- Volume 36 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
A Study of the Histological Effects of Garlic Extract in a Liver-damage Rat Model
마늘 추출물이 간 손상 랫드의 조직학적 변화에 미치는 효과 연구
- Received : 2010.06.21
- Accepted : 2010.08.12
- Published : 2010.08.30
In this study we examined the effects of water extract of garlic on carbon tetrachloride-induced liver injury, and demonstrated increased beneficial enzyme and anti-oxidant activity as well as histopathological changes (by Hematoxylin-Eosin (H&E) staining, Trichrome staining, and TEM examination), and showed that the treatment was dose-dependent and safe. A total of 42 male Sprague-Dawley rats were divided equally (n=7) into six groups. To induce hepatotoxicity in these subjects, carbon tetrachloride diluted in an equal volume of olive oil was intraperitoneally administrated at 0.5 ml/kg (0.20 g/kg/day) once a day for five days. Water extract of Korean-grown garlic was administered via a stomach sonde once a day, 5 days a week, for a total of 4 weeks. Groups received 0.35 g/kg (E1), 0.70 g/kg (E2), or 1.40 g/kg (E3), with the dose adjusted for body weight. Administration of garlic extract resulted in positive physiological effects in terms of reduced oxidative stress and toxicity, and induced functional changes in the liver. Comparing the subject groups (E1, E2, E3) administered different doses of garlic extract, the importance of morphological analysis in further studies is emphasized, because morphological changes indicating hepatotoxicity could occur, even though beneficial enzyme activities were found to be elevated.
- Kim, J. G. and Park, J. Y. : Inhibitory effect of garlic on the growth of aspergillus parasiticus. Korean Journal of Environmental Health, 35(2), 95-99, 2009. https://doi.org/10.5668/JEHS.2009.35.2.095
- Gorinstein, S., Leontowicz, H., Leontowicz, M. and Drzewiecki, J. : Raw and boiled garlic enhances plasma lipid metabolism in cholesterol-fed rats. Life Sciences, 78, 655-663, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lfs.2005.05.069
- Nasim, S. A., Dhir, B., Samar, F., Rashmi, K., Mahmooduzzafar, K. and Mujib, A. : Sulphur treatment alters the therapeutic potency of alliin obtained from garlic leaf extract. Food and Chemical Toxicology, 47, 888-892, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fct.2009.01.024
- Kamanna, V. S. and Chandrasekhara, N. : Hypocholesteremic activity of different fractions of garlic. Indian Journal of Medical Research, 79, 580-583, 1984.
- Chetty, K. N., Calahan, L., Harris, K., Dorsey, C., Hill, W., Chetty, D. S. and Jain, S. K. : Garlic attenuates hypercholesterolemic risk factors in olive oil fed rats and high cholesterol fed rats. Pathophysiology, 9, 127-132, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0928-4680(03)00002-6
- Samaranayake, M. D. P., Angunawela, S. M. D., Jayasekera, S., Iwai, S. and Fukushima, S. : Inhibition of chemically induced live carcinogenesis in Wistar rats by garlic (Allium sativum). Phytotherapy Research, 14, 564-567, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1002/1099-1573(200011)14:7<564::AID-PTR664>3.0.CO;2-Z
- Sparnins, V. L., Barany, G. and Wattenberg, L. W. : Effect of organosulfur compounds from garlic and onions on benzopyrene induced neoplasia and GST activity in the mouse. Carcinogenesis, 9, 131-134, 2000.
- Hussain, S. P., Jannu, L. N. and Rao, A. R. : Chemopreventive action of garlic on methylcholanthrene induced carcinogenesis in the uterine cervix of mice. Cancer Letters, 49, 175-180, 1990. https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-3835(90)90155-Q
- Dorant, E., van den Brandt, P. A., Goldbohm, R. A., Hermus, R. J. J. and Sturmans, F. : Garlic and its significance for the prevention of cancer in humans: a critical view. Breast Journal of Cancer, 67, 424-429, 1993.
- Hu, J. J., Yoo, J. S., Lim, M., Wang, E. J. and Yang, C. S. : Protective effects of diallyl sulfide on acetaminophen-induced toxicities. Food and Chemcal Toxicology, 34, 963-969, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0278-6915(96)00057-9
- Vimal, V. and Devaki, T. : Hepatoprotective effect of allicin on tissue defensesystem in galactosamine/endotoxin challenged rats. Journal of Ethnopharmacology, 90, 151-154, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2003.09.027
- Robbins, B. : The absorption, distribution and excretion of carbon tetrachloride in dogs under various conditions. Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, 37, 203-216, 1997.
- Louria, D. B. and Bogden, J. D. : The dangers from limited exposure to carbon tetrachloride. Critical Reviews of Toxicolgy, 7, 177-188, 1980. https://doi.org/10.3109/10408448009037488
- Dong, Z., Saikumar, P., Weinberg, J. M. and Venkatachalam, M. A. : Internucleosomal DNA cleavage triggered by plasma membrane damage during necrotic cell death. Involvement of serine but not cysteine protease. American Journal of Pathology, 151, 1205-1213, 1997.
- Ferenci, P., Dragosics, B., Dittrich, H., Benda, H., Lochs, L., Base, S. and Scheider, W. : Randomized controlled trial of silymarin treatment in patients whit cirrhosis of the liver. Journal of Pathology, 9, 105-113, 1999.
- Stripe, F. and Della, C. E. : The regulation of rat liver xanthine oxidase. Conversion in vitro of the enzyme activity from dehydrogenase(type D) oxidase(type O). Journal of Biological Chemistry, 244(14), 3855-3863, 1969.
- Martin, J. P., Dailey, M. and Sugarman, E. : Negative and positive assays of superoxide dismutase based on hematoxylin autoxidation. Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics, 255, 329-336, 1987. https://doi.org/10.1016/0003-9861(87)90400-0
- Aebi, H. : Catalase in vitro. Methods in Enzymology, 105, 121-126, 1984. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0076-6879(84)05016-3
- Ohkawa, H., Ohishi, N. and Yagi, K. : Assay for lipid peroxides in animal tissues by thiobarbituric acid reaction. Analytical Biochemistry, 95, 351-358, 1979. https://doi.org/10.1016/0003-2697(79)90738-3
- Masson, P. : Carcinoids (Argentaffin-cell tumors) and nerve hyperplasia of the appendicular mucosa. America. Journal Pathology, 4(3), 181-211, 1928.
- Luft, J. H. and John, H. : Improvement in epoxy resin embedding method. Journal of Biophysical and Biochemical Cytology, 9, 409-414, 1961. https://doi.org/10.1083/jcb.9.2.409
- Hiroshi, S., Yasuhide, M., Masuko, M. and Tojiro, T. : Effects of some vegetable extracts on the growth of human cell lines measured by WST-1 assay. Nippon Shokuhin Kogaku Kaishi, 43, 64-65, 1996. https://doi.org/10.3136/nskkk.43.64
- Park, K. and Choi, H. : Modification of hepatic microsomal cytochrome P450 2E1 enzyme by garlic powder in rat hepatocarcinogenesis. Journal of Biochemical Molecular Biology, 30, 73-79, 1997.
- Sheen, L. Y., Wu, C. C., Lii, C. K. and Tsai, S. J. : Effect of diallyl sulfide and diallyl disulfide, the active principles of garlic, on the aflatoxin B1-induced DNA damage in primary rat hepatocytes. Toxicology Letters, 122, 45-52, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-4274(01)00347-2
- Gedik, N., Kabasakal, L., Sehirli, O., Ercan, F., Sirvanci, S., Keyer-Uysal, M. and Sener, G. : Long-term administration of aqueous garlic extract(AGE) alleviates liver fibrosis and oxidative damage induced by biliary obstruction in rats. Life Sciences, 76, 2593-2606, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lfs.2004.11.021
- Anthony, P. P., Ishak, K. G. and Nayak. N. C. : The morphology of cirrhosis. Journal of Clinical Pathology, 31, 395-401, 1977.
- Kim, S. K., Seo, J. M., Chae, Y. R., Jung, Y. S., Park, J. H. and Kim, Y. C. : Alleviation of dimethylnitrosamine-induced liver injury and fibrosis betaine supplementation in rats. Chemico-Biological Interactions, 177, 204-211, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cbi.2008.09.021
- Joseph, G., vanden Rao, K R., Stern, R. and Chandrakasan, G. : Dimethylnitrosamine-induced liver injury in rats: the early deposition of collagen. Toxicology, 156, 129-138, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0300-483X(00)00352-8
- Sato, M., Kakubari, M., Kawamura, M., Sugimoto, J., Sugimoto, K., Matsumoto, L. and Ishii, T. : The decrease in total collagen fibers in the liver by hepatocyte growth factor after formation of cirrhosis induced by thioacetamide. Biochemical Pharmacology, 59, 681-690, 2005.
- Wake, K. : Perisinusoidal stellate cells in the liver. Hepatology Rapid Little Reviews, 1, 11-16, 1995.
- Bioulac-Sage, P. and Balabauo, C. : Proliferation and phenotypic expression of perisinusoidal cells. Journal of Hepatology, 15, 284-287, 1992. https://doi.org/10.1016/0168-8278(92)90057-V
- Venkatesh, S., Reddy, G. D., Reddy, B., Reddy, M., Reddy, M. and Appa RaoA, V. A. : Antihyperglycemic activity of Caralluma attenuata. Fitoterapia, 74, 247-279, 2009.
- Reynolds, E. S. : The use of lead citrate at high pH as electron opaque stain in electron microscopy. Journal of Cell Biology, 17, 208-212, 1963. https://doi.org/10.1083/jcb.17.1.208
- Amdur, M. O., Dodll, J., Klaassen, C. D. and Doulls, J. : Toxicology, New York: Pergamon press, 1991.
- Schmitt-Graff, A., Kruger, S., Bochard, F., Bochard, Gabbiani, G. and Denk, H. : Modulation of alpha smooth muscle actin and desmin expression in perisinusoidal cells of normal and diseased human livers. American Journal of Pathology, 138, 1233-1242, 1991.