- Volume 59 Issue 2
This paper presents a frequency synthesizer using low voltage active inductor VCO(Voltage Controlled Oscillator). The low voltage active inductor VCO with feedback resistor increases its equivalent inductance and the quality-factor(Q). Under certain conditions, the low voltage active inductor with feedback resistor generates a negative resistance at the input. In this paper, the conditions for negative resistance are obtained by small signal analysis. The designed low voltage active inductor VCO covers a frequency band between 1059MHz and 1223MHz. The measured phase noise at 1.178GHz is -81.8dBc/Hz at 1MHz offset.
Frequency Synthesizer;Active Inductor;VCO
- L. Dai and R. Harjani, "Design of low-phase-noise CMOS ring oscillator," IEEE Trans. Circuit Syst.II, vol. 49, no. 5, pp.328-338, May 2002. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCSII.2002.801409
- 유태근, 홍석용, 정항근, "A low-voltage active CMOS inductor with high quality factor," 대한전자공학회 SD편, vol. 45, pp. 125-129, Feb. 2009.
- Ismail M., Wassenaar R., and Morrison W., "A high speed continuous-time bandpass VHF filter in MOST e-chnology," Proc. IEEE ISCAS, Vol. 3, pp. 1761-1764, 1991.
- Francesco Svelto, and Rinaldo Castello, "A bond-wire inductor MOS varactor VCO tunable from 1.8 to 2.4 GHz," IEEE Transactions on Micorwave Theory and Technique, vol. 50, pp. 403-410, Jan. 2002. https://doi.org/10.1109/22.981292
- Grzegorz Szczepkowski, Gerard Baldwin, and Ronan Farrell, "Wideband 0.18um CMOS VCO using active inductor with negative resistance," Proceeding of ECCTD, pp. 990-993, Aug. 2007.
- S. Hara, T. Tokumitsu, T. Tanaka, and M. Aikawa, "Broad-band monolithic microwave active inductor and its application to miniaturized wide-band amplifier amplifier," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., vol. 36, pp.1920-1924, Dec. 1988. https://doi.org/10.1109/22.17434