- Volume 39 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Antioxidant Effect of Extracts Obtained from Three Chrysanthemum Species
국화과 Chrysanthemum속 식물 3종의 항산화 효과
- Woo, Jeong-Hyang (Dept. of Horticultural Science, Chungbuk National University) ;
- Shin, So-Lim (Dept. of Horticultural Science, Chungbuk National University) ;
- Jeong, Heon-Sang (Dept of Food Science and Technology, Chungbuk National University) ;
- Lee, Cheol-Hee (Dept. of Horticultural Science, Chungbuk National University)
- Published : 2010.04.30
To develop a natural antioxidant from three Chrysanthemum species, flower and shoot extracts of Chrysanthemum frutescens, Chrysanthemum morifolium and Chrysanthemum zawadskii ssp. naktongense were obtained and their phenolic compound contents, scavenging effects on DPPH and ABTS radicals, ferrous ion chelating effects and inhibition activity on lipid peroxidation of linoleic acid were studied. Shoots of C. morifolium showed the highest levels in all above mentioned analyses. Especially, shoot extract of C. morifolium had high scavenging activities on ABTS radicals, similar to ascorbic acid or BHT. Ferrous ion chelating effect was the lowest in a C. morifolium shoot extract, but the highest in a C. morifolium flower extract. Inhibition activity on lipid peroxidation of linoleic acid was the highest with C. frutescens and C. morifolium shoots, but activity was lower than BHT. From present study, a shoot extract of C. morifolium is demonstrated as a valuable source for the development of a natural antioxidant. However, due to its low levels of ferrous ion chelating effects and inhibition activity on lipid peroxidation, a combination of other antioxidants with C. morifolium extract is recommended for the development of a new antioxidant.
- Collins RA, Ng TB, Fong WP, Wan CC, Yeung HW. 1997.A comparison of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 inhibition by partially purified aqueous extracts of Chinese medicinal herbs. Life Sci 60: 345-351.
- Hu CQ, Chen K, Shi Q, Kilkuskie RE, Cheng YC, Lee KH.1994. Anti-AIDS agents, 10. Acacetin-7-O-beta-D-galactopyranoside, an anti-HIV principle from Chrysanthemum morifolium and a structure-activity correlation with some related flavonoids. J Nat Prod 57: 42-51. https://doi.org/10.1021/np50103a006
- Sassi AB, Harzallah-Skhiri F, Bourgougnon N, Aouni M. 2008. Antimicrobial activities of four Tunisian Chrysanthemum species. Ind J Med Res 127: 183-192.
- Marongiu B, Piras A, Porcedda S, Tuveri E, Laconi S, Deidda D, Maxia A. 2009. Chemical and biological comparisons on supercritical extracts of Tanacetum cinerariifolium (Trevir) Sch. Bip. with three related species of chrysanthemums of Sardinia (Italy). Nat Prod Res 23:190-199. https://doi.org/10.1080/14786410801946221
- Gonzalez A, Estevez-Reyes R, Estevez-Braun A, RaveloAG. 1997. Biological activities of some Argyranthemum species. Phytochemistry 45: 963-967. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0031-9422(97)00063-0
- Tseng WK, Chen YS, Kwan CC. 2009. Study of Chrysanthemum zawadskii ssp. naktongense flowers extract on the efficacy of antioxidation, inhibiting the formation of melanin and antimutagenicity. Taiwan J Agric Chem Food Sci 47:47-54.
- Park NY, Lee KD, Jeong YJ, Kwon JH. 1998. Optimization of extraction conditions for physicochemical properties ofethanol extracts from Chrysanthemum boreale. J KoreanSoc Food Sci Nutr 27: 585-590.
- Yu JS, Hwang IG, Woo KS, Chang YD, Lee CH, Jeong JH,Jeong HS. 2008. Physicochemical characteristics of Chrysanthemumindicum L. flower tea according to differentpan-firing times. Korean J Food Sci Technol 40: 297-302.
- Kwon YD, Ko EY, Hong SJ, Park SW. 2008. Comparison of sulforaphane and antioxidant contents according to different parts and maturity of broccoli. Kor J Hort Sci Technol 26: 344-349.
- Velioglu YS, Mazza G, Cao L, Oomah BD. 1998. Antioxidant activity and total phenolics in selected fruits, vegetables, and grain products. J Agric Food Chem 46: 4113-4117. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf9801973
- NFRI. 1990. Manuals of quality characteristic analysis for food quality evaluation (2). National Food Research Institute, Skuba, Japan.
- Blois MS. 1958. Antioxidant determination by the use of a stable free radical. Nature 181: 1199-1200. https://doi.org/10.1038/1811199a0
- Re R, Pellegrini N, Proteggente A, Pannala A, Yang M, Rice-Evans C. 1999. Antioxidant activity applying an improved ABTS radical cation decolorization assay. Free Radic Biol Med 26: 1231-1237. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0891-5849(98)00315-3
- Yen GC, Duhb PD, Tsaia HL. 2002. Antioxidant and prooxidant properties of ascorbic acid and garlic acid. Food Chem 79: 307-313. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0308-8146(02)00145-0
- Haraguchi H, Hashimoto K, Yagi A. 1992. Antioxidative substances in leaves of Polygonum hydropiper. J Agric Food Chem 40: 1349-1351. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf00020a011
- Liu H, Qiu N, Ding H, Yao R. 2008. Polyphenols contents and antioxidant capacity of 68 Chinese herbals suitable for medical or food uses. Food Res Internat 41: 363-370. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodres.2007.12.012
- Kim EY, Baik IH, Kim JH, Kim SR, Rhyu MR. 2004. Screening of the antioxidant activity of some medicinal plants. Korean J Food Sci Technol 36: 333-338.
- Kim HJ, Jun BS, Kim SK, Cha JY, Cho YS. 2000.Polyphenolic compound content and antioxidative activities by extracts from seed, sprout and flower of safflower (Carthamus tinctorius L.). J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr29: 1127-1132.
- Decker EA, Hultin HO. 1992. Lipid oxidation in muscle foods via redox iron. In Lipid oxidation in food. St. Angelo AJ, ed. ACS Symposium Series 500, Washington, DC, USA.p 1-11.
- Seo SJ, Choi Y, Lee SM, Kong S, Lee J. 2008. Antioxidant activities and antioxidant compounds of some specialtyrices. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 37: 129-135. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2008.37.2.129
- de Kok TMCM, Zwingman I, Moonen EJ, SchildermanPAEL, Rhijnsburger E, Haenen GRMM, Kleinjans JCS. 2003. Analysis of oxidative DNA damage after human dietary supplementation with linoleic acid. Food Chem Toxicol41: 351-358. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0278-6915(02)00237-5
- Lee SE, Sung JS, Jang LB, Kim GS, Ahn TJ, Han HS, KimJE, Kim YO, Park CB, Cha SW, Ahn YS, Park HK, BangJK, Seong NS. 2008. Investigation on antioxidant activityin plant resources. J Med Crop Sci 16: 356-370.
- Antioxidant Activities of Solvent Extracts from Rosa multiflora vol.24, pp.11, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2014.24.11.1217
- Antioxidant and Anticancer Activities of Artemisia annua L. and Determination of Functional Compounds vol.40, pp.4, 2011, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2011.40.4.509
- Antioxidant and Anti-inflammatory Activities of Functional Plant Materials vol.23, pp.7, 2013, https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2013.23.7.869
- Acute Oral Toxicity and Skin Irritation Studies on Natural Dyes Extracted from Chrysanthemum vol.27, pp.2, 2012, https://doi.org/10.13103/JFHS.2012.27.2.188
- Effect of Fermented Herbal Mixture against Oxidative Stress in HepG2 and PC12 Cells vol.45, pp.7, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2016.45.7.1057
- Inhibitory Effect of Chrysanthemum zawadskii var. latilobum Kitamura Extracts against Mutagenicity of Cigarette Smoke Condensates (CSC) vol.19, pp.3, 2011, https://doi.org/10.7783/KJMCS.2011.19.3.170
- Study on the Antioxidant Effect and Total Phenolics Content in Rosaceae Plant Stem vol.23, pp.12, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5322/JESI.2014.23.12.2129
- Antioxidative and Antigenotoxic Activity of White and Yellow Chrysanthemum morifolium Ramat Extracts vol.41, pp.3, 2012, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2012.41.3.289
- Antioxidant Activity and Protective Effects of Extracts from Chrysanthemum boreale on t-BHP Induced Oxidative Stress in Chang Cells vol.43, pp.1, 2014, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2014.43.1.060