- Volume 39 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Effects of Sclerophyllous Plant Leaves Addition on Fermentative and Sensory Characteristics of Kimchi
경엽식물 잎의 첨가가 김치의 발효 및 관능특성에 미치는 효과
- Park, Dong-Ill (Dept. of Food and Biotechnology and Center for Food Function and Safety, Hoseo University) ;
- Choi, A-Reum (Dept. of Food and Biotechnology and Center for Food Function and Safety, Hoseo University) ;
- Woo, Hye-Jin (Dept. of Food and Biotechnology and Center for Food Function and Safety, Hoseo University) ;
- Rhee, Seong-Kap (Dept. of Food and Biotechnology and Center for Food Function and Safety, Hoseo University) ;
- Chae, Hee-Jeong (Dept. of Food and Biotechnology and Center for Food Function and Safety, Hoseo University)
- 박동일 (호서대학교 식품생물공학과 및 식품기능안전연구센터) ;
- 최아름 (호서대학교 식품생물공학과 및 식품기능안전연구센터) ;
- 우혜진 (호서대학교 식품생물공학과 및 식품기능안전연구센터) ;
- 이성갑 (호서대학교 식품생물공학과 및 식품기능안전연구센터) ;
- 채희정 (호서대학교 식품생물공학과 및 식품기능안전연구센터)
- Published : 2010.04.30
The effects of persimmon, mulberry and bamboo leaves addition on the fermentative and sensory characteristics of kimchi were investigated. Total polyphenol content, DPPH radical scavenging activity and lactic acid bacteria growth inhibition of EtOH extract from persimmon leaves were significantly higher than those from mulberry and bamboo leaves. From the sensory evaluation of kimchi added with three chopped plant leaves, kimchi added with chopped persimmon leaves gave the highest point in color, flavor, texture and overall preference significantly (p<0.05). When the chopped persimmon leaves were added at a ratio of 0.3% based on cabbage weight, the changes of pH and total acidity (TA) during the storage for 14 days were significantly lowered, compared to general kimchi (p<0.05). Total polyphenol content and DPPH radical scavenging activity of kimchi supplemented with chopped persimmon leaves at 0.3% also significantly increased after storage for 14 days (p<0.05), and this kimchi provided higher total polyphenol content and DPPH radical scavenging activity than general kimchi. These results suggest that the addition of perisimmon leaves have significant influences on the fermentation and sensory characteristics of kimchi.
- Bang BH, Seo JS, Jeong EJ. 2008. A method for maintaining good kimchi quality during fermentation. Korean J Food Nutr 21: 51-55.
- Lee MK, Rhee KK, Jang DJ. 2007. A survey of research papers on Korean kimchi and R&D trends. Korean J FoodCulture 22: 104-114.
- Jo JS, Hwang SY. 1998. Standardization of kimchi and related products (2). Korean J Dietary Culture 3: 301-307.
- Ku KH, Sunwoo JY, Park WS. 2005. Effects of ingredients on the its quality characteristics during kimchi fermentation.J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 34: 267-276. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2005.34.2.267
- Park SH, Lee JH. 2006. Consumer acceptance and sensory characteristics of kimchi prepared with different kinds of subsidiary ingredients. Korean J Food Cookery Sci 22:370-378.
- Kang KS, Park KY, Cho EJ, Rhee SH. 1999. In vitro anticancer effect of Chinese cabbage kimchi fractions. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 28: 1326-1331.
- Cheigh HS, Hwang JH. 2000. Antioxidative characteristics of kimchi. Food Ind Nutr 5: 52-56.
- Kim MJ, Kwon MJ, Song YO, Lee EK, Youn HJ, Song YS.1997. The effect of kimchi on hematological and immunological parameters in vivo and in vitro. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 26: 1208-1214.
- Lee KE, Choi UH, Ji GE. 1996. Effect of kimchi intake on the composition of human large intestinal bacteria. KoreanJ Food Sci Technol 28: 981-986.
- Lee JJ, Jeong YK. 1999. Cholesterol-lowering effect and anticancer activity of kimchi and kimchi ingredients. Korean J Life Sci 9: 743-752.
- Park BH, Cho HS, Oh BY. 2002. Phycochemical characteristics of kimchi treated with chitosan during fermentation.Korean J Human Ecol 5: 85-93.
- Kwon MJ, Chun JH, Song YS, Song YO. 1999. Daily kimchi consumption and its hypolipidemic effect in middle-aged men. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 28: 1144-1150.
- Park CS, Kim ML. 2006. Functional properties of Angelica gigas Nakai leave (AGL) extract and quality characteristics of mumalangi kimchi added AGL. Koeran J Food Cookery Sci 23: 728-735.
- Paik JE. 2007. Effect of potato on the storage of kimchi.Korean J Food Nutr 20: 421-426.
- Rhee SK, Kim DS, Oh SW. 1997. The effect of cocoon silk fibroin hydrolyzate (CSFH) on shelf-life extension of kimchi during fermentation. Agric Chem Biotechnol 40: 541-545.
- Lee SH, Choi JS, Park KN, Im YS, Choi WJ. 2002. Effect of Prunus mume Sie. extract on growth of lactic acid bacteria isolated from kimchi and preservation of kimchi.Korean J Food Preserv 9: 292-297.
- Chang KS, Kim MJ, Kim SD. 1995. Effect of ginseng on the preservability and quality of Chinese cabbage kimchi.J Korean Soc Food Nutr 24: 313-322.
- Lee SK, Choi DJ, Kim JG. 2003. The effect of chitosan addition on soybean leaf kimchi fermentation. Korean J Food Preserv 10: 517-521.
- Kim HJ, Kim MK. 2003. Anticancer effect of persimmon leaf extract on Korean gastric cancer cell. Korean J Nutr 32: 133-146.
- Roh YK, Park SH, Jang SH, Sung JJ. 2000. Analysis of components and leaves yield by cultivar for persimmon leaf tea. Korean J Food Postharvest Sci Technol 7: 99-102.
- Park SK, Kang SG, Chung HJ. 1994. Effect of essential oil in astringent persimmon leaves on kimchi fermentation.Kor J Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 22: 217-221.
- Baek JW, Chung SH, Moon GS. 2002. Antimicrobial activities of ethanol extracts from Korean bamboo culms and leaves. Korean J Food Sci Technol 34: 1073-1078.
- Shin MK, Han SH. 2002. Effects of methanol extract from bamboo (Pseudosasa japonica Makino) leaves extract on lipid metabolism in rats fed high fat and high cholesterol diet. Korean J Dietary Culture 17: 30-36.
- Ju IO, Jung GT, Ryu J, Choi JS, Choi TG. 2005. Chemical components and physiological activities of bamboo (Phyllostachys bambusoides Starf) extracts prepared withdifferent methods. Korean J Food Sci Technol 37: 542-548.
- Lee WC, Kim AJ, Kim SY. 2003. The study on the functional materials and effects of mulberry leaf. Food Sci Ind 36: 2-14.
- Chung DK, Yu R. 1995. Antimicrobial activity of bamboo leaves extract on microorganisms related to kimchi fermentation. Korean J Food Sci Technol 27: 1035-1038.
- Shin SM, La SH, Choi MK. 2007. A study on the quality characteristics of kimchi with mulberry leaf powder. Korean J Food Nutr 20: 53-62.
- Jung KM, Kang GH, Kwon MK, Song IK, Cho DH, Chou TD. 2004. Chemical components and antioxidant of persimmon leaves. Korean J Food Preserv 11: 175-181.
- Choi AR, Park DI, Yoo GJ, Kim SY, Jang JB, Chae HJ. 2009. Effect of soaking of sub-ingredients on odor and fermentation characteristics of kimchi. J Korean Soc Food SciNutr 38: 1564-1570. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2009.38.11.1564
- Heo JC, Park JY, An SM, Lee JA, Yun CY, Shin HM, Kwon TK, Lee SH. 2006. Anti-oxidant and anti-tumor activities of crude extracts by Gastrodia elata blum. Korean J Food Preserv 13: 83-87.
- Cho CH, Yoo GJ, Son MH, Park KH, Lim BL, Kim DC, Chae HJ. 2008. Resveratrol extraction from grape fruit stem and its antioxidant activity. J Korean Soc Appl Biol Chem51: 11-16.
- Kim DY. 2001. Research on elaboration and revision of KS standards and assessment criteria of certification for processed foods and traditional food standards in 2001. Korea Institute of Science and Technology Information, Chungnam, Korea.
- Moon SH, Park KY. 2000. Antioxidative effect of persimmon leaves. Korean J Food Nutr 13: 53-58.
- Oh HM, Kim MK. 2001. Effect of dried leaf powders, water and ethanol extracts of persimmon and green tea leaves on lipid metabolism and antioxidative capacity in 12-month-old rats. Korean J Nutr 34: 285-298.
- Ahn SI, Heuing BJ, Son JY. 2007. Antioxidative activities and nitrite-scavenging abilities of some phenolic compounds.Korean J Food Cookery Sci 23: 19-24.
- Kim MH, Kim MC, Park JS, Kim JW, Lee JO. 2001. The antioxidative effects of the water-soluble extracts of plants used as tea materials. Korean J Food Sci Technol 33:12-18.
- Park BH, Back KY, Lee SI, Kim SD. 2008. Quality and antioxidative characteristics of Cudrania tricuspidata leaves tea. Korean J Food Preserv 21: 461-468.
- Kim SI, Sim KH, Ju SY, Han YS. 2009. A study of antioxidative and hypoglycemic activity of omija (Schizandra chinensis Baillon) extract under variable extract conditions. Korean J Food Nutr 22: 41-47.
- Kang SY, Joo HM. 2005. Effect of kimchi ingredients on the growth of pathogenic and lactic acid bacteria. Korean J Food Cookery Sci 21: 838-843.
- Lim YS, Park KN, Bae MJ, Lee SH. 2001. Antimicrobial effects of ethanol extracts of Pinus densiflora Sieb. et zucc on lactic acid bacteria. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 30:1158-1163.
- Choi AR, Park DI, Son MH, Kim SY, Jang JB, Chae HJ.2010. The effects of deodorizing plants on the odor and fermentation characteristics of kimchi. Korean J Food Sci Technol 42: (in press).
- Kim KM, Kim SD. 2003. Fermentation characteristics of kimchi treated with different method of green tea water extracts. Korean J Food Preserv 10: 354-359.
- Fermentative Properties and Immunomodulating Activity of Low-sodium Kimchi Supplemented with Acanthopanax senticosus and Glycyrrhizae uralensis Extracts vol.25, pp.4, 2012, https://doi.org/10.9799/ksfan.2012.25.4.878
- Quality Characteristics of Kimchi with Mulberry Leaves Enzyme Liquid and its Acceptability by Middle School Students vol.23, pp.3, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5934/kjhe.2014.23.3.467
- Quality and sensory characteristics of commercial kimchi according to sodium contents vol.48, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.9721/KJFST.2016.48.5.413
- Effects of Mashed Red Pepper on the Quality Characteristics of Kimchi vol.40, pp.12, 2011, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2011.40.12.1769
- Changes in Quality Characteristics of Kimchi Added with the Fresh Red Pepper (Capsicum Annuum L.) vol.28, pp.2, 2012, https://doi.org/10.9724/kfcs.2012.28.2.167
- Quality and Fermentation Characteristics of Garlic-added Kimchi vol.19, pp.4, 2012, https://doi.org/10.11002/kjfp.2012.19.4.539
- Persimmon leaf and seed powders could enhance nutritional value and acceptance of green tea vol.16, pp.19, 2017, https://doi.org/10.5897/AJB2017.15949