- Volume 36 Issue 4
Agricultural workers are often exposed to high levels of dust during field operations. A systematic exposure assessment of annual task-weighted exposure has not been thoroughly examined. The occupational dust exposure in two wine grape vineyards was measured. Exposure levels to total and respirable dust were determined for a 1-year cycle of work. An operation profile including the frequency of tasks was established. The means of total and respirable dust exposure were
agriculture;cumulative exposure;occupational exposure;agricultural task
- Su, W. H. : Dust and atmospheric aerosol. Resources, Conservation and Recycling, 16, 1-14, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1016/0921-3449(95)00045-3
- Smith, J. L. and Lee, K. : Soil as a source of dust and implications for human health. Advances in Agronomy, 80, 1-32, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0065-2113(03)80001-9
- Schenker, M. : Exposures and health effects from inorganic agricultural dusts. Environmental Health Perspectives, 108, 661-664, 2000. https://doi.org/10.2307/3454402
- Schenker, M. B., Christiani, D., Cormier, Y., Dimich-Ward, H., Doekes, G., Dosman, J., Douwes, J., Dowling, K., Enarson, D., Green, F., Heederik, D., Husman, K., Kennedy, S., Kullman, G., Lacasse, Y., Lawson, B., Malmberg, P., May, J., McCurdy, S., Merchant, J., Myers, J., Nieuwenhuijsen, M., Olenchock, S., Saiki, C., Schwartz, D., Seiber, J., Thorne, P., Wagner, G., White, N., Xu, X. P., Chan- Yeung, M. and Hlth, A. E. O. : Respiratory health hazards in agriculture. American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, 158, S1-S76, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1164/ajrccm.158.supplement_1.rccm1585s1
- Popendorf, W. J. : Mineral dust in manual harvest operations. In: Agricultural Respiratory Hazards (Kelley, W. D., ed). American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists: Cincinnati, Ohio, 101-116, 1982.
- Lee, K., Lawson, R. J., Olenchock, S. A., Vallyathan, V., Southard, R. J., Thorne, P. S., Saiki, C. and Schenker, M. B. : Personal exposures to inorganic and organic dust in manual harvest of California citrus and table grapes. Journal of Occupational and Environmental Hygiene, 1, 505-514, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1080/15459620490471616
- Gamsky, T. E., Mccurdy, S. A., Samuels, S. J. and Schenker, M. B. : Reduced FVC among California grape workers. American Review of Respiratory Disease, 145, 257-262, 1992. https://doi.org/10.1164/ajrccm/145.2_Pt_1.257
- Rajini, P., Last, J. A., Mccurdy, S. A., Lawson, R., Southard, R. J., Allamneni, K. P. and Witschi, H. : Lung injury and fibrogenic response to dusts from citrus and grape harvests. Inhalation Toxicology, 7, 363-376, 1995. https://doi.org/10.3109/08958379509029708
- Molocznik, A. and Zagorski, J. : Exposure of farmers to dust on private farms of various production profiles Annals of Agriculture and Environmental Medicine, 8, 151-161 2001.
- Wu, J. D., Nieuwenhuijsen, M. J., Samuels, S. J., Lee, K. and Schenker, M. B. : Identification of agricultural tasks important to cumulative exposures to inhalable and respirable dust in California. American Industrial Hygiene Association Journal, 64, 830-836, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1080/15428110308984879
- Clausnitzer, H. and Singer, M. J. : Environmental influences on respirable dust production from agricultural operations in California. Atmospheric Environment, 34, 1739-1745, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1352-2310(99)00385-4