- Volume 39 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Changes in Characteristics of Low-salted Kochujang with Licorice (Glycyrrhiza glabra), Mustard (Brassica juncea), and Chitosan during Fermentation
감초, 겨자 및 키토산을 첨가한 저염 고추장의 특성 변화
- Lim, Seong-Il (Traditional Food Research Group, Korea Food Research Institute) ;
- Song, Sun-Mi (Traditional Food Research Group, Korea Food Research Institute)
- Published : 2010.04.30
Changes in characteristics of low-salted Kochujang added with mixed additives (licorice 0.8%, mustard 0.7%, chitosan 2%) were investigated during fermentation for 40 days. There was no significant difference in viable and yeast cell counts and color among all treatments, whereas lactic acid bacteria counts of 6.8% and 5.9% salted Kochujang added with the mixed additives (p<0.05) were significantly lower than that of control. The phenomenon of abnormal fermentation was observed on surface of low-salted Kochujang but not the low-salted Kochujang added with the mixed additives. The level of amino nitrogen in low-salted Kochujang was close to that of 8.5% salted Kochujang at 20 days of fermentation; however, the amino nitrogen content in 5.9% salted Kochujang added with the additives was 1.6 times higher than in 8.5% salted Kochujang at 40 days. In sensory evaluation, 5.9% salted Kochujang with the additives had the highest score in overall palatability. These results indicate that salt contents of Kochujang could be lowered up to 5.9% by addition of the mixture of licorice, mustard and chitosan, resulting in improvement of palatability and shortening of fermentation time.
- Dahl LK. 2005. Possible role of salt intake in the development of essential hypertension. Int J Epidemiol 34:967-972. https://doi.org/10.1093/ije/dyh317
- Jee SH, Suh I, Kim IS, Appel LJ. 1999. Smoking and atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease in men with low levels of serum cholesterol: the Korea Medical Insurance Corporation Study. JAMA 282: 2149-2155. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.282.22.2149
- He FJ, Markandu ND, Sagnella GA, de Wardener HE, MacGregor GA. 2005. Plasma sodium: ignored and underestimated. Hypertension 45: 98-102. https://doi.org/10.1161/01.HYP.0000149431.79450.a2
- Tsugane S. 2005. Salt, salted food intake, and risk of gastric cancer: epidemiologic evidence. Cancer Sci 96: 1-6. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1349-7006.2005.00006.x
- Ministry of Health and Welfare. 2006. The 3rd National Health and Nutrition Examination (KNHANES III). Korea.
- Ministry of Health and Welfare. 1997. '95 National nutrition survey report. Korea. p 46-47.
- Nam HW, Lee GY. 1985. A study on the sodium and potassium intake and their metabolism of the pregnant women in the Korea. Korean J Nutr 18: 194-200.
- Yamamoto Y, Higashi K, Yoshii H. 1984. Inhibitory activity of ethanol on food spoilage bacteria. Nippon Shokuhin Kogyo Gakkaishi 31: 531-535. https://doi.org/10.3136/nskkk1962.31.8_531
- Lee KS, Kim DH, Moon CO. 1986. Effect of ethanol and lactic acid on the preparation of low salted kochujang.Thesis Collection of Wonkwang Univ (Iksan) 20: 143-164.
- Kim DH, Lee JS. 2001. Effect of condiments on the physicochemical characteristics of traditional kochujang during fermentation. Korean J Food Sci Technol 33: 353-360.
- Yun YS, Kim KS, Lee YN. 1999. Antibacterial and antifungal effect of chitosan. J Chitin Chitosan 4: 8-14.
- Shin DH, Ahn EY, Kim YS, Oh JA. 2000. Fermentation characteristics of Kochujang containing horseradish or mustard. Korean J Food Sci Technol 32: 1350-1357.
- Chun MS, Lee TS, Noh BS. 1992. Effect of gamma-irradiation on quality of kochujang during storage. Foods Biotechnol 1: 117-122.
- Kim SJ, Shin JY, Park YM, Chung KM, Lee JH, Kweon DH. 2006. Investigation of antimicrobial activity and stability of ethanol extracts of licorice root (Glycyrrhiza glabra). Korean J Food Sci Technol 38: 241-248.
- Lim SB, Kim DO, Kim SH, Mok CK, Park YS. 2001. Quality changes during storage of kochujang treated with heat and high hydrostatic pressure. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 30: 611-616.
- Sacler GO. 1994. Titratable acidity. In Introduction to the chemical analysis of foods. Nielsen SS, ed. James and Bartlett Publisher, London, UK. p 83-94.
- Oh JY, Kim YS, Shin DH. 2002. Changes in physicochemical characteristics of low-salted Kochujang with natural preservatives during fermentation. Korean J Food Sci Technol 34: 835-841.
- Shin DH, Kim DH, Choi U, Lim MS, Ahn EY. 1997. Changes in microflora and enzymes activity of traditional Kochujang prepared with various raw materials. Korean J Food Sci Technol 29: 901-906.
- Shim KH, Seo KI, Kang KS, Moon JS, Kim HC. 1995. Antimicrobial substances of distilled components from mustard seed. J Korean Soc Food Nutr 24: 948-955.
- Tokuoka K, Mori R, Isshiki K. 1992. Inhibitory effects of volatile mustard extract on the growth of yeasts. Nippon Shokuhin Kogyo Gakkaishi 39: 68-73. https://doi.org/10.3136/nskkk1962.39.68
- Oh JY, Kim YS, Shin DH. 2005. Changes in microorganisms and enzyme activities of low-salted kochujang added with horseradish powder during fermentation. Korean J Food Sci Technol 37: 463-467.
- Kim MH, Oh SW, Hong SP, Yoon SW. 1998. Antimicrobial characteristics of chitosan and chitosan oligosaccharides on the microorganism related to Kimchi. Korean J Food Sci Technol 30: 1439-1447.
- Kim DH, Yang SE. 2004. Fermentation characteristics of low salted Kochujang prepared with sub-materials. Korean J Food Sci Technol 36: 97-104.
- Park WP. 1993. Quality changes of Kochujang with different mixing rations of raw starch material during aging. J Korean Soc Food Nutr 22: 433-436.
- Kwan DJ, Jung JW, Kim JH, Park JY, Yoo JY, Koo YJ,Chung KS. 1996. Studies on establishment of optimal aging time of Korean traditional kochujang. Agric Chem Biotech 39: 127-133.
- Kim MS, Kim IW, Oh JA, Shin DH. 1998. Quality changes of traditional kochujang prepared with different meju and red pepper during fermentation. Korean J Food Sci Technol 30: 924-933.
- Kim YS, Cha J, Jung SW, Park EJ, Kim JO. 1994. Changes of physicochemical characteristics and development of new quality indices for industry produced koji kochujang. Korean J Food Sci Technol 26: 453-458.
- Kim YS, Shin DB, Koo MS, Oh HI. 1994. Changes in nitrogen compounds of traditional kochujang during fermentation. Korean J Food Sci Technol 26: 389-392.
- Quality Characteristics and Antioxidant Activity of Soy Sauce with Added Levels of Black Garlic Extract vol.32, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.9724/kfcs.2016.32.2.188
- Physicochemical and Sensory Characteristics of Cucumber Salad Using Spicy Hot Flavor Graded Gochujang vol.31, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.9724/kfcs.2015.31.3.255
- Quality Characteristics and Antioxidant Activities of Yanggaeng Supplemented with Licorice Powder vol.45, pp.7, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2016.45.7.1077
- Analysis of Quality State for Gochujang Produced by Regional Rural Families vol.43, pp.7, 2014, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2014.43.7.1088
- The Quality and Antioxidant Properties of Pound Cakes Containing Licorice Powder vol.46, pp.1, 2014, https://doi.org/10.9721/KJFST.2014.46.1.56
- Quality Characteristics of Factory-Style and Handmade-Style Ssamjang vol.45, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2016.45.1.100
- Changes in Enzyme Activity and Sensory Characteristics of Kochujang with Different Ratios of Added Deoduk (Codonopsis lanceolata) Root Powder vol.40, pp.8, 2011, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2011.40.8.1150
- Quality Characteristics of Low-Salt Gochujang Added with Glycyrrhiza uralensis and Brassica juncea vol.16, pp.4, 2011, https://doi.org/10.3746/jfn.2011.16.4.348
- Physicochemical Characteristics and Antioxidant Effects of Red Mustard (Brassica juncea L.) Leaf Using Different Drying Methods vol.28, pp.4, 2017, https://doi.org/10.7856/kjcls.2017.28.4.515