- Volume 39 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Effect of Hypochlorous Acid to Reduce Microbial Populations in Dipping Procedure of Fresh Produce as Saengshik Raw Materials
생식원료 야채의 전처리공정에서 Hypochlorous Acid의 미생물 제어 효과
- Koh, So-Mi (Dept. of Food Science & Technology, Mokpo National University) ;
- Kim, Jeong-Mok (Dept. of Food Science & Technology, Mokpo National University)
- Published : 2010.04.30
Pre-treatment steps of fresh produce as Saengshik raw materials are followed by initial clean-up, dipping, primary washing, and cutting. Hypochlorous acid solution was applied in the dipping step to reduce natural microflora. Also, procedures were changed by cutting, dipping and then primary washing, and the efficacy of hypochlorus acid was evaluated. Potatoes, carrots, kales, and angelicas were submerged in water or 100 ppm of hypochlorous acid for 5 min. After initial clean-up, the aerobic plate counts of potatoes, carrots, kales and angelicas were 4.7, 5.3, 5.6, and 5.7 log CFU/g, respectively. When samples were submerged into water, it only reduced the population of natural microflora by 0.2 to 1.1 log CFU/g, whereas when treated with hypochlorous acid, it reduced the population by 0.5 to 2.8 log CFU/g. Reductions of natural microflora in green leafy vegetables were more highly achieved than bulbs such as potatoes and carrots. However, the numbers of natural microflora were increased after cutting step. To control the cross contamination at the cutting process, the process was changed as follows: initial clean-up, cutting, dipping in hypochlorous acid, and then primary washing. It showed effective reduction of the population by 2.3 to 3.2 log CFU/g. Hypochlorous acid solution could be useful as a sanitizer for surface washing of fresh vegetables.
- Chang TE, Moon SY, Lee KW, Park JM, Han JS, SongOJ, Shin IS. 2006. Microflora of manufacturing process and final products of saengshik. Korean J Food Sci Technol36: 501-506.
- Kim DH, Song HP, Yook HS, Chung YJ, Kim YJ, ByunMW. 2002. Distribution of microflora in powdered rawgrains and vegetables and improvement of hygienic qualityby gamma irradiation. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 31:589-593. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2002.31.4.589
- Ha TY, Kim NY. 2003. The effects of uncooked grains andvegetables with mainly brown rice on weight control andserum components in Korean overweight/obese female.Korean J Nutr 36: 183-190.
- Lee YJ, Lee MH, Park TS. 2003. Effects of uncooked powderedfood on antioxidative system and serum mineral concentrationsin rats fed unbalanced diet. Korean J Nutr 36:898-907.
- Park SH, Han JH. 2003. The effects of uncooked powderedfood on nutrient intake, serum lipid level, dietary behaviorand health index in healthy women. Korean J Nutr 36:49-63.
- Lee SY. 2002. Manufacture processing of uncooked food onthe market. Food Ind Nutr 7: 11-15.
- Kim DJ, Ha SD, Ryu K, Park KH. 2004. Hazard analysis and determination of CCPs for powdered raw grains andvegetables, saengshik. Korean J Food Sci Technol 36:1032-1040.
- Park MH. 2002. The status of uncooked food industry and its future. Food Ind Nutr 7: 1-3.
- Rice KM, Pierson MD. 1982. Inhibition of Salmonella by sodium nitrite and potassium sorbate in frankfurters. J Food Sci 47: 1615-1617. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1982.tb04995.x
- Kim DJ, Kwon OJ, Byun MW. 1997. Combination effects of benzoate, sorbate and pH for control of Escherichia coliO157:H7. J Food Hyg Safe 12: 200-204.
- Oh DH, Marshall DL. 1994. Enhanced inhibition of Listeria monocytogenes by glycerol monolaurate with organic acids. J Food Sci 59: 1258-1261. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1994.tb14690.x
- Ita PS, Hutkins RW. 1991. Intracellular pH and survival of Listeria monocytogenes Scott A in tryptic soy broth containing acetic, lactic, citric, and hydrochloric acid. J Food Prot 54: 15-19. https://doi.org/10.4315/0362-028X-54.1.15
- Yonng KM, Foegding PM. 1993. Acetic, lactic, citric acid and pH inhibition of Listeria monocytogens Scott A and the effect on intracellular pH. J Appl Bacteriol 74: 515-520.
- Fernandes CF, Flick GJ, Cohen J, Thomas TB. 1998. Role of organic acids during processing to improve quality of channel catfish fillets. J Food Prot 61: 495-498. https://doi.org/10.4315/0362-028X-61.4.495
- Masuda S, Hara-Kudo Y, Kuagai S. 1998. Reduction Escherichia coli O157:H7 population in soy sauce, a fermented seasoning. J Food Prot 61: 657-661. https://doi.org/10.4315/0362-028X-61.6.657
- Dukan S, Lévi Y, Touati D. 1997. Recovery of culturability of and HOCl-stressed population of Escherichia coli after incubation in phosphate buffer: resuscitation or regrowth?Appl Environ Microbiol 63: 4204-4209.
- Dukan S, Dadon S, Smulski DS, Belkin S. 1996. Hypochlorous acid activates the heat shock and soxRS system of Escherichia coli. Appl Environ Microbiol 62: 4003-4008.
- Leyer GJ, Johnson EA. 1997. Acid adaption sensitizes Salmonella typhimurium to hypochlorous acid. Appl Environ Microbiol 63: 461-467.
- Abid N, Maalej S, Rouis S. 2004. Morphological and physiological changes of Staphylococcus aureus exposed to hypochlorous acid. Letters in Appl Microbiol 38: 245-250. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1472-765X.2004.01482.x
- Chapman ALP, Hampton MB, Senthilmohan R, Winterbourn CC, Kettle AJ. 2002. Chlorination of bacterial and neutrophil proteins during phagocytosis and killing ofStaphylococcus aureus. J Biol Chem 277: 9757-9762. https://doi.org/10.1074/jbc.M106134200
- Kim SH, Chung SY. 2003. Effect of pre-preparation with vinegar against microorganisms on vegetables in foodserviceoperations. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 32: 230-237. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2003.32.2.230
- Allende A, Aguayo E, Artés F. 2004. Microbial and sensory quality of commercial fresh processed red lettuce throughout the production chain and shelf life. Int J Food Microbiol91: 109-117. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0168-1605(03)00373-8
- Ukuku DO. 2004. Effect of hydrogen peroxide treatment on microbial quality and appearance of whole and fresh-cut melons contaminated with Salmonella spp. Int J Food Microbiol 95: 137-146. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijfoodmicro.2004.01.021
- Ahvenainen R. 1996. New approaches in improving the shelf life of minimally processed fruit and vegetables. Trends Food Sci Technol 7: 179-187. https://doi.org/10.1016/0924-2244(96)10022-4
- Lin CM, Wei CI. 1997. Transfer of Salmonella mentevideo onto the interior surfaces of tomatoes by cutting. J Food Prot 60: 858-863. https://doi.org/10.4315/0362-028X-60.7.858
- Gayler GE, MacCready RA, Reardon JP, McKernan BF. 1955. An outbreak of salmonellosis traced to watermelon.Public Health Rep 70: 311-313. https://doi.org/10.2307/4589055
Du J, Han Y, Linton RH. 2002. Inactivation by chlorine dioxide gas (
$ClO_2$) of Listeria monocytogenes spotted onto different apple surfaces. Food Microbiol 19: 481-490. https://doi.org/10.1006/fmic.2002.0501
- Du J, Han Y, Linton RH. 2003. Efficacy of chlorine dioxide gas in reducing Escherichia coli O157:H7 on apple surfaces.Food Microbiol 20: 583-891. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0740-0020(02)00129-6
- Niemira BA, Sommers CH, Fan X. 2002. Suspending lettuce type influence recoverability and radiation sensitivity of Escherichia coli O157:H7. J Food Prot 65: 1388-1393. https://doi.org/10.4315/0362-028X-65.9.1388
- Izumi H. 1999. Electrolyzed water as disinfectant for freshcut vegetables. J Food Sci 64: 536-539. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1999.tb15079.x
- Adams MR, Hartley AD, Cox LJ. 1989. Factors affecting the efficacy of washing procedures used in the production of prepared salads. Food Microbiol 6: 67-69.
- Takeuchi K, Frank JF. 2000. Attachment of Escherichia coli O157:H7 into lettuce tissue as affected by inoculums size and temperature, and the effect of chlorine treatment on cell viability. J Food Prot 63: 434-440. https://doi.org/10.4315/0362-028X-63.4.434
- Korean Food and Drug Administration. 2002. A supplement volume of food code . Moonyoung Co., Seoul, Korea.
- Effect of Microbial Inhibition and Change of Chromaticity on the Raw Materials of Saengsik Treated with Slightly Acidic Electrolyzed Water during Storage vol.41, pp.12, 2012, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2012.41.12.1830