- Volume 1 Issue 1
This paper describes the design, manufacturing process, testing, application, and assessment of capacity-ratings of the first all advanced composites bridge on a public highway system. In order to verify the bridge design prior to the field application, a sub-scale bridge superstructure was built and tested in the laboratory. The field load test results were compared with those of the finite element analysis for the verification of validity. To investigate its in-service performance, field load testing and visual inspections were conducted under an actual service environment. The paper includes the presentation and discussion for advanced composites bridge capacity rating based on the stress modification coefficients obtained from the test results. The test result indicates that the advanced composites bridge has no structural problems and is structurally performing well in-service as expected. Since these composite materials are new to bridge applications, reliable data is not available for their in-service performance. The results may provide a baseline data for future field advanced composites bridge capacity rating assessments and also serve as part of a long-term performance of advanced composites bridge.
- Allen, H. G. (1969). "Analysis and Design of Structural Sandwich Panels." Pergamon, Oxford.
- Clarke, J. L. (1996). Structural design of polymer composite - EUR- OCOMP design code and handbook, E&FN Spon, London, England.
- Douglas A. Eckel II. (1998). "A Theoretical and Experimental Study on the Behaviour of Sandwich Bridge Decks Composed of Composite Material.", CCM Report 98-5, Univ. of Delaware.
- Kim, D. H. (1995). Composite Structures for Civil and Architectural Engineering, E&FN Spon.
- LUSAS Theory Manuel. (Ver 13.4, 2001). FEA Ltd.
- Ministry of Construction and Transportation. (MOCT). (2000). Standards specifications for highway bridges (in Korean), 2nd ed., Korea.
- Paultre, P., Chaallal, O., and Proulx, J. (1992). "Bridge dynamics and dynamic amplification factors-review of analytical and experimental findings." Can. J. Civ. Eng., Ottawa, 19.
- Rodriguez, J. G. (1997). Test and Evaluation Plan for the Composite Bridge, INEL/EXT-97-00359.