- Volume 36 Issue 3
Green tobacco sickness (GTS) is an illness associated with nicotine exposures among tobacco harvesters. The purposes of this study were to measure the concentration of nicotine residues on the hands and forearms of tobacco harvesters, and to compare the concentrations according to the harvesting task. Wipe samples from the both hands and forearms were obtained from 16 workers at three sampling times (before work, in the morning after harvesting leaves, and in the afternoon after binding leaves). The geometric means of the right and left hand nicotine levels in harvesting work were 0.70 and
green tobacco sickness;tobacco;nicotine;wipe sample
- Arcury, T. A., Quandt, S. A. and Preisser, J. S. : Predictors of incidence and prevalence of green tobacco sickness among Latino farmworkers in North Carolina. Journal of Epidemiology & Community Health, 55(11), 818-824, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1136/jech.55.11.818
- Ballard, T., Ehlers, J., Freund, E., Auslander, M. and Brandt, V. : Green tobacco sickness: occupational nicotine poisoning in tobacco workers. Archives of Environmental Health, 50(5), 384-389, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1080/00039896.1995.9935972
- Parikh, J. R., Gokani, V. N., Doctor, P. B., Kulkarni, P. K., Shah, A. R. and Saiyed, H. N. : Acute and chronic health effects due to green tobacco exposure in agricultural workers. American Journal of Industrial Medicine, 47, 494-499, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1002/ajim.20162
- Boylan, B. B., Brandt, V., Muehlbauer, J., Auslander, M. and Spurlock, C. : Green tobacco sickness in tobacco harvesters-Kentucky. Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, 42, 237-240, 1993.
- Rao, P., Quandt, S. A. and Arcury, T. A. : Hispanic farmworker interpretations of green tobacco sickness. The Journal of Rural Health, 18(4), 503-511, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1748-0361.2002.tb00917.x
- Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO). Available from : http://faostat.fao.org/. Cited Feb. 13, 2007.
- Korea Tobacco Growers Cooperative Association (KTGCA). Available from : http://www.yyc.or.kr/yyc/. Cited Mar. 21, 2010.
- Trape-Cardoso, M., Bracker, A., Grey, M., Kaliszewski, M., Oncken, C., Ohannessian, C., Barrera, L. V. and Gould, B. : Shade tobacco and green tobacco sickness in Connecticut. Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, 45(6), 656-661, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.jom.0000071504.96740.ab
- Trape-Cardoso, M., Bracker, A., Dauser, D., Oncken, C., Barrera, L. V., Gould, B. and Grey, M. R. : Cotinine levels and green tobacco sickness among shade-co sickness. Journal of Agromedicine, 1A(g2), 27-37, 2005.
- Schmitt, N. M., Schmitt, J., Kouimintzis, D. J. and Kirch, W. : Health risks in tobacco farm workers-a review of the literature. Journal of Public Health, published on line, 1 June 2007. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10389-007-0122-4
- Lee, K. and Lim, H.-S. : Prevalence and risk factors of Green Tobacco Sickness among Korean tobacco harvesters, 2003. Korean Journal of Epidemiology, 27(1), 129-139, 2005.
- Zorin, S., Kuylenstierna, F. and Thulin, H. : In vitro test of nicotine's permeability through human skin. Risk evaluation and safety aspects. The Annals of Occupational Hygiene, 43, 405-413, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1093/annhyg/43.6.405
- Ghosh, S. K., Gokani, V. N., Doctor, P. B. and Parikh, J. R. : Intervention studies against "green symptoms" among Indian tobacco harvesters. Archives of Environmental Health, 46(5), 316-317, 1991. https://doi.org/10.1080/00039896.1991.9934396
- Misumi, J., Koyama, W. and Miura J. : 2 cases of green tobacco disease among tobacco harvesters and percutaneous nicotine absorption in rats. Sangyo Igaku, 25(1), 3-9, 1983. https://doi.org/10.1539/joh1959.25.3
- Onuki, M., Yokoyama, K., Kimura, K., Sato, H., Nordin, R. B. and Naing, L. : Assessment of urinary cotinine as a ma urinof nicotine absorption from tobacco leaves: a study on tobacco farmers in Malaysia. Journal of Occupational Health, 45(3), 140-145, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1539/joh.45.140
- Lee, K. and Lim, H.-S. : Green Tobacco Sickness on tobacco harvesters in Korean village. Korean Journal of Epidemiology, 24(1), 29-36, 2002.
- Marquart, H., Brouwer, D. H. and van Hemmen, J. J. : Removing pesticides from hands with a simple washing procedure using soap and water. Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, 44, 1075-1082, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1097/00043764-200211000-00014
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) : Green tobacco sickness in tobacco harvesters-Kentucky, 1992. Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, 42, 237-240, 1993.
- Curwin, B. D., Hein, M. J., Sanderson, W. T., Nishioka, M. G. and Buhler, W. : Nicotine exposure and decontamination on tobacco harvesters' hands. The Annals of Occupational Hygiene, 49(5), 407-413, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1093/annhyg/meh112
- Curwin, B. D., Hein, M. J., Sanderson, W. T., Nishioka, M. and Buhler, W. : Acephate exposure and decontamination on tobacco harvesters' hands. Journal of Exposure Analysis and Environmental Epidemiology, 13(3), 203-210, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.jea.7500271
- Geno, P. W., Camann, D. E. and Harding, H. J. : Handwipe sampling and analysis procedure for the measurement of dermal contact with pesticides. Archives of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology, 30, 132-138, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00211339
- Lee, K., Lim, H.-S., Kim, H. and Nam, S.-H. : Urinary cotinine concentrations of cases with green tobacco sickness. Korean Journal Occupational and Environmental Medicine, 16(4), 413-421, 2004.
- Park, S.-J., Kim, J.-S., Kim, J.-S., Lee, K. and Lim, H.-S. : Airborne nicotine concentrations in harvesting and the processing of tobacco leaves. Journal of Korean Society Occupational and Environmental Hygiene, 20(1), 47-52, 2010.
- Kim, H. C., Paik, N. W., Lee, K. S., Kim, K. R. and Kim, W. : A comparison of nicotine diffusive sampler and XAD-4 tube for determination of nicotine in ETS. Journal of Environmental Health Sciences, 32(5), 485-491, 2006.
- Arcury, T. A., Quandt, S. A. and Preisser, J. S. : High levels of transdermal nicotine exposure produce green tobacco sickness in Latino farm workers. Nicotine & Tobacco Research, 5, 315-321, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1080/1462220031000094132
- Brouwer, D. H., Boeniger, M. F. and Hemmen, J. V. : Hand wash and manual skin wipes. Annals of Occupational Hygiene, 44, 501-510, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1093/annhyg/44.7.501
- Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) : Exposure factors handbook, Volume 1: General factors. EPA/ 600/P-95/002Fa Washington, DC: Office of Research and Development, National Center for Environmental Assessment, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, 1997.
- Weizenecker, R. and Deal, W. B. : Tobacco cropper's sickness. Journal of the Florida Medical Association, 57, 13-14, 1970.
- Benowitz, N. L., Lake, T., Keller, K. H. and Lee, B. L. : Prolonged absorption with development of tolerance to toxic effects after cutaneous exposure to nicotine. Clinical Pharmacology & Therapeutics, 42(1), 119-120, 1987. https://doi.org/10.1038/clpt.1987.119
- Arcury, T. A., Quandt, S. A., Preisser, J. S., Bernert, J. T., Norton, D. and Wang, J. : High levels of transdermal nicotine exposure produce green tobacco sickness in Latino farmworkers. Nicotine & Tobacco Research, 5(3), 315-321, 2003b. https://doi.org/10.1080/1462220031000094132
- Korea Tomorrow and Global (KT&G) : Standard planting method of green tobacco, Korea Tomorrow and Global, Seoul, 67-68, 2006.
- American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists (ACGIH) : Documentation of the threshold limit values and biological exposure indices, ACGIH, 2008.
- Ellenhorn, M. J., Schonwald, S., Ordog, G. and Wasserberger, J. : Natural toxins. In; Ellenhorn MJ (eds.) Ellenhorn's Medical Toxicology: Diagnosis and Treatment of Human Poisoning. 2nd ed. Baltimore: Williams and Wilkins; 1997.
- Fenske, R. A., Simcox, N. J. and Camp, J. E. : Comparison of three methods for assessment of hand exposure to azinphosmethyl(guthion) during apple thinning. Applied Occupational and Environmental Hygiene, 14, 618-623, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1080/104732299302422
- Arcury, T. A., Quandt, S. A., Garcia, D. I., Preisser, J. S. Jr, Norton, D. and Rah, P. : A clinic-based, casecontrol comparison of green tobacco sickness among minority farmworkers: clues for prevention. Southern Medical Journal, 95(9), 1008-1011, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1097/00007611-200209000-00016
- Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) : Field Sanitation Standard. 29 CFR Part 1928.110. Washington, DC: Occupational Safety and Health Administration, U.S. Department of Labor, 1987.