- Volume 10 Issue 11
This paper provides a review of the research on the relationship between consumer rumor and marketing management in general, and rumor's effects on brand in particular. Also corporations' efforts for managing negative rumor were discussed. In the subsequential article, this study analyzes the consumer's perception of the origin of rumors through contents analysis method, and performs ANOVA study in addition to identify if brand assets such as brand loyalty and brand involvement can affect rumor credibility perception significantly. Based on these results, this study considers some implications for brand crisis management and communications. According to the results, a brand rumor can affect both the corresponding brands and competitor's brands at a time and the relationships between existing favorable brand attitude of consumer and rumor credibility are not significant enough.
Rumor;Brand Attitude;Brand Loyalty;Contents Analysis
- 이은영, 온라인 구전수용과 확산과정에 대한 이중 경로 모형에 관한 연구, 서울대학교 박사학위논문, 2004.
- T. A. Shimp, Advertising Promotion and Other Aspects of Integrated Marketing Communication, 8th(eds.), South-Westerm College Publication, 2008.
- K. Marett and K. D. Joshi, "The Decision to Share Information and Rumors: Examining the Role of Motivation in an Online Discussion Forum", Communications of the Association for Information Systems, Vol.24, No.4, pp.47-68, 2009.
- M. V. Pezzo, and J. W. Beckstead, "A Multilevel Analysis of Rumor Transmission: Effects of Anxiety and Belief in Two Field Experiment", Basic and Applied Social Psychology, Vol.28, No.1, pp.91-100, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1207/s15324834basp2801_8
- A. C. Burns, and R. F. Bush, Marketing Research, 6th(eds.), Prentice Hall, 2009.
- Ling, Ma, "The Rumor in the Risk Society and Its Solutions", J. of Zhejiang Gongshang University, Vol.200433, 2004.
- F. W. Koenig, Rumor in the Marketplace, Auburn House Publishing Company, Dover Massachusetts, Summer, pp.213-228, 1985.
- R. L. Rosnow, "Rumor as Communication: a Contextualist Approach", J. of Communication, Winter, pp.12-28, 1988. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1460-2466.1988.tb02033.x
- T. J. Steele, S. S. Smith and W. H. McBroom, "Consumer Rumors and Corporate Communications: Rumor Etiology, Background and Potential Devastating Consequences", The J. of Marketing Management, Summer/Fall, pp.95-106, 1999.
- N. DiFonzo. and P. Bordia, Rumor Psychology, 1st (eds.), APA(American Psychology Association), 2006.
- Park, Chan Su, Estimation and Prediction of Brand Equities Through Survey Measurement of Consumer Preference Structures, Doctoral Dissertation, Stanford University, pp.2-3, 1992.
- 이학식, 임지훈, 김혜원, “K-BEAM 브랜드자산 순위의 예측타당성 평가”, 마케팅연구, 제14권, 제3호, pp.163-181, 1999.
- 이원준, 이한석, “플로우로 매개된 브랜드 스토리 특성이 브랜드 친밀감에 미치는 영향에 관한 연구”, 마케팅연구, 제24권, 제2호, pp.109-129, 2009.
- J. T. Cacioppo and R. E. Petty, "The Elaboration Likelihood Model of Persuasion", inAdvances in Consumer Research, pp.668-672, 1984.
- D. A. Aaker, Managing Brand Equity, The Free Press, 1991.
- 이창환, 심정미, 윤애선, "언어적 특성을 이용한 심리학적 한국어 글분석 프로그램(KLIWC)' 개발과정에 대한 고찰", 인지과학, 제16권, 제2호, pp.93-121, 2005.
- 박재진, 이창환, 박종민, “광고언어에 대한 통시적 분석: 1960년대부터 2000년대까지의 잡지광고를 중심으로”, 광고학연구, 제19권, 제4호, pp.29-41, 2008.
- 박한우, L. Leydesdorff, “한국어의 내용분석을 위한 KrKwic 프로그램의 이해와 적용”, J. of the Korean Data Analysis Society, Vol.6, No.5, pp.1377-1387, 2004.
- S. Putrevu and K. R. Lord1, "Comparative and Noncomparative Advertising: Attitudinal Effects under Cognitive and Affective Involvement Conditions", J. of Advertising, Vol.23, June, pp.77-90, 1994. https://doi.org/10.1080/00913367.1994.10673443
- S. E. Beatty and S. Talpade, "Adolescent Influence in Family Decision Making: A Replication with Extension", J. of Consumer Research, Vol.21, pp.332-341, 1994. https://doi.org/10.1086/209401
- M. Gotlieb and R. Saral, "Comparative Advertising Effectiveness: The Role of Involvement and Source Credibility", J. of Advertising, Vol.20, No.1, pp.38-45, 1991. https://doi.org/10.1080/00913367.1991.10673205
- T. Kamada and S. Kawai, "An Algorithm for Drawing General Undirected Graph", Information Letters, Vol.31, No.1, pp.7-15, 1989. https://doi.org/10.1016/0020-0190(89)90102-6
- J. C. .Nunnally, Psychometric Theory. New York: McGraw-Hill, 1967.