- Volume 36 Issue 4
The appearance of Asian Dust (AD) originating from China and Mongolia during spring each year is a meteorological phenomenon periodically observed in extensive regions of East Asia. According to a previous epidemiological study, AD has adverse effects on both human beings and ecosystems. In this study, we collected total suspension particles (TSP) in the AD period and Non-AD (NAD) period. We extracted organic components from TSP using dichloromethane (DCM), and the polyaromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) were analyzed. The DCM extracts contained PAHs such as benzo(b)fluoranthene, benzo[g,h,i]perylene, benzo(k)fluoranthene, benzo(a)pyrene, and pyrene. No significant difference was observed in cytotoxicity of the DCM extracts from AD versus NAD when tested on the human bronchial epithelial cells, BEAS-2B. e also examined the toxic mechanisms of AD extracts in cultured BEAS-2B cells and RAW264.7 cells, and in BEAS-2B cells observed increased levels of reactive oxygen species (ROS), decreased glutathione (GSH), and induced caspase-3 activity. Increased expression of oxidative stress-related and inflammation- related genes were also observed in BEAS-2B cells, while nitric oxide (NO) levels were increased in RAW264.7 cells. Taken together, the results suggest that in these cultured cells, AD may induce cytotoxicity through oxidative stress and pro-inflammatory signals.
- KME (Ministry of Environment Republic Korea), 2002. http://w.me.go.kr Annual Report of Ambient Air Quality in Korea. 11-1480000-000532-10.
- Lee, B. K., Lee, H. K. and Jun, N. Y. : Analysis of regional and temporal characteristics of PM10 during an Asian dust episode in Korea. Chemosphere, 63, 1106-1115, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chemosphere.2005.09.001
- Park, E. J., Kim, D. S. and Park, K. : Monitoring of ambient particles and heavy metals in a residential area of Seoul, Korea. Environmental Monitoring and Assessment, 137(1-3), 441-449, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10661-007-9779-y
- Kim, K. H. and Kim, M. Y. : The effects of Asian Dust on particulate matter fractionation in Seoul, Korea during spring 2001. Chemosphere, 51, 707-721, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0045-6535(03)00036-5
- KEI (Korea Environment Institute), http://sdocu.synap.co.kr/preview/view.php?seq=1021069
- Kwon, H. J., Cho, S. H., Chun, Y. S., Lagarde, F. and Pershagen, G. : Effects of the Asian dust events on daily Mortality in Seoul, Korea. Environmental Research, 90(1), 1-5, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1006/enrs.2002.4377
- Lee, J. T., Son, J. Y. and Cho, Y. S. : A comparison of mortality related to urban air particles between periods with Asian dust days and without Asian dust days in Seoul, Korea, 2000-2004. Environmental Research, 105(3), 409-413, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envres.2007.06.004
- Lauer, F. T., Mitchell, L. A., Bedrick, E., McDonald, J. D., Lee, W. Y., Li, W. W., Olvera, H., Amaya, M. A., Berwick, M., Gonzales, M., Currey, R., Pingitore, N. E., Jr. and Burchiel, S. W. : Temporal-spatial analysis of U.S.-Mexco border environmental fine and coarse PM air sample extract activity in human bronchial epithelial cells. Toxicology and Applied Pharmacology, 238(1), 1-10, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.taap.2009.04.021
- Lin, C. C., Chen, S. J., Huang, K. L., Lee, W. J., Lin, W. Y., Tsai, J. H. and Chaung, H. C. : PAHs, PAH-induced carcinogenic potency, and particleextract-induced cytotoxicity of traffic-related nano/ultrafine particles. Environmental Science & Technology, 42(11), 4229-4235, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1021/es703107w
- http://www.epa.gov/glnpo/lmmb/methods/gcms5.2.PDF, 1995. Standard operating procedure for the analysis of PAHs and Atrazine by GC/Ion Trap MS. SOP# CH-IN-003.1
- Park, E. J. and Park, K. : Gene expression profiles of cultures rat cardiomyocytes (H9C2) in response to arsenic trioxide at subcytotoxic level and oxidative stress, Journal of Health Science, 52(5), 512-521, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1248/jhs.52.512
- Park, E. J. and Park, K. : Induction of reactive oxygen species and apoptosis in BEAS-2B cells by mercuric chloride. Toxicology in Vitro, 21(5), 789-794, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tiv.2007.01.019
- Park, E. J., Choi, J., Park, Y. K. and Park, K. : Oxidative stress induced by cerium oxide nanoparticles in cultured BEAS-2B cells. Toxicology, 245(1-2), 90-100, 2009.
- Park, E. J., Yi, J., Kim, Y., Choi, K. and Park, K. : Silver nanoparticles induce cytotoxicity by a Trojan- horse type mechanism. Toxicology in Vitro, 24(3), 872-878, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tiv.2009.12.001
- Kwon, H., Cho, S. H., Chun, Y., Lagarde, F. and Pershagen, G. : Effects of the Asian dust events on daily mortality in Seoul, Korea. Environmental Research, A90, 1-5, 2002.
- Lee, J. T., Son, J. Y. and Cho, Y. S. : A comparison of mortality related to urban air particles between periods with Asian dust days and without Asian dust days in Seoul, Korea, 2000-2004. Environmental Research, 105, 409-413, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envres.2007.06.004
- Chen, Y., Sheen, P., Chen, E., Liu, Y., Wu, T., and Yang, C. : Effects of Asian dust storm events on daily mortality in Taipei, Taiwan. Environmental Research, 95, 151-155, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envres.2003.08.008
- MacNee, W. and Donaldson, K. : Mechanism of lung injury caused by PM10 and ultrafine particles with special reference to COPD. The European Respiratory Journal Supplement, 40, 47s-51s, 2003.
- Oberdorster, G. : Significance of particle parameters in the evaluation of exposure-dose-response relationships of inhaled particles. Inhalation Toxicology, 8, 73-89, 1996.
- Kampa, M. and Castanas, E. : Human health effects of air pollution. Environmental Pollution, 151(2), 362-367, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envpol.2007.06.012
- Li, N., Sioutas, C., Cho, A., Schmitz, D., Misra, C., Sempf, J., Wang, M., Oberley, T., Froines, J. and Nel, A. : Ultrafine particulate pollutants induce oxidative stress and mitochondrial damage. Environmental Health Perspectives, 111(4), 455-460, 2003.
- Pei, X. H., Nakanishi, Y., Inoue, H., Takayama, K., Bai, F. and Hara, N. : Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons induce IL-8 expression through nuclear factor kappaB activation in A549 cell line. Cytokine, 19(5), 236-241, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1043-4666(02)91967-8
- Lei, Y. C., Chan, C. C., Wang, P. Y., Lee, C. T. and Cheng, T. J. : Effects of Asian dust event particles on inflammation markers in peripheral blood and bronchoalveolar lavage in pulmonary hypertensive rats. Environmental Research, 95(1), 71-76, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0013-9351(03)00136-1
- Baggiolini, M. : Chemokines in pathology and medicine. Journal of Internal Medicine, 250(2), 91-104, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2796.2001.00867.x
- Mukaida, N. : Interleukin-8: an expanding universe beyond neutrophil chemotaxis and activation. International Journal of Hematology, 72(4), 391-398, 2000.
- Rodin, S. N. and Rodin, A. S. : Origins and selection of p53 mutations in lung carcinogenesis. Seminars in Cancer Biology, 15(2), 103-112, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.semcancer.2004.08.005
- Pavanello, S., Pesatori, A. C., Dioni, L., Hoxha, M., Bollati, V., Siwinska, E., Mielzynska, D., Bolognesi, C., Bertazzi, P. A. and Baccarelli, A. : Shorter teolmere length in peripheral blood lymphocytes of workers exposed to polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons. Carcinognensis, 31(2), 216-221, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1093/carcin/bgp278
- KMA (Korea meteorological administration), http://www.kma.go.kr/dust/dust_03_04.jsp
- Tamamura, S., Sato, T., Ota, Y., Wang, X., Tang, N. and Hayakawa, K. : Long-range transport of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbones(PAHs) from the eastern Asian continent to Kanazawa, Japan with Asian dust. Atmospheric Environment, 41, 2580-2593, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.atmosenv.2006.11.021
- Park, E. J., Kim, D. S. and Park, K. : Monitoring of the distribution of ambient air particles in Seoul using a cascade impactor and the particle toxicity, Environmental Health & Toxicology, 25(2), 99-109, 2010.