- Volume 39 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Antioxidant Compounds and Antioxidant Activities of Ethanol Extracts from Milling By-products of Rice Cultivars
벼 품종별 도정 부산물 에탄올 추출물의 항산화 성분 및 항산화 효과
- Oh, Sea-Kwan (National Institute of Crop Science, Rural Development Administration) ;
- Kim, Dae-Jung (National Institute of Crop Science, Rural Development Administration) ;
- Chun, A-Reum (National Institute of Crop Science, Rural Development Administration) ;
- Yoon, Mi-Ra (National Institute of Crop Science, Rural Development Administration) ;
- Kim, Kee-Jong (National Institute of Crop Science, Rural Development Administration) ;
- Lee, Jun-Soo (Dept. of Food Science and Technology, Chungbuk National University) ;
- Hong, Ha-Cheol (National Institute of Crop Science, Rural Development Administration) ;
- Kim, Yeon-Kyu (National Institute of Crop Science, Rural Development Administration)
- 오세관 (농촌진흥청 국립식량과학원) ;
- 김대중 (농촌진흥청 국립식량과학원) ;
- 천아름 (농촌진흥청 국립식량과학원) ;
- 윤미라 (농촌진흥청 국립식량과학원) ;
- 김기종 (농촌진흥청 국립식량과학원) ;
- 이준수 (충북대학교 식품공학과) ;
- 홍하철 (농촌진흥청 국립식량과학원) ;
- 김연규 (농촌진흥청 국립식량과학원)
- Published : 2010.04.30
This study was conducted to determine antioxidant compounds and antioxidative activities of by-products including rice bran and half-crashed rice by rice milling. DPPH, ABTS radical scavenging activities and reducing power have been used to investigate the relative antioxidative activities of 70% EtOH extracts from by-products. The contents of total polyphenol, total flavonoid and
- Bae SM, Kim JH, Cho CW, Jeong TJ, Ha JU, Lee SC. 2001.Effect of microwave treatment on the antioxidant activity of rice processed by-products. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr30: 1026-1032.
- Halliwell B. 1996. Antioxidants in human health and disease. Annu Rev Nutr 16: 33-49. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.nu.16.070196.000341
- Morrissey PA, O'Brien NM. 1998. Dietary antioxidants in health and disease. Int Dairy J 8: 463-472. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0958-6946(98)00070-3
- Lee YH, Moon TW. 1994. Composition, water-holding capacity and effect on starch retrogradation of rice bran dietary fiber. Korean J Food Sci Technol 26: 288-294.
- Kim YH, Kang CS, Lee YS. 2004. Quantification of tocopherol and tocotrienol content in rice bran by near infrated reflectance spectroscopy. Korean J Crop Sci 43: 211-215.
- Choi HI, Ye EJ, Kim SJ, Bae MJ, Yee ST, Park EJ, ParkEM. 2006. Anticancer (in vitro) and antiallergy effects ofrice bran extracts. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 35:1297-1303. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2006.35.10.1297
Bae SM, Kim JH, Cho CW, Jeong TJ, Yook HS, Byun MW,Lee SC. 2002. Effect of
$\gamma$-irradiation on the antioxidantactivity of rice hull, rice bran and barley bran. J KoreanSoc Food Sci Nutr 31: 246-250. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2002.31.2.246
- Qureshi AA, Mo H, Packer L, Peterson DM. 2000. Isolation and identification of novel tocotrienols from rice bran with hypocholesterolemic, antioxidant and antitumor properties.J Agric Food Chem 48: 3130-3140. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf000099t
- Nam SH, Kang MY. 1997. In vitro inhibitory effect of coloredrice bran extracts carcinogenicity. Agric ChemBiotechnol 40: 307-312.
- Kahlon TS, Chow FI, Sayre RN, Betschart AA. 1992.Related articles cholesterol-lowering in hamsters fed rice bran at various levels, defatted rice bran and rice bran oil.J Nutr 122: 513-519. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/122.3.513
- Osawa T, Narashima R, Kawakishi S, Namaki M, TashiroT. 1985. Antioxidative defense system in rice hull against damage caused by oxygen radicals. Agric Biol Chem 49:3085-3087. https://doi.org/10.1271/bbb1961.49.3085
- Lai P, Li KY, Lu S, Chen HH. 2009. Phytochemicals and antioxidant properties of solvent extracts from J aponica rice bran. Food Chem 117: 538-544. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2009.04.031
- Muramoto G, Kawamura S. 1991. Rice protein and anti-hypertensive peptide (angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitor) from rice. Nippon Shokuhin Kougyo 34: 18-26.
- Lee KY, Kim JH, Son JR, Lee JS. 2001. Detection and extraction condition of physiological functional compounds from bran of Heugjinju rice (Oryza sativa L.). Korean J Postharvest Sci Technol 8: 296-301.
- Choi SP, Kang MY, Nam SH. 2004. Inhibitory activity of the extracts from the pigmented rice brans on inflammatoryreactions. J Korean Soc Appl Biol Chem 47: 222-227.
- Velioglu YS, Mazza G, Cao L, Oomah BD. 1998. Antioxidant activity and total phenolics in selected fruit, vegetables, and grain products. J Agric Food Chem 46: 4113-4117. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf9801973
- Jia Z, Tang M, Wu J. 1999. The determination of flavonoid contents in mulberry and their scavenging effects on superoxide radicals. Food Chem 64: 555-559. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0308-8146(98)00102-2
- Lee SM, Lee J. 2006. Tocopherol and tocotrienol contents of vegetable oils, margarines, butters, and peanut buttersconsumed in Korean diet. Food Sci Biotechnol 15: 183-188.
Lilitchan S, Tangprawat C, Aryusuk K, Krisnangkura S,Chokmoh S, Krisnangkura K. 2008. Partial extraction method for the rapid analysis of total lipids and
$\gamma$-oryzanol contents in rice bran. Food Chem 106: 752-759. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2007.06.052
- Re R, Pellegrini N, Proteggente A, Pannala A, Yang M, Rice-Evans C. 1999. Antioxidant activity applying an improved ABTS radical cation decolorization assay. Free Radic Biol Med 26: 1231-1237. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0891-5849(98)00315-3
- Mau JL, Lin IIC, Song SF. 2002. Antioxidant properties of several specialty mushrooms. Food Res Int 35: 519-526. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0963-9969(01)00150-8
- Kim DO, Lee KW, Lee HJ, Lee CY. 2002. Vitamin C equivalent antioxidant capacity (VCEAC) of phenolic phytochemicals. J Agric Food Chem 50: 3713-3717. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf020071c
- Scalbert A, Johnson IT, Saltmarsh M. 2005. Polyphenols:antioxidants and beyond. Am J Clin Nutr 81: 215S-217S. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/81.1.215S
- Sakihama Y, Cohen MF, Grace SC, Yamasaki H. 2002. Plant phenolic antioxidant and prooxidant activities: phenolics-induced oxidative damage mediated by metals in plants.Toxicology 177: 67-80. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0300-483X(02)00196-8
- Kong SH, Choi YM, Lee SM, Lee JS. 2008. Antioxidant compounds and antioxidant activities of the methanolic extracts from milling fractions of black rice. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 37: 815-819. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2008.37.7.815
- Oki T, Masuda M, Kobayashi M, Nishiba Y. 2002. Polymeric procyanidins as radical-scavenging components in red-hulled rice. J Agric Food Chem 50: 7524-7529. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf025841z
- Woo KS, Jeong EG, Suh SJ, Yang CI, Jeong HS, Kim KJ.2008. Antioxidant components and antioxidant activities of 70% ethanol extracts on Suweon-511 and I lpum rice. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 37: 1223-1230. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2008.37.10.1223
- Seo SJ, Choi YM, Lee SM, Kong SH, Lee JS. 2008.Antioxidant activities and antioxidant compounds of some specialty rices. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 37: 129-135. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2008.37.2.129
- Choi Y, Jeong HS, Lee J. 2007. Antioxidant activity of methanolic extracts from some grains consumed in Korea.Food Chem 13: 130-138.
- Lee YR, Woo KS, Kim KJ, Son JR, Jeong HS. 2007.Antioxidant activities of ethanol extracts from germinatedspecialty rough rice. Food Sci Biotechnol 16: 765-770.
- Kim EO, Oh JH, Lee KT, Im JG, Kim SS, Suh HS, ChoiSW. 2008. Chemical compositions and antioxidant activityof the colored rice cultivars. Korean J Food Preserv 15:118-124.
- Immunostimulatory effects and characterization of a glycoprotein fraction from rice bran vol.17, pp.2, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.intimp.2013.06.013
- Therapeutic properties of rice constituents and derivatives (Oryza sativa L.): A review update vol.40, pp.1, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tifs.2014.08.002
- Effects of Chenopodium album Linne on Gastritis and Gastric Cancer Cell Growth vol.19, pp.4, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4062/biomolther.2011.19.4.487
- Effect of Application of Rice Bran Extract on Quality of Agaricus bisporus during Storage vol.32, pp.6, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7235/hort.2014.13185
- Characteristics of Enzymatic Hydrolysates of Rice Bran and Rice Protein by Mixing Ratio and Hydrolysis Times vol.45, pp.10, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2016.45.10.1460
- Cultivar Comparison on Tocopherols, Tocotrienols, and Antioxidant Compounds in Rice Bran vol.58, pp.4, 2013, https://doi.org/10.7740/kjcs.2013.58.4.367
- Comparison of Antioxidant Activities by Different Extraction Temperatures of Some Commercially Available Cultivars of Rice Bran in Korea vol.26, pp.1, 2013, https://doi.org/10.9799/ksfan.2013.26.1.001
- Sleep-Induction Effects of GABA Coated Rice from Fermentation of Mono Sodium Glutamate vol.24, pp.6, 2013, https://doi.org/10.14478/ace.2013.1066
- The Optimal Condition and Enzyme Activity of Entomopathogenic Fungus Beauveria bassiana Using Extracted Rice Bran vol.23, pp.8, 2013, https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2013.23.8.1010
- Antioxidant Activities of Citrus unshiu Extracts obtained from Different Solvents vol.28, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.9799/ksfan.2015.28.3.458
- Antioxidant Component and Sensory Evaluation of Mixed Cereals vol.28, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.9799/ksfan.2015.28.2.196
- Culture Method of Spore for Entomopathogenic Fungus Using Natural Zeolite Ceramic Ball vol.35, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5338/KJEA.2016.35.1.08
- Physicochemical characteristics and antioxidant activities of rice bran extracts according to extraction solvent and cultivar vol.25, pp.6, 2018, https://doi.org/10.11002/kjfp.2018.25.6.668