- Volume 15 Issue 1
This paper describes the influence of nutrient salts eluted from the bottom of a closed water area where polluted sediment has been deposited by inflowing river water. The elution pattern was monitored at our experimental facility. Both the sediment pore water and water above the bottom were sampled using a dialyzer sampler (peeper). The pore water of the eutrophicated sediment contained a large amount of nutrient salts, and the effect of elution was confined to a limited area of the bottom surface. The nutrient concentration of the sediment pore water was closely related to both the water temperature and dissolved oxygen (DO) concentration. The eluted nutrients from the sediment provided a source for phytoplankton and algae growth. This experimental data indicated that the water quality of the surface was not directly connected to the eluted nutrient salts, while it was indirectly affected by the total ecosystem, including all the organisms within an area and their environment.
Sediment pore water;Dialysis;Nitrogen;Phosphorus;Elution
- White paper on environment. Shiga, Japan: Shiga Prefectural Government; 2005 (in Japanese).
- A policy evaluation report. Tokyo, Japan: Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications; 2004 (in Japanese).
- A final report of Central Environment Council. Tokyo, Japan: Ministry of Environment; 2005 (in Japanese).
- Hosomi M, Sudo R. Release of nitrogen and phosphorus from sediments of Lake Kasumigaura. Res. Rep. Natl. Inst. Environ. Stud. 1984;51:191-217 (in Japanese).
- Suzuki Y, Abe C. Studies on substance transitions between bottom sediments and water. Tsukuba, Japan: Public Works Research Institute; 2006 (in Japanese).
- Yoshida T. Hedoro. Japan Sediments Management Association. Tokyo, Japan: Japan Sediments Management Association; 1985 (in Japanese).
- Azcue JM, Rosa F, Lawson G. An improved dialysis sampler for the in situ collection of larger volumes of sediment pore waters. Environ. Technol. 1996;17:95-100. https://doi.org/10.1080/09593331708616365
- Azcue JM, Rosa F. Effects of sampling technique on the determination of major ions in sediment pore water. Water Qual. Res. J. Canada 1996;31:709-724.
- Murakami K. Effect of bottom deposits on water pollution. J. Environ. Pollut. Control 1975;11:1-7.
- Tanaka T. Comprehensive Studies on the Eutrophication Control of Fresh waters. In: 1st Symposium, Report from the National Institute for Environmental; 1981; Tsukuba, Japan. p.105-108.
- Hosokawa Y, Miyoshi E, Horie T. Dependency of nutrient release on temperature and DO. Tokyo, Japan: Ministry of Transport; 1981 (in Japanese).
- Iwasa Y. Engineering limnology. Tokyo, Japan: Sankaido Press; 1991 (in Japanese).
- Tanaka H, Komori Y, Sasaki M, Ree K, Wada J. Technical memorandum of Public Works Research Institute. Tsukuba, Japan: Public Works Research Institute; 2003 (in Japanese).