- Volume 10 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Sub-Synchronous Range of Operation for a Wind Driven Double-Fed Induction Generator
- Saleh, Mahmoud Abdel Halim (Power Electronics & Energy Conversion Dept., Electronics Research Institute) ;
- Eskander, Mona Naguib (Power Electronics & Energy Conversion Dept., Electronics Research Institute)
- Published : 2010.01.20
In this paper the operation of a double-fed wound-rotor induction machine, coupled to a wind turbine, as a generator at sub-synchronous speeds is investigated. A novel approach is used in the analysis, namely, the rotor power flow approach. The conditions necessary for operating the machine as a double-fed induction generator (DFIG) are deduced. Formulae describing the factors affecting the range of sub-synchronous speeds within which generation occurs are deduced. The variations in the magnitude and phase angle of the voltage injected to the rotor circuit as the speed of the machine changes to achieve generation at the widest possible sub-synchronous speed range is presented. Also, the effect of the rotor parameters on the generation range is presented. The analysis proved that the generation range could increase from sub-synchronous to super-synchronous speeds, which increases the amount of energy captured by the wind energy conversion system (WECS) as result of utilizing the power available in the wind at low wind speeds.
- Thresher R, Robinson M, and Veers P, "The Capture of Wind", IEEE on Power and Energy, Vol. 5, No. 6, pp. 34 -46, Nov./Dec. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/MPE.2007.906304
- "World Wind Energy Report 2008", World Wind Energy Association, Feb. 2009.
- Wu Dingguo, Wang Zhixin, "Modeling and Design of Control System for Variable Speed Wind Turbine in All Operating Region," WSEAS Transactions on Circuits and Systems, pp. 438-443, May 2008.
- Badrul H. Chowdhury , Srinivas Chellapilla, "Double-fed induction generator control for variable speed wind power generation," Electric Power Systems Research, Vol. 76 , pp. 786–800, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.epsr.2005.10.013
- Hofmann, W.; Okafor, F., "Doubly-Fed Full-Controlled Induction Wind Generator for Optimal Power Utilisation," Proceedings of PEDS Conference, pp. 1-6, 2001.
- Saleh, M.A., Issawi A.M., and Iskander M.N., "Double Excited Induction Generators Operating with WECS," Proceedings of The International Conference on Electrical Machines, Lausanne, Switzerland, 18-21, Pt. 3, pp. 1064-1067, Sep. 1984.
- Mona N. Eskander, Mahmoud A.Saleh, Mohsen T El-Hagry, "Performance of Double Fed Induction Machine at Sub- and Super-Synchronous Speed in Wind Energy Conversion System" Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 9, No.4., pp. 575-581, Jul. 2009.
- E.H.Lyson, "Introduction to Wind Energy," CWD Consultancy Services Wind Energy Developing Countries, The Netherlands, May 1983.
- Comparing the Quality of Power Generated from DFIG with Different Types of Rotor Converters vol.04, pp.01, 2012, https://doi.org/10.4236/jemaa.2012.41004
- Dynamic modeling and robust power control of DFIG driven by wind turbine at infinite grid vol.44, pp.1, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijepes.2011.06.038