- Volume 39 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Differences Between Analyzed and Estimated Sodium Contents of Food Composition Table or Food Exchange List
나트륨 실측치와 식품교환표 및 식품성분표를 이용한 추정치의 비교
- Kwon, Yong-Ju (Dept. of Food and Nutrition, Hanyang University) ;
- Rhee, Moo-Yong (Cardiovascular Center, Dongguk University International Hospital) ;
- Kim, Jee-Young (Nutrition Policy Division, Korea Food & Drug Administration) ;
- Kwon, Kwang-Il (Nutrition Policy Division, Korea Food & Drug Administration) ;
- Kim, So-Jin (Nutrition Policy Division, Korea Food & Drug Administration) ;
- Shin, Hee-Jun (Nutrition Policy Division, Korea Food & Drug Administration) ;
- Park, Seong-Soo (Nutrition Policy Division, Korea Food & Drug Administration) ;
- Lee, Eun-Ju (Nutrition Policy Division, Korea Food & Drug Administration) ;
- Park, Hye-Kyung (Nutrition Policy Division, Korea Food & Drug Administration) ;
- Park, Yong-Soon (Dept. of Food and Nutrition, Hanyang University)
- 권용주 (한양대학교 식품영양학과) ;
- 이무용 (동국대학병원 심장혈관센터) ;
- 김지영 (식품의약품안전청 영양정책과) ;
- 권광일 (식품의약품안전청 영양정책과) ;
- 김소진 (식품의약품안전청 영양정책과) ;
- 신희준 (식품의약품안전청 영양정책과) ;
- 박성수 (식품의약품안전청 영양정책과) ;
- 이은주 (식품의약품안전청 영양정책과) ;
- 박혜경 (식품의약품안전청 영양정책과) ;
- 박용순 (한양대학교 식품영양학과)
- Published : 2010.04.30
Excessive intake of sodium is known as a risk factor for hypertension, and Korean adults consume sodium 3 times higher than Dietary Reference Intakes (DRIs). The purpose of this study was to evaluate the difference on sodium content between analyzed and estimated by food composition table and food exchange list. Seven days of low salt diet and seven days of high salt diet were prepared, and sodium contents were estimated by food composition table and food exchange list and measured by atomic absorption spectrophotometer. Sodium contents of diet per day estimated by food exchange list significantly differed from analyzed content, but those estimated by food composition table were not. However, when absolute differences from analyzed content were compared by dishes in the low and high salt diet periods, there were significant differences among estimated sodium content by food composition table and food exchange list and analyzed sodium content. The discrepancy between those results was due to that absolute value was used to compare sodium contents of dishes but not to compare sodium contents of days. In addition, main dish, side dish, and soup were significantly different among estimated sodium content by food composition table and food exchange list and analyzed sodium content. Actual sodium contents of Jap-Chae Deop-Bap and Roasted chicken with oyster sauce differed to a great extent from estimated contents by food exchange list and food composition table. In conclusion, actual sodium contents of Korean dishes were significantly different from those estimated by food composition table and food exchange list, and thus these differences in salt content should be considered on planning of low-salt menu for hypertensive patients.
- Korea National Statistical Office. 2006. Annual report on the cause of death statistics.
- Geleijnse JM, Witteman JCM, Stijnen T, Kloos MW, Hofman A, Grobbee DE. 2007. Sodium and potassium intake and risk of cardiovascular events and all-cause mortality: the Rotterdam Study. Eur J Epidemiol 22: 763-770. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10654-007-9186-2
- Graudal NA, Galloe AM, Garred P. 1998. Effects of sodium restriction on blood pressure, renin, aldosterone, catecholamines, cholesterols, and triglyceride a meta-analysis. JAMA 279: 1383-1391. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.279.17.1383
- Grobbee DE. 1994. Electrolyte intake and human hypertension: sodium and potassium. In Textbook of hypertension. Swales JD, ed. Blackwell scientific publications, Oxford, England. p 539-551.
- MacMahon S, Peto R, Cutler J, Collins R, Sorlie P, NeatonJ, Abbott R, Godwin J, Dyer A, Stamler J. 1990. Blood pressure, stroke, and coronary heart disease. Part 1, Prolonged differences in blood pressure: prospective observational studies corrected for the regression dilution bias. Lancet 335: 765-774. https://doi.org/10.1016/0140-6736(90)90878-9
- Stamler J. 1991. Implications of the INTERSALT study.Hypertension 17: 116-120.
- Ministry of Health and Wealth. 2006. The Third Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (KNHANES III), 2005－Nutrition survey.
- The Korean Nutrition Society. 2005. Dietary reference intakes for Koreans. 7th revision. Seoul, Korea. p 5.
- Nam HW, Lee KY. 1985. A study on the sodium and potassium intakes and their metabolism of the pregnant women in Korea. Korean J Nutr 18: 194-200.
- Moon HK, Choi SO, Kim JE. 2009. Dishes contributing to sodium intake of elderly living in rural areas. Korean JComm Nutr 14: 123-136.
- Park TS, Lee KY. 1985. A study on the sodium and potassium intakes and their metabolism of university students in Korea. Korean J Nutr 18: 201-208.
- Park JA. 1980. Study on sodium and potassium contents of processed food in Korea. MS Thesis. Ewha Womans University, Seoul. p 201-208.
- Ihm IS, Hyun KS. 1969. Studies on the special diet for in-patients (Part 1)－On the sodium restricted diet－. Korean J Nutr 2: 157-168.
- Bray GA, Vollmer WM, Sacks FM, Obarzanek E, SvetkeyLP, Appel LJ. 2004. A further subgroup analysis of the effects of the DASH diet and three dietary sodium levels on blood pressure: results of the DASH-Sodium Trial. Am J Cardiol 94: 222-227. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjcard.2004.03.070
- Sacks FM, Svetkey LP, Vollmer WM, Appel LJ, Bray GA,Harsha D, Obarzanek E, Conlin PR, Miller ER 3rd, Simons-Morton DG. 2001. Effects on blood pressure of reduced dietary sodium and the Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension (DASH) diet. N Engl J Med 344: 3-10. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJM200101043440101
- Park RS, Kim SJ, Lee LH. 1977. Survey on the sodium content of low salt diet at 27 hospitals. Korean J Nutr 10:38-43.
- Cho KH, Park MA, Kim ES. 1996. Differences between estimated and analyzed contents of sodium and potassium in the salt-restricted diet. J Korean Soc Food Nutr 25:406-414.
- The Korean Nutrition Society. 2005. Evaluation of nutrition program CAN-Pro3.0.
- Choi BS, Kim EJ, Park YS. 1997. Study on sodium intake and preference for salty taste in college women. J KoreanSoc Food Sci Nutr 26: 154-160.
- Korea Food and Drug Administration. 2007. Food standards codex. p 767.
- Park YR, Park BO. 1974. NaCl content in Korean storage foods. Korean J Nutr 7: 25-29.
- Lee HY, Kim ES. 1988. A study on sodium and potassium intakes of residents of a farm. MS Thesis. Dankook University, Seoul, Korea. p 62.
- Son SM, Park YS, Lim HJ, Kim SB, Jeong YS. 2007.Sodium intakes of Korean adults with 24-hour urine analysis and dish frequency questionnaire and comparison of sodium intakes according to the regional area and dish group. Korean J Comm Nutr 12: 545-558.
- Park CS. 1976. Studies on the mineral contents in Korean foods－III. Sodium and potassium contents in milk and soft drinks－. Korean J Nutr 9: 31-34.
- Song BH, Hwang SH, Lee JD, Kim HJ, Chung HR, MoonHK. 1991. A study on the mineral contents of Korean common foods and analytic methods 1. Sodium. Kor J FoodHygiene 6: 139-145.
- Appel LJ, Champagne CM, Harsha DW, Cooper LS, Obarzanek E, Elmer PJ, Stevens VJ, Vollmer WM, Lin PH, Svetkey LP. 2003. Effects of comprehensive lifestyle modification on blood pressure control: main results of the premierclinical trial. JAMA 289: 2083-2093. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.289.16.2083
- Yang YF, Wu V, Huang CC. 2005. Successful management of extreme hypernatraemia by haemofiltration in a patient with severe metabolic acidosis and renal failure. NDT 20: 2013-2014. https://doi.org/10.1093/ndt/gfh958
- Cutler JA, Follmann D, Allender PS. 1997. Randomized trials of sodium reduction: an overview. Am J Clin Nutr 65:643-651. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/65.2.643S
- Im JH, Yoon JS. 1993. A comparative study on the dietary Na, Ca intake and urinary excretion of Na, Ca in normotensive and hypertensive free-living adults. EASDL 3:41-50.
- Jang JS, Choi HM, Hyun YY, Kwon BS, Park JY, Kim JH,Lee JW, Lee JE, Kwon YJ, Pyo HJ. 2006. A case of hypernatremia by folk remedies in a CRF patient. Korean J Nephrol 25: 675-679.
- High Sodium Intake in Women with Metabolic Syndrome vol.44, pp.1, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4070/kcj.2014.44.1.30
- Analysis of Na and Cl Contents in Children's Favorite Foods vol.43, pp.5, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4163/kjn.2010.43.5.524
- Sodium intake of a city population in Korea estimated by 24-h urine collection method vol.67, pp.8, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1038/ejcn.2013.87
- High Sodium Intake: Review of Recent Issues on Its Association with Cardiovascular Events and Measurement Methods vol.45, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4070/kcj.2015.45.3.175
- Comparison of sodium content of workplace and homemade meals through chemical analysis and salinity measurements vol.8, pp.5, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4162/nrp.2014.8.5.558