- Volume 13 Issue 5
A Study on Safe School Zone System using LabVIEW
- Kim, Kyung-Hwa (Dept. of Electronics and Communication Engineering, Korea Maritime University) ;
- Shim, Joon-Hwan (Dept. of Electronics and Communication Engineering, Korea Maritime University)
- Received : 2009.12.04
- Accepted : 2010.11.05
- Published : 2010.11.30
The total number of deaths by traffic accidents is decreasing every year in our country. However, in 2009, children died in traffic accidents at a rate of 2.3 deaths per 100,000 children, which was higher than the average of OECD countries (1.9 deaths per 100,000 children). In particular, traffic accidents are showing rapid increase in school zone during the past 2 years because of problems in the designation and management of school zone. Traffic safety facilities such as road sign, reflector mirror, speed bump have the ultimate limit of vehicle accidents prevention. Thus, in school zone, children safety is still not guaranteed due to illegal parking and the absence of driver's awareness of safety. Therefore, In order to protect children from traffic accidents within school zones, we have realized a safe school zone system, which enables the drivers to better know the intended school zones and creates pedestrian environment through unmanned monitoring camera, using LabVIEW.
School Zone;LabVIEW;Monitoring;Zigbee Communication
- Road Traffic Authority (2009). Traffic accident statistics.
- Ministry of Public Administration and Security (2010). Measures to strengthen safe school zone.
- K. J. Lee, G. S. Kim. (2008). A Study on DFS Beneficial for Reduction on Speed and Traffic Accidents (based on school zones in Buchon city), Journal of Korean society of hazard mitigation, vol. 8, no. 4, pp.31-38.
- Y. S. Kim, et al. (2008). New Methodology about the criteria for Appointing School Zones, Joumal of Korean Society of Transportation, vol. 26, no. 5, pp.29-40
- E. J. Kim. (2008). A Case Study on the Safety of School Zones, The Journal of Korean Society for School Health Education, vol. 9, no. 1, pp.115-126
- S. S. Lee. (2006). Assessment of Long-Term Effectiveness of Speed Minitoring Displays on Speed Variation, Journal of the KOSOS, vol. 21, no. 3, pp.107-113
- Y. T. Oh. (2009). The study on environmental improvements and examinations of driver's consciousness in Child Safety Area (School Zone) for the prevention of traffic accidents, master's thesis, AJou University
- C. H. Park, C. G. Kang, H. D. Nam. (2005). Wed-based Force Management System using a Microcontroller and LabVIEW, KSME International Journal, vol. 5, pp.1284-1289
- Mihura, Bruce. (2001). LabVIEW for Data Acquisition, Prentice Hall PTR
- Kwak Do Young. (2009). LabVIEW 2009, Ohm