The Journal of Product Innovation Management, 19, 424-438. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0737-6782(02)00174-1
- Rajagopal, R. and Castillo, E. (2007), A Bayesian approach for multiple criteria decision making with applications in Design for Six Sigma, The Journal of the Operational Research Society, 58(6), 779-790. https://doi.org/10.1057/palgrave.jors.2602184
- Stress test for a technology credit guarantee fund based on survival analysis vol.66, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1057/jors.2014.10
Supported by : City University of Hong Kong