- Volume 5 Issue 1
This paper examines the long-run social welfare maximization problems facing public utilities, which includes consideration of the cost of capital or other fixed costs of production, from which it derives optimal investment decisions in a reliability differentiated pricing based market. Reliability differentiated pricing policies lead to straightforward mathematical results on optimal investment decisions in generation and transmission expansion planning. This paper presents the mathematical conditions for optimal investment decisions.
- M. Munasinghe and A. Sanghvi, "Reliability of Electricity Supply, Outage Costs and Value of Service: An Overview," The Energy Journal, Vol.9, pp.1-18, 1988.
- A. Sanghvi, "Economic Costs of Electricity Supply Interruptions: US and Foreign Experience," Energy Economics 4 (3), pp.180-198, 1982. https://doi.org/10.1016/0140-9883(82)90017-2
- A. Sanghvi, "Household Welfare Loss Due to Electricity Supply Disruptions," The Energy Journal, Vol.4, Special Electricity Issue, pp.33-54, 1983.
- S. N. Siddiqi and M. L. Baughman, "Reliability Differentiated Real-Time Pricing of Electricity," Paper 92-WM-115-6, IEEE 1992 Winter Power Meeting, New York, NY, January 26-30, 1992.
- S. N. Siddiqi and M. L. Baughman, "Optimal Pricing of Non-Utility Generated Electric Power," Paper 93-WM-149-5, IEEE 1993 Winter Power Meeting, Columbus, OH, January 31 - February 5, 1993.
- W. Vickery, "Responsive Pricing and Public Utilities," Bell Journal of Economics and Management Sciences, Vol.2, No.1, 1971.
- C. K. Woo and N. Toyama, "Service Reliability and the Optimal Interruptible Rate Option in Residential Electricity Pricing," Energy Journal, 7:3, 1986.
- C. K. Woo and K. Train, "The Cost of Electric Power Interruptions to Commercial Firms," The Energy Journal, Vol.9, pp. 161-172, 1988.
- D. W. Caves, J. A. Herriges, and R. J. Windle, "Customer Demand for Service Reliability, A Synthesis of the Outage Costs Literature," EPRI Report P-2801, September 1989.
- H. P. Chao, S. Oren, S. Smith, and R. Wilson, "Service Design in Electric Power Industry," Report P-6543, Electrical Power Research Institute, 1990.
- H. P. Chao and R. Wilson, "Priority Service: Pricing, Investment, and Market Organization," American Economic Review, 77: 899-916, 1987.