- Volume 39 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Health-Related Behaviors and Nutrient Intake of Police Officers Based on the Level of Job Stress
일부 지역 경찰공무원의 직무스트레스 정도에 따른 건강관련 형태 및 영양소 섭취량에 관한 연구
- Joo, Hye-Eun (Nutrition Education, Graduate School of Education, Wonkwang University) ;
- Sohn, Cheong-Min (Food and Nutrition, Wonkwang University)
- Published : 2010.04.30
The purpose of the study was to examine health-related behaviors and nutrient intake in relation to job stress level of police officers. Total of 166 police officers working in Jeonbuk area participated in the study. The study was conducted from February to March, 2009. Subjects were given self-administered questionnaire on their general health status, dietary and health-related habits. Nutrient intake was assessed by semi-quantitative food frequency questionnaire. Subjects were divided into four groups (very low, low, high, very high) by their job stress level scores. Main concerns of job stress were from 'job demand', 'organizational system' and 'lack of reward'. More than 95% of the subjects were confident of their health status. Health habits, such as drinking, smoking and exercising, were better than that of average Korean men. There were significant differences in dietary habits in relation to job stress level. Lower job stress group showed lower rate of skipping breakfast (p<0.01), more affordable meal time (p<0.05) and better snacking habits (p<0.001). Sweet food preference was higher in lower job stress group (p<0.05). The average calorie intake was
- Chang SJ, Koh SB, Kang MG, Cha BS, Park JK, Hyun SJ, Park JH, Kim SA, Kang DM, Chang SS, Lee KJ, Ha EH, Ha M, Woo JM, Cho JJ, Kim HS, Park JS. 2005. Epidemiology of psychosocial distress in Korean employee.Korean J Prev Med 38: 25-37.
- Kang MG, Koh SB, Cha BS, Park JK, Baik SK, Chang SJ.2004. Job stress and cardiovascular risk factors in male workers. Prev Med 40: 583-588. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ypmed.2004.07.018
- Koh SB, Son MA, Kong JO, Lee CG, Chang SJ, Cha BS. 2003. Job characteristics and psychological distress of atypical workers. Korean J Occup Environ Med 16:103-113.
- Yang SD. 2004. A study on the stress of the police officer. MS Thesis. Dongguk University, Seoul, Korea. p 95-104.
- Lee DJ. 2004. An empirical study on the relations of job stressor and morale of the police officer. PhD Dissertation. Dankook University, Seoul, Korea. p 132-135.
- Kim G. 2005. A study on the effect of job stress on job satisfaction and organizational commitment in police officers:focused on policeman of police operation center. Korean Soc and Pub Admin 16: 59-87.
- Seo MJ. 1994. Adult Nursing. Soo moon Press, Seoul, Korea. p 174-180.
- Heatherton TF, Herman CP, Polivy J. 1991. Effect of physical threat and ego threat on eating behaviors. J Pers Soc Psychol 60: 138-143. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-3522.214.171.124
- Laitinen J, Ek E, Sovio U. 2002. Stress-related eating and drinking behavior and body mass index and predictors of this behavior. Prev Med 34: 29-39. https://doi.org/10.1006/pmed.2001.0948
- Ng DM, Jeffery RW. 2003. Relationships between perceived stress and health behaviors in a sample of working adults.Health Psychol 22: 638-642. https://doi.org/10.1037/0278-6126.96.36.1998
- Kouvonen A, Kivimaki M, Cox SJ, Cox T, Vahtera J. 2005. Relationship between work stress and body mass index among 45,810 female and male employee. Psychosomatic Med 67: 577-583. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.psy.0000170330.08704.62
- Park SH. 2005. Analysis of dietary habits and health-related behavior according to stress level and age of women. MS Thesis. Changwon National University, Changwon, Korea. p 25-28.
- Song EJ. 2005. An assessment on the dietary attitudes, stress level and nutrient intakes by food record of food and nutrition major female university students. MS Thesis. Changwon National University, Changwon, Korea. p 31.
- Oh JK. 2000. Structural modeling of stress, life style and health status in industrial employees. Korean J Occup Environ Med 12: 27-40.
- Chang SJ, Koh SB, Kang DM, Kim SA, Kang MG, Lee CG, Chung JJ, Cho J, Son M, Chae CH, Kim JW. 2005. Developing an occupational stress scale for Korean employees. Korean J Occup Environ Med 17: 297-317.
- Ahn Y, Lee JE, Cho NH, Shin C, Park C, Oh BS, Kim KC. 2004. Validation and calibration of semi-quantitative food frequency questionnaire. Korean J Comm Nutr 9: 173-182.
- Kim BS. 1994. Stress of police officers and psychological burnout. Korean Pub Admin J 3: 147-169.
- Kim HK, Kim JH. 2009. Relationship between stress and eating habits of adults in Ulsan. Korean J Nutr 42: 536-546. https://doi.org/10.4163/kjn.2009.42.6.536
- Sung MJ, Chang KJ. 2007. Correlations among life stress, sleep, anthropometric measurement and nutrient intakes of college students. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 36: 840-848. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2007.36.7.840
- Lee JK. 2008. 2007 Statistics of National Health. Korea Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Seoul, Korea.
- Han JH. 2000. Breakfast to start your day. Nutrition and Dietetics 221: 24-27
- Sung MJ, Chang KJ. 2006. Correlations among life stress,dietary behaviors and food choice of college students. JEast Asian Soc Dietary Life 16: 655-662.
- Kim JG, Kim JM, Choi MK. 2003. A study on the stress and dietary life of office workers in Seoul. Korean J SocFood Cookery Sci 19: 413-422.
- Jun YS, Choi MK. 2004. Effect of academic examination stress on taste perception and nutrient intake in university students. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 33: 349-355. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2004.33.2.349
- Ministry of Health & Welfare. 2006. 2005 National Health and Nutrition Survey.
- Kim KH. 2000. The relation between life stress and nutrient intake status in female university students. Korean J Dietary Culture 15: 387-397.
- Yoon HS. 2006. An assessment on the dietary attitudes, stress level and nutrient intakes by food record of food and nutrition major female university students. Korean J Nutr39: 145-159.
- Kim YO. 2003. Food and nutrient consumption patterns ofKorean adults based on their levels of self reported stress.Korean J Comm Nutr 8: 340-348.
- Walton KG, Pugh ND, Gelderloos P, Macrae P. 1995. Stress reduction and preventing hypertension: preliminary support for a psychoneuroendocrine mechanism. J Altern Complement Med 1: 263-283. https://doi.org/10.1089/acm.1995.1.263