- Volume 15 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Bubble Popping Augmented Reality System Using a Vibro-Tactile Haptic Mouse
진동촉각 햅틱 마우스 기반 버블포핑 증강현실 시스템
- Jung, Da-Un (Kangwon National Univ., Dept. of Computer & Communications) ;
- Lee, Woo-Keun (Kangwon National Univ., Dept. of Computer & Communications) ;
- Jang, Seong-Eun (Kangwon National Univ., Dept. of Computer & Communications) ;
- Kim, Man-Bae (Kangwon National Univ., Dept. of Computer & Communications)
- Received : 2010.08.11
- Accepted : 2010.11.09
- Published : 2010.11.30
As one of applications in augmented realities, this paper presents a bubble popping system utilizing a haptic vibro-tactile mouse. In this system, virtual bubbles randomly float in the 3D space. By using the vibro-tactile mouse grabbed by a user, the bubbles are popped when they are touched by the mouse in the 3D space. Then a bubble popping effect with addition mouse vibration is delivered to the user's hand through the mouse. The proposed system is developed on ARToolkit environment. Therefore, basic components such as a camera and a marker pattern are required. The systems is composed of a vibro-haptic mouse, a webcam, a marker pattern, a graphic bubble object, and graphic mouse. Mouse vibration as well as bubble fade-out effect is delivered. Therefore, the combination of visual and tactile bubble popping effects outperforms the usage of a single effect in the experience of augmented reality.
Supported by : 한국산업기술진흥원
- K. Moustakas, et. al, "A geometry education haptic VR application based on a new virtual hand representation", Proc. of IEEE Virtual Reality, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/VR.2005.1492782
- L. Paolis and M. Pulimeno, "A simulation of a billiard game based on a marker detection", IEEE 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/ACHI.2009.19
- F. Liarokapis, M. White, P. Lister, "Augmented reality interface toolkit", Proc. of the Eighth International Conference on Information Visualization, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1109/IV.2004.1320227
- C. Kirner, et. al, "Case studies on the development of games using augmented reality", IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, Oct. 8-11, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/ICSMC.2006.384953
- 이준훈, 하태진, 류제하, 우운택, "디지로그 북 저작을 위한 펜형 햅틱 사용자 인터페이스의 개발", HCI 학술대회, 2009.
- C. E. Hughes, C. B. Stapleton, D. E. Hughes and E. M. Smith, " reality in education, entertainment, and training," IEEE Computer Graphics and Applications, Nov/Dec. 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/MCG.2005.139
- G. Szibig, B. Solvang, C. Kiss, and P. Korondi, "Vibro-tactile feedback for VR systems," IEEE 2nd Conference Human system interface, May 2009.
- W. Piekarski and R. Smooth, "Robust gloves for 3D interaction in mobile outdoor AR environments," IEEE/ACM International Conference on Mixed and Augmented Reality, ISMAR 2006.
- I. Herst and J. Stark, "Comparing force magnitudes by means of vibro-tactile, auditory, and visual feedback," IEEE Int. Workshop on Haptic Audio, Visual Environments and their Applications, Oct. 2005.
- J. R. Vallino and C. M. Brown, "Haptics in Augmented Reality," Proc. IEEE Int'l Conf. Multimedia Computing and Systems (ICMCS '99), vol. 1, pp. 195-200, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1109/MMCS.1999.779146
- http://www.hitl.washington.edu/artoolkit/documentation/, 2010년6월.
- Ho-joong Yong, Jongwon Back, and Tae-Jeong Jang, "Stereo vision based human computer interaction with tactile stimulation," ETRI journal vol.29, no.3, pp.305-310, June 2007. https://doi.org/10.4218/etrij.07.0506.0017
- P. Jimenez, F. Thomas and C. Torras, "3D collision detection: a survey," Computers & Graphics, Vol. 25, Issue 2, Apr. 2001, pp. 269-285. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0097-8493(00)00130-8
- F. S. Hill, Jr, Computer graphics using OpenGL, 2nd Ed. Prentice-Hall, 1990.