- Volume 36 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Strategies for Protecting Waste Collectors' Health and Safety
환경미화원의 건강과 안전 보호를 위한 제안
Kim, Shin-bum;Ryu, Seung-Hun;Park, Dong-Uk;Lee, Yun-Keun
- Received : 2010.05.02
- Accepted : 2010.06.23
- Published : 2010.06.30
Recycling is a main issue in protection of the environment and waste collection and sorting have much higher value in current recycling policies than they did previously. Waste collectors, like firefighters and policemen, are working for the public benefit, however, waste collection is more dangerous than either police or firefighting work. In the USA, waste collectors are 10 times more likely than the average worker to die on the job. Waste collectors also suffer from musculoskeletal disorders, infectious diseases and various injuries. If we truly appreciate the worth of waste collectors, we need to improve their working environment and personal hygiene. Furthermore, abolishing discrimination will be a very important step towards greater protection for waste collectors.
waste collector;bioaerosol;infectious disease;privatization;hygiene
- National Human Rights Commission of Korea : Survey Report : Human Right in Privatized Waste Industry, 2006.
- Ministry of Environment : 2008 Waste Generation and Management in Korea, 2009.
- Rogers, H. : Gone Tomorrow : the hidden life of garbage, Seoul, Samin, 2009.
- Jonsson, P. O. : Trends in waste management in relation to increased recycling. Annals of Agricultural and Environmental Medicine, 4, 3-6, 1997.
- Woo, S. H. and Hong, S. P. : A study on the integrated management system of municipal solid waste from Seoul metropolitan city. Korean Journal of Environmental Health Society, 19(4), 51-58, 1993.
- HSE : Health hazards in the waste and recycling industry. www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/waste15.pdf. Accessed March 2010.
- Poulsen, O. M., Breum, N. O., Ebbehoj, N., Hansen, A. M., Ivens, U. I., van Lelieveld, D., Malmros, P., Matthiasen, L., Nielsen, B. H., Nielsen, E. M., Schibye, B., Skov, T., Stenbaeck, E. I. and Wilkins, C. K. : Sorting and recycling of domestic waste. Review of occupational health problems and their possible causes. Science of the Total Environment, 168, 33-56, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1016/0048-9697(95)04521-2
- Poulsen, O. M., Breum, N. O., Ebbehoj, N., Hansen, A. M., Ivens, U. I., van Lelieveld, D., Malmros, P., Matthiasen, L., Nielsen, B. H., Nielsen, E. M., Schibye, B., Skov, T., Stenbaeck, E. I. and Wilkins, C. K. : Collection of domestic waste. Review of occupational health problems and their possible causes. Science of the Total Environment, 170, 1-19, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1016/0048-9697(95)04524-5
- Marth, E., Reinthaler, F. F., Schaffler, K., Jelovcan, S., Haselbacher, S., Eibel, U. and Kleinhappl, B. : Occupational health risks to employees of waste treatment facilities. Annals of Agricultural and Environmental Medicine, 4, 143-147, 1997.
- Englehardt, J. D., Fleming, L. E., Bean, F. A., AN, H., John, N., Rogers, J. and Melissa, D. : Solid waste management health and safety risks: epidemiology and assessment to support risk reduction. www.floridacenter.org. Accessed March 2010.
- Nielsen, E. M., Nielsen, B. H. and Breum, N. O. : Occupational bioaerosol exposure during collection of household waste. Annals of Agricultural and Environmental Medicine, 2, 53-59, 1995.
- Kim, S. B. : Suggestions for promote personal sanitation status of waste collectors, Right to take shower, 2010.
- Poulsen, O. M., Breum, N. O., Ebbehoj, N., Hansen, A. M., Ivens, U. I., van Lelieveld, D., Malmros, P., Matthiasen, L., Nielsen, B. H. and Nielsen, E. M. : Collection of domestic waste. Review of occupational health problems and their possible causes. The Science of the Total Environment, 170(1-2), 1-19, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1016/0048-9697(95)04524-5
- Mehrdad, R., Majlessi-Nasr, M., Aminianl, O., Sharifian, S. A. and Malekahmadi, F. : Musculoskeletal disorders among municipal solid waste workers. Acta Medica Iranica, 46(3), 233-238, 2008.
- Myong, J. P., Lee, H. K., Kim, H. R., Jung, H. S., Jeong, E. H., Nam, W. and Koo, J. W. : Musculoskeletal symptoms of municipal sanitation workers and ergonomic evaluation on upperlimb. Korean Journal of Occupational and Environment Medicine, 20(2), 93-103, 2008.
- Frings-Dresen, M. H. W., Kemper, H. C. G., Stassen, A. R. A., Crolla, I. A. F. M. and Markslag, A. M. T. : The daily work load of refuse collectors working with three different collecting methods : a field study. Ergonomics, 38(10), 2045-2055, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1080/00140139508925249
- Health and Safety Laboratory : Manual handling in refuse collection, HSL/2002/21, 24-32, 70-75, 2002.
- Rushton, L. : Health hazards and waste management. British Medical Bulletin, 68, 189-197, 2003.
- Koda, S., Nakagiri, S., Yasuda, N., Toyota, M. and Ohara, H. : A follow up study of preventive effects on low back pain at worksites by providing a participatory occupational safety and health program. Industrial Health, 35(2), 243-248, 1997. https://doi.org/10.2486/indhealth.35.243
- US Department of Labor : Current Population Survey, Census of Fatal Occupational Injuries, 2005.
- National Commission of Inquiry into the Worker Health and Safety Crisis in the Solid Waste Industry : In Harm's Way, 2008.
- Ilario, E. : Estudo da morbidade em coletores de lixo em um grande centro urbano. Revista brasileira de sade ocupacional, 17, 7-13, 1989.
- Robazzi, M. L. : Garbage collectors: occupational accidents and coefficients of frequency and severity per accident. Annals of Agricultural and Environmental Medicine, 4, 91-96, 1997.
- Ivens, U. I., Lassen, J. H., Kaltoft, B. S. and Skov, T. : Injuries among domestic waste collectors. American Journal of Industrial Medicine, 33, 182-189, 1988.
- Malmros, P. : Occupational health problems associated with increased recycling of household waste. Annals of Agricultural and Environmental Medicine, 4, 7-9, 1997.
- Midtgard, U. and Poulsen, O. M. : Occupational safety and health in waste collection and recycling : The CORE research program. Annals of Agricultural and Environmental Medicine, 4, 21-26, 1997.
- Kim, S. H. : Problems in outsourcing of waste collection in local government. Federation of Korean Trade Unions, 2005.
- Lavoie, J. and Dunkerley, C. J. : Assessing waste collectors' exposure to bioaerosols. Aerobiologia, 18, 277-285, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1021381826042
- A Study on Types of Municipal Sanitation Workers' Occupational Accident by Work Type vol.20, pp.2, 2011, https://doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2011.20.2.172
- The oral health awareness and behavior of sanitation workers in Jeonju vol.13, pp.6, 2013, https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2013.13.06.1005
- Workplace Accidents and Work-related Illnesses of Household Waste Collectors vol.7, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.shaw.2015.11.008
- Occupational Injuries and Deaths in Domestic Waste Collecting Process vol.26, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1002/hfm.20680
- Occupational deaths and injuries by the types of street cleaning process vol.23, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1080/10803548.2016.1199500