- Volume 36 Issue 2
In this study, a method for river water quality evaluation by algal examination was investigated. For development of this method, algae living in small rural streams in Gwangcheon-Cheon were collected and observed by microscope. Samples were collected at six stations from May 2008 to May 2009. To elucidate the relationship between pollution and the algal species, diatom grasps were collected from the streams and used to determine the water quality grade. The numerical EC value was compared with the value of DAIpo (Diatom Assemblage Index of Organic Water Pollution), and the results showed a tendency to a mutually inverse relationship. Further, the numerical BOD and COD values were compared to the DAIpo value. The results showed that, various diatoms reside in Gwangcheon-Cheon, and water quality was found to be second-grade at all the examined points. These results indicate pollution of streams by livestock wastewater; however continuous monitoring will be necessary to more definitely determine the reason for the Gwangcheon-Cheon pollution.
epilithic diatom;water quality;DAIpo;livestock wastewater
- Wu, D. S., Jo, K. H. and Cho, Y. T. : Introduction to water pollutiuon. Donghwa Publishing Co., 2006.
- Jo, K. H., Kweon, J. H. and Park, K. Y. : Water and sewerage treatment, Sinkwang Publishing Co., 2008.
- Korea Ministry of Environment : Final research report of establishment of stream rehabilitation model, standard, and survey plan for healthy condition recovery of water ecology, 2007.
- Choi, H. S. and Yu, C. M. : A study on the epilithic algae in a stream drained from hot springs. Korean. Journal of Environmental Health Sciences, 24(3), 131-136, 1998.
- Watanabe, T., Asai, K. and Houki, A : Numerical estimation of organic pollution of flowing water by using the epilithic diatom assemblage- Diatom Assemblage Index (DAIpo). Science of the Total Environment, 55, 209-218, 1986. https://doi.org/10.1016/0048-9697(86)90180-4
- Watanabe, T. and Asai, K. : Numerical simulation using diatom assemblage of organic pollution in streams and lakes. Review of Inquiry and Research, 52, 99-139, 1990.
- Am. Water Works Assoc., Water Environ. Fed., Am. Public Health Assoc. : Standard methods for the examination of water and wastewater. 21st Ed., Washington, D. C., 2005.
- Choi, K. C. : Water analysis. Donghwa Publishing Co., 2004.
- Hendy, N. I. : The permanganate method for cleaning freshly gathered diatom. Microscopy, 32, 423-426, 1974.
- Round, F. E. : A review and methods for the use of epilithic diatoms for detecting and monitoring changes in river water quality. HMSO, London, 1993.
- Chung, J., Choi, J. S. and Lee, J. H. : Assessment for water of the Kumho river using epilithic diatom assemblage index to organic water pollution (DAIpo). Korean Journal of Environmental Biology, 11, 43-58, 1993.
- Lee, J. H. : Epilithic diatoms in the Naktong river and its value of the diatom assemblage index of organic water pollution (DAIpo). Korean Journal of Limnology, 31, 38-44, 1998.
- Park, J. W., Choi, J. S. and Kim, M. K. : Variations of epilithic diatom community and an assessment of water quality by DAIpo in the middle reaches of the Nakdong river. Korean Journal of Limnology, 37, 70- 77, 2004.
- Palmer, C. M. : A composite rating of algae tolerating organic pollution. Journal of Phycology, 5, 78-82, 1969. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1529-8817.1969.tb02581.x