- Volume 10 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Effect of 35% Hydrogen Peroxide with Dicalcium Phosphate Dihydrate on the Tooth Whitening and Microhardness
35% 과산화수소에 제2인산칼슘를 함유한 치아미백제가 치아의 색과 경도에 미치는 영향
- Received : 2010.10.20
- Accepted : 2010.11.25
- Published : 2010.11.28
The purpose of this study was to evaluate tooth whitening and microhardness after treatments with tooth bleaching agents containing dicalcium phosphate dihydrate (DCPD) and 35% hydrogen peroxide (HP) which were used in-office bleaching. Thirty enamel specimens were obtained from human premolars and randomly divided into 3 groups(n=10). Tooth bleaching agents were prepared with DCPD (0 g for controls, 0.1 g and 1 g for experimental groups) and HP solution (35% HP). All groups were applied to enamel surfaces for 60 min for 1 day. The pH of each tooth bleaching agent was measured. Tooth color, microhardness of enamel surfaces were also measured. The tooth bleaching agents containing DCPD showed a significant increase in pH compared to the ones without DCPD(p<0.05). Paired t-tests showed significant difference in color values of enamel before and after bleaching in all the groups(p<0.05). As a result, changes in color, containing DCPD group does not contain a statistically significant difference between groups was observed.(p>0.05). In all groups, tooth hardness after bleaching showed a significant decrease in microhardness (p<0.05). However, the DCPD concentration increased in the bleaching, microhardness values slightly decreased. Based on the above results, tooth bleaching agents containing DCPD and 35%HP were equally effective. Due to increases in pH and effective reduction of tooth surface decalcification, the surface characteristics are exposed to a reduced degree of negative effects, resulting in fewer constituent enamel alterations. Thus, commercial availability of the constituents of tooth whitening materials can be achieved.
35% Hydrogen Peroxide;DCPD;Tooth Color;Microhardness
- VMT. Zaragoza, “Bleaching of vital teeth: technique,” EstoModeo, Vol.9, No.2, pp.7-30, 1984.
- L. Greenwall, Bleaching techniques in restorative dentistry an illustrated guide.London: Martin Dunitz Ltd., 2001.
- V. B. Haywood and H. O. Heymann, “Nightguard vital bleaching,” Quintessence Int,Vol.20, No.6, pp.173-176, 1989.
- S. Cohen and F. M, Parkins, “Bleaching tetracycline-stained vital teeth,” Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol, Vol.29, No.3, pp.465-471, 1970. https://doi.org/10.1016/0030-4220(70)90151-9
- M. Tavares and J. Sturltz, “Light augments tooth whitening with peroxide,” J Am Dent Assoc, Vol.134, No.5, pp.167-175, 2003. https://doi.org/10.14219/jada.archive.2003.0130
- V. B. Haywood, “Current status of nightguard vital bleaching,” Compend, Vol.21, No.28, pp.10-17, 2000.
- T. Jiang, X. Ma, Z. Wang, H. Tong, J. Hu, and Y. Wang, “Beneficial effects of hydroxyapatite on enamel subjected to 30% hydrogen peroxide,” J Dent, Vol.36, No.11, pp.907-914, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jdent.2008.07.005
- R. S. McGuckin, and J. F. Babin, "Alterations in human enamel surface morphology following vital bleaching," J Prosthet Dent, Vol.68, No.57, pp.54-76, 1992. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-3913(92)90197-I
- N. Efeoglu, D. Wood, and C. Efeoglu, “Microcomputerised tomography evaluation of 10% carbamide peroxide applied to enamel,” J Dent, Vol.33, No.7, pp.561-567, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jdent.2004.12.001
- C. Zantner, N. Beheim-Schwarzbach, K. Neumann, and AM. Kielbassa, “Surface microhardness of enamel after different home bleaching procedures,” Dent Mater, Vol.23, No.2, pp.243-250, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dental.2006.06.044
- C. F. Pinto, R. Oliveira, V. Cavalli, and M. Giannini, “Peroxide bleaching agent effectson enamel surface microhardness, roughness and morphology,” Braz Oral Res, Vol.18, No.4, pp.306-311, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1590/S1806-83242004000400006
- A. Stralfors, “The effect of calcium phospate on dental caries in schoolchildren,” J Dent Res, Vol.43, No.6, pp.87-93, 1964.
- S. B. Finn and H. C. Jamison, “Phosphate chewing gum on caries incidence in children: 30-month results,” J Am Dent Assoc, Vol.74, No.5, pp.987-995, 1967. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0002-8177(67)44023-9
- Y. P. Zhang, C. S. Din, S. Miller, S. A. Nathoo, and A. Gaffar, “Intra-oral remineralization of enamel with a MFP/DCPD and MFP/silica dentifrice using surface microhardness,” J Clin Dent, Vol.6, No.2, pp.148-153, 1995.
- M. Sulieman, M. Addy, E. Macdonald, and J. S. Rees, “The bleaching depth of a 35% hydrogen peroxide based in-office product: a study in vitro,” J Dent, Vol.33, No.1, pp.33-40, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jdent.2004.07.008
- R. I. Sullivan, A. Charig, and J. Blake-Haskins, “In vivo detection of calcium from dicalcium phosphate dihydrate dentifrices in demineralized human enamel and plaque,” Am Dent Res, Vol.11, No.4, pp.380-387, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1177/08959374970110040201
- A. Joiner, “Review of the effects of peroxide on enamel and dentine properties,” J Dent, Vol.35, No.12, pp.889-896, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jdent.2007.09.008
- A. Ben-Amar, R. Liberman, and C. Gorfil, “Effect of mouthguard bleaching on enamel surface,” Am J Dent, Vol.8, No.1, pp.29-32, 1995.
- A. Freire, L. R. Archegas, and E. M. de Souza, “Effect of storage temperature on pH of in-office and at-home dental bleaching agents,” Acta Odontol Latinoam. Vol.22, No.1, pp.27-31, 2009.
- A. M. Borges, K. C. Yui, and T. C. D'Avila, “Influence of remineralizing gels on bleached enamel microhardness in different time intervals,” Oper Dent, Vol.35, No.2, pp.180-186, 2010. https://doi.org/10.2341/09-117-L
- F. Feagin, O. Sierra, and B. Jeansonne, “Effects of fluoride in remineralized human surface enamel on dissolution resistance.” J Dent Res, Vol.59, No.6, pp.1016-1021, 1980. https://doi.org/10.1177/00220345800590060201
- R. I. Sullivan, J. Masters, R. Cantore, and A. Roberson, “Development of an enhanced anticaries efficacy dual component dentifrice containing sodium fluoride and dicalcium dihydrate.” Am J Dent, Vol.14, No.2, pp.3-11, 2001.
- M. S. McCraken and V. B. Haywood, “Demineralization effects of 10 percent carbamide peroxide,” J Dent, Vol.24, No.2 pp.395-398, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1016/0300-5712(95)00113-1
- J. Perdigao, “Ultra-morphological study of the interaction of dental adhesives with carbamide peroxide bleached enamel,” Am J Dent, Vol.11, No.3, pp.291-301, 1998.
- R. H. Leonard, A. Sharma, and V. B. Haywood, “Use of different concentrations of carbamide peroxide for bleaching teeth: an in vitro study,” Quintessence Int, Vol.29, No.8, pp. 503-507, 1998.
- I. E Ruyter, K. Nilner, and B. Moller, “Color stability of dental composite resin materials for crown and bridge veneers. Dent Mater, Vol.3, No.4, pp.246-251, 1987. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0109-5641(87)80081-7
- O. Polydorou, E. Hellwig, and P. Hahn, “The efficacy of three different In-office bleaching systems and their effect on enamel microhardness.” Oper Dent, Vol.33, No.5, pp.579-586, 2008. https://doi.org/10.2341/07-148
- H. Duschner, H. Goz, and K. M. Kozak, “Effects of hydrogen peroxide bleaching strips on tooth surface color, surface microhardness, surface and subsurface ultrastructure, and microchemical composition.” J Clin Dent, Vol.17, No.3, pp.72-78, 2006.
- S. R. Grobler, A. Majeed, and M. A. Moola, “Effect of various tooth-whitening products on enamel microhardness.” SADJ. Vol.64, No.10, pp.474-479, 2009.
- J. A. Rodrigues, G. M. Marchi, and G. M. Ambrosano, “Microhardness evaluation of in situ vital bleaching on human dental enamel using a novel study design.” Dent Mater, Vol.21, No.11, pp.1059-1067, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dental.2005.03.011
- G. C. Lopes, L. Bonissoni, L. N. Baratieri, and L. C. Vieira, “Effect of bleaching agents on the hardness and morphology of enamel,” J Esthet Restor Dent, Vol.14, No.1, pp.24-30, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1708-8240.2002.tb00144.x
- A. Vieira, M. Lugtenborg, and J. L. Ruben, “Brushing abrasion of eroded bovine enamel pretreated with topical fluorides.” Caries Res, Vol.40, No.3, pp.224-230, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1159/000092230
- H. Shannon, “Characterization of enamel exposed to 10% carbamide peroxide bleaching agents,” Quintessence Int, Vol.24, No.1, pp.39-44, 1993.
- M. Tukun, F. Sevgican, and Y. Pehlivan, “Effects of 10% carbamide peroxide on the enamel surface morphology: a scanning electron microscopy study,” J Esthet Restor Dent, Vol.14, No.4, pp.238-244, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1708-8240.2002.tb00169.x
- C. M. Flaitz and M. J. Hicks, “Effects of carbamide peroxide whitening agents on enamel surfaces and caries-like lesion formation: an SEM and polarized light microscopic in vitro study,” J Dent Child, Vol.63, No.4, pp.249-56, 1996.
- Y. H. Kwon, M. S. Huo, K. H. Kim. S. K. Kim, and Y. J. Kim, “Effects of hydrogen peroxide on the light reflectance and morphology of bovine enamel,” J Oral Rehabil, Vol.29, No.5, pp.473-477, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2842.2002.00856.x