- Volume 39 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Evaluation for Importance and Performance of Sanitary Characteristics by Bakers in Busan
부산지역 제과제빵종사자의 위생요인에 대한 중요도와 수행도 평가
- Kim, So-Hee (School of Culinary Art & Baking Technology, Dong-Ju College)
- 김소희 (동주대학 외식조리제과계열)
- Published : 2010.04.30
This study was conducted to investigate the state of hygiene education aimed for by bakers, and the evaluations of the importance and the performance concerning sanitary characteristics by the bakers. The questionnaires were administered to 186 bakers in Busan and the data evaluated by 5 scales method of Likert were statistically analyzed. 20.4% of bakers have not received hygiene education. Only 32.8% of bakers have experienced hygiene education regularly. The more the bakers were educated, the more they practiced the contents of hygiene education. The major reason of education unfulfilment was due to insufficient equipments and facilities. The scores of the hygienic performance of educated bakers were significantly (p<0.05) higher than those of uneducated bakers in food sanitation, especially for sanitary characteristics on inspection, pre-preparation and distribution. The mean scores of the importance and the performance evaluated by bakers were 4.05/5.00 and 3.76/5.00, respectively. The bakers assessed the highest scores on the importance and the performance of personal hygiene. The gap score was -0.30 between the importance and the performance for sanitary characteristics. The baker recognized that sanitary management was not performed as much as they recognized its importance. The importance and the performance grid of bakers revealed that the items of checking the certification for the origin of new food ingredient, inspecting deliveries as quickly as possible, separation between preparing and breading time, thawing frozen food under running tap water/in refrigerator, separating disposal gloves and utensils by the purpose, putting products in cleaned and sterilized utensils, letting consumes know the expiration date of products, preventing a rubber hose from being left on the kitchen floor, checking insect nets frequently and so on showed lower scores compared to the mean scores of the importance and the performance. The levels of the hygienic performance by bakers were positively correlated (p<0.01) with the recognitions of the importance on sanitary characteristics. These results might provide basic data for hygienic training and play a role on the improvement of the sanitary management in bakery.
- Lee HS, Jang MS. 2008. The development of the HACCP plan in Korean rice cake manufacturing facilities. Korean J Food Cookery Sci 24: 652-664.
- KFDA. 2000. Outbreak present state and preventive measures of food poisoning. Korea Food & Drug Administration, Seoul, Korea.
- Kim HU. 2003. Trends and perspectives in industry of bakery. Food Science and Industry 36: 3-12.
- Synder OP. 1990. Food safety 2000: Applying HACCP for food safety assurance in the 21th century. Dairy Food Environ Sanitat 10: 197-204.
- Bauman H. 1990. HACCP: concept, development, and application. Food Technol 44: 156-158.
- 식품의약품안전청. 2009. HACCP적용업체지정현황. http://www.kfda.go.kr/index.kfda?mid=68&pageNo=4&seq=7136&cmd=v.
- Kwak TK, Joo SY, Lee SM. 1992. Applying HACCP for microbiological quality control in hospital foodservice operations. Korean J Soc Food Sci 8: 123-135.
- Ju SH, Kim HY. 1998. A study on microbiological quality & safety control of cold soybean noodles serviced by an industry foodservice establishment (I). Korean J Soc Food Sci 4: 71-79.
- Kye SH, Moon HK. 1995. Hazard analysis and critical control point of Korean soups prepared at Korean restaurants: Hazard analysis of tang (galvitang, sulluntang, jangkuk). Korean J Diet Cul 10: 35-44.
- Jyung IH, Noh WS. 2001. A study on the microbiological analysis of HACCP in hamburger. Korean J Food & Nutr 14: 467-478.
- Lee BH, Huh KS, Kim IH. 2004. Establishment of hygienic standards for pizza restaurant based on HACCP conceptfocusedon pizza production. Korean J Food Sci Technol36: 174-182.
- Lee JM, Park JY, Lee HR, Lee MS, Yoon SY, Chung DH,Lee JM, Oh SS. 2005. Microbiological evaluation for HACCP guideline of Korean traditional cookies. J Fd Hyg Safety20: 36-42.
- Kim EM, Kim HS. 2001. Evaluation of microbiological hazards of baking utensils and environment of bakeries.Culinary Res 7: 85-98.
- Orm AS, Kwon SH, Chung DH, Oh SS, Lee HO. 2003.Microbiological quality evaluation for application of the HACCP system to the bakery products at small scale bakeries. Korean J Soc Food Cookery Sci 19: 454-462.
- Kim HY, Park JY, Chung DH, Oh SS. 2004. Microbiological evaluation for HACCP implementation of wholesale bakery products. J Fd Hyg Safety 19: 185-192.
- Bryan FL. 1991. Teaching HACCP techniques to food processors and regulatory officials. Dairy Food Erviron Sanitat 11: 562-568.
- Moon HK, Jean JY, Lyu ES. 2004. Assessment of hygiene knowledge and recognition on job performance levels for HACCP implementation for dieticians and employees atcontract foodservices. J Korean Dietetic Assoc 10: 261-271.
- Yoon SI, Kye SH, Kim YC, Jeoung EY. 1991. A study of the need assessment for the public food sanitation education.Korean J Dietary Culture 6: 203-299.
- Kwak TK, Cho YS, Lee HS. 1994. Evaluation of the food sanitation training program in child-care centers. Korean J Dietary Culture 9: 251-257.
- Lee HO, Shim JY, Shin HA, Chung DH, Om AS. 2002.Recognition study on introduction of HACCP to industryfoodservice. Korean J Soc Food Cookery Sci 18: 355-364.
- Moon HK, Hwang JO. 2003. Study on hygiene knowledge and recognition on job performance levels for HACCP application for employees at contract foodservices. Korean JCommunity Nutr 8: 71-82.
- Kim YO, Kim SA, Ly SY. 2006. Perceived performance of sanitary management and HACCP knowledge of school food service managers in Daejeon. Chungnam J Human Ecology 19: 111-130.
- Kang SW. 2002. A study on the quality management perception of baking's staffs. Culinary Res 8: 107-122.
- 손인수. 2007. 심층분석! 최근 베이커리 소비자 동향. 월간베이커리, 대한제과협회, 서울. Vol 7, p 122-127.
- Puckett RP, Norton LC. 1996. HACCP The future challenge. The Norton Group, Inc., Missouri City, Texas, USA. p 45-77.
- Nunnally JC. 1967. Psychometric theory. McGraw-Hill Book Co., NY, USA. p 5-56.
- Kim SH. 2005. Evaluation of importance and performance for students and employees about sanitary characteristics for high school foodservice in Busan. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 34: 1414-1426. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2005.34.9.1414
- Hong WS, Yoon JY. 2003. Foodservice employees' sanitation and hygiene practice in school foodservice. KoreanJ Soc Food Cookery Sci 19: 403-412.
- Ryu K. 1996. The development of computer-assisted HACCP program and HACCP education/training manual for the microbiological quality assurance in hospital foodservice operations. PhD Dissertation. Yonsei University, Seoul, Korea.
- Powers EM. 1995. Waterless emergency sanitation systems for foodserving utensils and equipment. Dairy Food Environ Sanit 15: 215-224.
- Kwak TK. 1999. Implementation of HACCP to the foodservice industry and HACCP plans development. Food Industry and Nutrition 4: 1-18.
- Hernandez J. 1998. Managing the flow of food. Food Management 33: 73-38.
- Farkas D. 1996. Creating awareness. Food Management31: 100-104.
- Kim EM, Kim HS. 2002. Nutritional evaluation, stability of cereals and sanitation status of processing utensils and environments based on hygiene education. Korean J Community Nutrition 7: 833-843.
- Featsent AW. 1998. Food fright. Restaurants*USA 18:30-34.
- Lyu ES, Jang HJ. 1995. Food sanitary practices of the employees in university and industry foodservice. Korean J Soc Food Cookery Sci 11: 274-281.
- Park HK, Kim KL, Shin HW, Kye SH, Yoo WC. 2000.Evaluation of microbiological hazard of cooking utensils and environment of mass catering establishments. J Fd Hyg Safety 15: 315-323.
- Yoo SS, Shin YC. 2007. Perceived importance of kitchen equipment and facilities on cook's hygienic performance in deluxe hotels. Korean J Food Cookery Sci 23: 25-32.
- Rennie DM. 1994. Evaluation of food hygiene education. British Food J 96: 20-25. https://doi.org/10.1108/00070709410074650
- McSwane D, Rue N, Linton R. 1998. Essentials of food safety & sanitation. Prentice-hall. Inc., New Jersey, USA. p 14-15.
- 대한제과협회. 2009. 위생교육교재. 서울.
- The Implementation of a HACCP System through u-HACCPⓇApplication and the Verification of Microbial Quality Improvement in a Small Size Restaurant vol.42, pp.3, 2013, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2013.42.3.464
- Importance and Performance Analysis of Sanitation Management in Workers at Small and Medium Foodservice Industries Using HACCP Prerequisites vol.45, pp.10, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2016.45.10.1497