- Volume 9 Issue 1
In this paper, a systematic methodology is proposed for developing an outcome-based undergraduate Industrial and Systems Engineering Program at the Systems Engineering Department of King Fahd University of Petroleum & Minerals (KFUPM) in Saudi Arabia. This program is an upgrade of the Industrial Engineering and Operations Research (IE/OR) option, which has been in existence since 1984 and has been revised several times since then. The methodology and process used is motivated by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET) 2000 criteria and has been employed to develop the program's objectives and outcomes. Subsequently, a curriculum is designed that is expected to deliver the objectives and outcomes. The paper presents the methodology, objectives, outcomes and the developed curriculum of the outcome-based program.
Industrial and Systems Engineering;Engineering Education;Program Objectives;Program outcomes
- Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET), http://www.abet.org/forms.shtml.
- Aikens, C. H., Jackson, D. F. (2005), Ignite: A new paradigm for curriculum design and deployment in undergraduate industrial engineering education, ASEE Annual Conference Proceedings, Portland, OR, USA, 7467-7479.
- Brown, D. E., Scherer, W. T. (2000), A comparison of systems engineering programs in the United States, IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man and Cybernetics, Part C, 30(2), 204-212. https://doi.org/10.1109/5326.868442
- Colgate, J. E., McKenna, A., and Ankenman, B. (2004), IDEA: implementing design throughout the curriculum at Northwestern, International Journal of Engineering Education, 20(3), 405-411.
- Crumpton-Young, L. L., Hampton, E., Rabelo L., Williams, K., and Meza, K. (2004), ReEngineering the undergraduate industrial engineering program, IIE Annual Conference and Exhibition, Houston, TX, USA, 245.
- Duran, A., Castro, M., Rivera, F. A., Martin-Romo, C., Ponce, E., de Mora, C., and Peire, J. (2000), ERP-based, Web-enabled integrated industrial engineering curriculum pilot, Proceedings of the 30th Annual Frontiers in Education Conference, Kansas City, MO, USA, 1, T3D-17.
- Elizandro, D. W. and Matson J. O. (2001), Industrial engineering program management in the ABET 2000 environment, Proceedings of the 2001 ASEE/SEFI/TUB International Colloquium, Berlin, Germany.
- Jackman, J. K., Olafsson, S., Peters, F. E., Ryan, S. M., and Saunders, K. (2004), Integrated curriculum to improve engineering problem solving, IIE Annual Conference and Exhibition, Houston, TX, USA, 249-254.
- Kuo, W. and Deuermeyer, B. (1998), IE curriculum revisited: Developing a new undergraduate program at Texas A&M University, IIE Solutions, 30(6), 16-22.
- Leonard, M. S., Gramopadhye, A. K., Kimbler, D. L., Kurz, M. E., Jacob, R. J., McLendon, C. E., and Regunath, S. (2003), Department-level reform of undergraduate industrial engineering education: A new paradigm for engineering curriculum renewal, ASEE Annual Conference Proceedings, Nashville, TN, USA, 1833-1840.
- Leonard, M. S., Gramopadhye, A. K., Kimbler, D. L., Kurz, M. E., Jacob, R. J., Mullenix, J. B., Regunath, S., and Tangudu, S. K. (2004), Validating an industrial engineering curriculum renewal process, IIE Annual Conference and Exhibition, Houston, TX, USA, 239-244.
- Matson, J. O., Hunter, Sr. K. W., and Elizandro, D. W. (2005), An integrated systems lab and curriculum to address IE program criteria, ASEE Annual Conference Proceedings, Portland, OR, USA, 8267-8273.
- Norman, B. A., Besterfield-Sacre, M., Bidanda, B., Needy, K. L., and Rajgopal, J. (2004a), Integration and synthesis of the industrial engineering curriculum, IIE Annual Conference and Exhibition, Houston, TX, USA, 247.
- Norman, B. A., Besterfield-Sacre, M., Bidanda, B., Needy, K. L., and Rajgopal, J. (2004b), A conceptual model for integrating and synthesizing the industrial engineering curriculum, ASEE Annual Conference Proceedings, Salt Lake City, UT, USA, 2261-2272.
- Olafsson, S., Saunders, K., Jackman, J., Peters, F., Ryan, S., Dark, V., and Huba, M. (2004), Implementation and assessment of industrial engineering curriculum reform, ASEE Annual Conference Proceedings, Salt Lake City, UT, USA, 6791-6805.
- Olafsson, S., Dark, V., Jackman, J., Peters, F., and Ryan, S. (2005), Engineering problem solving in industrial engineering curriculum reform, ASEE Annual Conference Proceedings, Portland, OR, USA, 5503-5515.
- Shea, J. E. and West, T. M. (1996b), An integration approach to industrial engineering curriculum design, ASEE Annual Conference Proceedings, Washington, DC, USA, 531-538.
- Simpson, T. W., Medeiros, D. J., Joshi, S., Lehtihet, A., Wysk, R. A., Pierce, G. R., and Litzinger, T. A. (2004), IME Inc. A new course for integrating design, manufacturing and production into the engineering curriculum, International Journal of Engineering Education, 20(5), 764-776.
- Sorby, S. A., Bohmann, L. J., Drummer, T. D., Frendewey, J. O., Mattila, K. G., and Sutherland, J. W. (2005), Development of a curriculum for service systems engineering using a Delphi technique, ASEE Annual Conference Proceedings, Portland, OR, USA, 15085-15093.
- Stanfield, P. and Davis, J. (2002), Systems engineering and information technology education through the ALIVE System, ASEE Annual Conference Proceedings, Montreal, Canada, 11435-11445.
- Taylor, J. B. and Mozrall, J. R. (2004), An integrated first year curriculum in industrial and systems engineering, ASEE Annual Conference Proceedings, Salt Lake City, UT, USA, 7561-7567.
- Thissen, W. A. H. (2000), Systems engineering education for public policy, International Journal of Technology Management, 19(3-5), 408-419. https://doi.org/10.1504/IJTM.2000.002828
- Thissen, W. A., Meinsma, R. R., and Twaalfhoven, P. G. J. (1995), Project learning in the TU Delft curriculum in systems engineering, policy analysis, and management, Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man and Cybernetics, Vancouver, BC, Canada, 5, 4350-4355.
- Tonkay, G. L., Zimmers, E. W., and Williams, A. N. (2004), Information and Systems Engineering Leadership Program (ISELP): A new honors program concept at Lehigh University, ASEE Annual Conference Proceedings, Salt Lake City, UT, USA, 7273-7279.
- Walter, W. W. and Stiebitz, P. H. (2001), On developing integrated systems architecture and systems engineering courses at RIT, ASEE Annual Conference Proceedings, Albuquerque, NM, USA, 7551-7560.
- Shea, J. E. and West T. M. (1996a), A methodology for curriculum development using multi-objective programming, Computers and Industrial Engineering, 31(1-2), 25-28. https://doi.org/10.1016/0360-8352(96)00070-8
- Benchmarking industrial engineering programs vol.25, pp.4, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1108/BIJ-09-2016-0136