- Volume 36 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
A Study on Polybrominated Diphenyl Ethers and Organochlorine Compounds Residues Persistent in Korean Coastal Bivalves
한국 연안 이매패류에 잔류하는 PBDEs 및 OCs에 관한 연구
- Received : 2010.03.10
- Accepted : 2010.04.16
- Published : 2010.04.30
Bivalve samples from 30 locations Korean coastal waters were analyzed to characterize the contamination with and distribution of polybrominated diphenyl ethers (PBDEs), polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) and organochlorine pesticides (OCPs). The congeners of PBDE in 30 bivalve samples were analyzed by high resolution gas chromatography with a high resolution mass detector. The levels of PBDEs in bivalve samples ranged from 0.092 to 13.5 ng/g wet weight. These values for PBDEs concentrations in bivalves from Korea were higher than or comparable to available values for bivalves from other countries. In the congener profiles, BDE-47 (mean contribution=42.2%) was predominant, followed by BDE-99 (23.1%), BDE-100 (11.9%) and BDE-154 (3.5%). Among the OCs analyzed,
- Tanabe, S., Prudente, M., Kan-atireklap, S. and Subramanian, A. : Mussel watch marine pollution monitoring of butyltins and organochlorines in coastal waters of Thailand, Philippines and India. Ocean Coastal Management, 43, 819-839, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0964-5691(00)00060-0
- de Wit, C. A. : An overview of brominated flame retardants in the environment. Chemosphere, 46, 583- 624, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0045-6535(01)00225-9
- Branchi, I., Alleva, E. and Costa, L. G. : Effects of perinatal exposure to a polybrominated diphenyl ether (PBDE 99) on mouse neurobehavioural development. Neurotoxicology, 23, 375-384, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0161-813X(02)00078-5
- Bromine Science and Environmental Forum (BSEF) : An introuduction to brominated flame retardants, 2001.
- Hong, S. H., Yim, U. H., Shim, W. J., Li, D. H., Oh, J. R. : Nationwide monitoring of polychlorinated biphenyls and organochlorine pesticides in sediments from coastal environment of Korea. Chemosphere, 64, 1479-1488, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chemosphere.2005.12.056
- Burreau, S., Zebuhr, Y., Broman, D. and Ishaq, R. : Biomagnification of polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) and polychlorinated diphenyl ethers (PBDEs) studied in pike (Esox lucius), perch (Perca fluviatilis) and roach (Rutilus rutilus) from the Baltic Sea. Chemosphere, 55, 1043-1052, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chemosphere.2003.12.018
- Johnson-Restrepo, B., Kannan, K., Addink, R. and Adams, D. H. : Polybrominated diphenyl ethers and polychlorinated biphenyls in a marine food web of coastal Florida. Environmental Science and Technology, 39, 8243-8250, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1021/es051551y
- Monirith, I., Ueno, D., Takahashi, S., Nakata, H., Sudaryanto, A., Subramanian, A., Karuppiah, S., Ismail, A., Muchtar, M., Zheng, J., Richardson, B. J., Prudente, M., Hue, N. D., Tana, T. S., Tkalin, A. V. and Tanabe, S. : Asia-Pacific mussel watch: monitoring contamination of persistent organochlorine compounds in coastal waters of Asian countries. Marine Pollution Bulletin, 46, 281-300, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0025-326X(02)00400-9
- USEPA : Brominted diphenyl ethers in water, soil, sediment, and tissue by HRGC/HRMS. EPA Method 1614, August 2003 Draf, 2003.
- Nakamura, H., Matuda, M., Quynh, H. T., Cau, H. D., Chi, H. T. K. and Wakimoto, T. : Levels of polychlorinated dibenzo-p-dioxins, dibenzofurans, PCBs, DDTs and HCHs in human adipose tissue and breast milk from the south of Vietnam. Organohalogen Compounds, 21, 71-76, 1993.
- Bayen, S., Thomas, G. O., Lee, H. K. and Obbard, J. P. : Occurrence of polychlorinated biphenyls and polybrominated diphenyl ether in green mussels (Perna viridis) from Singapore, Southeast Asia. Environmental Technology Chemistry, 22, 2432-2437, 2003.
- Liu, Y., Zheng, G. J., Yu, H., Martin, M., Richardson, B. J., Lam, M. H. W. and Lam, P. K. S. : Polybrominated diphenyl ethers (PBDEs) in sediments and mussel tissues from Hong Kong marine waters. Marine Pollution Bulletin, 50, 1173-1184, 2003.
- Mai, B. X., Chen, S. J., Luo, X. J., Chen, L. G., Yang, Q. S., Sheng, G. Y., Peng, P. A., Fu, J. M. and Zeng, E. Y. : Distribution of polybrominated diphenyl ethers in sediments of the Pearl River Delta and adjacent South China Sea. Environmental Science and Technology, 39, 3521-3527, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1021/es048083x
- Ohta, S., Nakao, T., Nishimura, H., Okumura, T., Aozasa, O. and Miyata, H. : Contamination levels of PBDEs, TBBPA, PCDDs/DFs and PXDDs/DFs in the environment of Japan. Organohalogen Compounds, 57, 57-59, 2002.
- Oros, D. R., Hoover, D., Rodigari, F., Crane, D. and Sericano, J. : Levels and distribution of polybrominated diphenyl ethers in water, surface sediments, and bivalves from the San Francisco estuary. Environmental Science and Technology, 39, 33-41, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1021/es048905q
- Christensen, J. H. and Platz, J. : Screening of polybrominated diphenyl ethers in blue mussels, marine and freshwater sediments in Denmark. Journal of Environment Monitoring, 3, 543-547, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1039/b105501c
- Bethune, C., Nielsen, J. and Julshamn, K. : Current levels of primary polybrominated diphenyl ethers in Norwegian seafood. Organohalogen Compounds, 66, 3861-3866, 2004.
- Korea Environment Institute (KEI) : International regulations and counterplans of brominated flame retardants. Korea Environment Institute, Seoul Korea, 2005.
- Back, I. C., We, S. U., Cho, Y. J., Kim, K. H., Baek, J. H., Han, S. Y. and Min, B. Y. : Residueand Exposure Assessment of Polybrominated Diphenyl Ethers (PBDEs) in Breast Milk from Two Korea Regions. Proceedings of Environmental Health in Asia-Pacific Region, Jeju, Korea, 168-172, 2008.
- Kim, B. H., Ikonomou, M. G., Lee, S. J., Kim, H. S. and Chang, Y. S. : Concentrations of polybrominated diphenyl ethers, polychlorinated dibenzo-pdioxins and dibenzofurans, and polychlorinated biphenyls in human blood samples from Korea. Science of the Total Environment, 336, 45-56, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2004.05.030
- Yeo, H. G., Cho, K. C. and Chun, M. Y. : Concentrations and characteristic of PBDEs in Pine needle and soil of Ansung-city. Journal of Environmental Health Sciences, 32(2), 111-117, 2006.
- We, S. U., Kim, K. H., Baek, J. H., Han, S. Y. and Min, B. Y. : Polybrominated Diphenyl Ethers Contamination of Korea Food. Proceedings of Environmental Health in Asia-Pacific Region, Jeju, Korea, 173-176, 2008.
- Wang, X. M., Ding, X., Mai, B. X., Xie, Z. Q., Xiang, C. H., Sun, L. G., Sheng, G. Y., Fu, J. M. and Zeng, E. Y. : Polybrominated diphenyl ethers in airborne particulates collected during a research expedition from the Bohai Sea to the Arctic. Environmental Science and Technology, 39, 7803-7809, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1021/es051088p
- Hites, R. A. : Polybrominated diphenyl ethers in the environment and in people: A meta-analysis of concentrations. Environmental Science and Technology, 38, 945-956, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1021/es035082g
- Burreau, S., Axelman, J., Broman, D. and Jakobsson, E. : Dietary uptake in pike (Esox lucius) of some polychlorinated biphenyls, polychlorinated naphthalenes and polybrominated diphenyl ethers administered in natural diet. Environmental Technology Chemistry, 16, 2508-2513, 1997.
- OSPAR Commission : Qualitystatus report 2000. OSPAR Commission, London, 41-63, 2000.
- Kannan, K., Tanabe, S. and Tatsukawa, R. : Geographical distribution and accumulation and accumulation features of organochlorine residues in fish in trophical Asian and Oceania. Environment Science and Technology, 29, 2673-2683, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1021/es00010a032
- ICES : Report of Working Group for the International Study of the pollution of the North Sea and its Effects on Living Resources and their Exploitation. Cooparative Report Res., Serial No., 39, 191, 1974.
- Long, E. R., MacDonald, D. D., Smith, S. L. and Calder, F. D. : Incidence of adverse biological effects within ranges of chemical concentrations in marine and estuarine sediments. Environmental Management, 19, 81-97, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02472006
- Richard, E. J. : DDT metabolism in microbial system. Residu Reviews, 61, 1-8, 1976.
- Aguilar, A. : Relationship of DDE/PDDT in marine mammals to the chronology of DDT input into the ecosystem. Journal of Fish Aquat Science, 41, 840- 844, 1982.
- Willett, K. L., Ulrich, E. M. and Hites, R. A. : Differential toxicity and environmental fates of hexachlorocyclohexane isomers. Environmental Science and Technology, 32, 2197-2207, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1021/es9708530
- Shim, W. J., Yim, U. H., kannan, N., Li, D. and Oh, J. R. : Status and Historical Trend in the Accumulation of Toxic Chemicals in Masan-Chinhae Bay, Workshop on Ecosystem Management of interrelated River Basins. Estuaries and Coastal Sea, 26, 1-14, 2005.
- Concentrations of PBDE Congeners in Breast Milk and Predictors of Exposure in Seoul Residents vol.37, pp.6, 2011, https://doi.org/10.5668/JEHS.2011.37.6.440
Supported by : 경남대학교