- Volume 30 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Textural and Sensory Properties of Pork Jerky Adjusted with Tenderizers or Humectant
- Kim, Gap-Don (Division of Applied Life Science (BK21 Program), Gyeongsang National University) ;
- Jung, Eun-Young (Division of Applied Life Science (BK21 Program), Gyeongsang National University) ;
- Seo, Hyun-Woo (Division of Applied Life Science (BK21 Program), Gyeongsang National University) ;
- Joo, Seon-Tea (Department of Animal Science, Gyeongsang National University) ;
- Yang, Han-Sul (Department of Animal Science, Gyeongsang National University)
- Received : 2010.05.26
- Accepted : 2010.12.01
- Published : 2010.12.31
This study was carried out to investigate the textural and sensory properties of pork jerky with differently added sources of tenderizer or humectant at final concentrations of 2 or 5% (v/w). Pork jerky treated with 5% glycerol, kiwi, or pineapple had lower moisture content and water activity than that of control pork jerky (p<0.05). The addition of tenderizer or humectant resulted in a lower shear force than that of control (p<0.05). The addition of 2 or 5% glycerol resulted in higher equilibrium moisture content (EMC) than other treatments, and addition of tenderizer or humectant produced a higher EMC than that of control (p<0.05). Furthermore, addition of pineapple and kiwi to the samples affected the structures of the myosin heavy chain and the actin filaments of myofibrillar protein, respectively. Trained panel sensory evaluations indicated that pineapple enhanced the flavor score, whereas tenderness score was improved by the addition of tenderizer or humectant (p<0.05).
- AOAC. (2000) Official Methods of Analysis of the Association of Official Analytical Chemists. 17th ed. Association of Official Analytical Chemists. Gaithersburg, MD.
- Ashie, I. N. A., Sorensen, T. L., and Nielsen, P. M. (2002) Effects of papain and a microbial enzyme on meat proteins and beef tenderness. J. Food Sci. 67, 2138-2142. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.2002.tb09516.x
- Barrett, A. H., Briggs, J., Richardson, M., and Reed, T. (1998) Texture and storage stability of processed beefsticks as affected by glycerol and moisture levels. J. Food Sci. 63, 84-87. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1998.tb15681.x
- Brooks, B. A., Klasing, K. C., and Regenstein, J. M. (1985) Effects of antemortem injected crude papain in chicken muscle. J. Food Sci. 50, 1370-1374. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1985.tb10479.x
- Chang, S. F., Huang, T. C., and Pearson, A. M. (1991) Some parameters involved in production of Zousoon-A semi-dry, long fibered pork product. Meat Sci. 30, 303-325. https://doi.org/10.1016/0309-1740(91)90040-W
- Cheftel, J. C. and Culioli, J. (1997) Effects of high pressure on meat: A review. Meat Sci. 46, 211-236. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(97)00017-X
- Chen, W. S., Lin, D. C., and Chen, M. T. (2002) Determination of quality changes throughout processing steps in Chinese- style pork jerky. Asian-Aust J Anim Sci. 17, 700-704. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2004.700
- Chen, W. S., Lin, D. C., Chen, M. T., and Ockerman, H. W. (2000) Improving texture and storage stability of Chinesestyle pork jerky by the addition of humectants. Asian-Aust J Anim Sci. 13, 1455-1460. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2000.1455
- Choi, J. H., Jeong, J. Y., Han, D. J., Choi, Y. S., Kim, H. Y., Lee, M. A., Lee, E. S., Paik, H. D., and Kim, C. J. (2008) Effects of pork/beef levels and various casings on quality properties of semi-dried jerky. Meat Sci. 80, 278-286. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2007.11.028
- CIE. (1986) Colorimetry Commission International del' Eclairage, Publication CIE 15.2. 2nd ed. Vienna.
- Dransfield, E. and Etherington, D. (1981) Enzymes in the tenderization of meat. In: Enzymes and Food Processing. Birch, G. G., Blankebrough, N., and Parker, K. J. (eds). Applied Science Publishers, London, UK, pp. 177-194.
- Farouk, M. M. and Swan, J. E. (1999) Boning and storage temperature effects on the attributes of soft jerky and frozen cooked free-flow mince. J. Food Sci. 64, 465-468. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1999.tb15064.x
- Gould, G. W. and Christian, J. H. B. (1988) Characterization of the state of water in food biological aspects. In: Food Preservation by Moisture Control. Seow C. C. (ed). Elsevier, London, UK, pp. 43-56.
- Guilbert, S., Clement, O., and Cheftel, J. C. (1981) Relative efficiency of various aw-lowing agents in aqueous solutions and in intermediate moisture foods. Lebensm. Wiss. u-Technol. 14, 245-251.
- Han, D. J., Jeong, J. Y., Choi, J. H., Choi, Y. S., Kim, H. Y., and Lee, M. A. (2007) Effects of drying conditions on quality properties of pork jerky. Korean J. Food Sci. Anim. Res. 27, 29-34. https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2007.27.1.29
- Harrison, J. A., Harrison, M. A., and Rose, R. A. (1997) Fate of Listeria monocytogenes and Salmonella species in ground beef jerky. J. Food Prot. 60, 1139-1141.
- Iizuka, K. and Aishima, T. (1999) Tenderization of beef with pineapple juice monitored by fourier transform infrared spectroscopy and chemometric analysis. J. Food Sci. 64, 973-977. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1999.tb12262.x
- Jose, F. S., Rafael, G., and Miguel, A. C. (1994) Water activity of Spanish intermediate-moisture meat products. Meat Sci. 38, 341-350. https://doi.org/10.1016/0309-1740(94)90122-8
- Kamphuis, I. G., Drenth, J., and Baker, E. N. (1985) Thiol protease. J. Molecular Biol. 182, 317-329. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-2836(85)90348-1
- Kim, H. and Taub, I. A. (1991) Specific degradation of myosin in meat by bromelain. Food Chem. 40, 337-343. https://doi.org/10.1016/0308-8146(91)90117-7
- Laemmli, U. K. (1970) Cleavage of structural proteins during assembly of the head of bacteriophage. T4. Nature 227, 680-685. https://doi.org/10.1038/227680a0
- Leung, H. K., Mallock, J. P., Meyer, R. S., and Morad, M. M. (1984) Storage stability of a puff pastry dough with reduced water activity. J. Food Sci. 49, 1405-1409. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1984.tb12808.x
- Linko, P., Kervinen, R., Karppinen, R., Rautalinna, E. K., and Vainionpaa, J. (1985) Extrusion cooking for cereal-based intermediate-moisture products In: Smiatos, D. and Multon, J. L. (eds). Marcel Dekker, New York, USA, pp. 465-479.
- Marsh, B. B. and Leet, N. G. (1966) Studies in meat tenderness III. The effects of cold shortening on meat tenderness. J. Food Sci. 31, 450-459. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1966.tb00520.x
- Meilgaard, M., Civille, G. V., and Carr, B. T. (1999) Sensory evaluation techniques Boca Ration. 3rd ed. CRC Press. FL. p. 354.
- Miller, M. F., Davis, G. W., Ramsey, C. B., and Irizarry, H. (1996) Water activity theory and application to food. In: Rockland L. B. and Beuchat L. R. (ed). Marcel Dekker, New York, USA, pp. 295-328.
- Miller, A. J., Strange, E. D., and Whiting, R. C. (1989) Improved tenderness of restructured beef steaks by a microbial collagenase derived from Vibrio B-30. J. Food Sci. 54, 855-857. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1989.tb07898.x
- Mori, K, Nishimura, T, Yokoyama, T., and Takahashi, K. (2001) Tenderization of heated sliced beef by succinylated glycerol monostearate, a novel meat tenderizer. J. Food Sci. 66, 524-529. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.2001.tb04596.x
- Nishimura, T., Hattori, A., and Takahashi, K. (1995) Structural weakening of intramuscular connective tissue during conditioning of beef. Meat Sci. 39, 127-133. https://doi.org/10.1016/0309-1740(95)80014-X
- Pegg, R. B., Amarowicz, R., and Code, W. E. (2006) Nutritional characteristics of emu (Dromaius novaehollandiae) meat and its value added products. Food Chem. 97, 193-202. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2005.04.002
- Quinton, R. D., Cornforth, D. P., Hendricks, D. G., Brennand, C. P., and Su, Y. K. (1997) Acceptability and composition of some acidified meat and vegetable stick products. J. Food Sci. 62, 1250-1254. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1997.tb12255.x
- SAS. (2002) SAS/STAT software for pc Release 8.2, Cary, N.C., SAS, Inc.
- Sherwin, C. P. and Labuza, T. P. (2003) Role of moisture in maillard browning reaction rate intermediate moisture foods: comparing solvent phase and matrix properties. J. Food Sci. 68, 588-594. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.2003.tb05715.x
- Torres, E. A. F. S., Shimokomaki, M., Franco, B. D. G. M., Carvalho, Jr. B. C., and Santos, J. C. (1994) Parameter determining the quality of charqui, an intermediate moisture meat product. Meat Sci. 38, 229-234. https://doi.org/10.1016/0309-1740(94)90112-0
- Wada, M., Suzuki, T., Yaguti, Y., and Hasegawa, T. (2002) The effects of pressure treatments with kiwi fruit protease on adult cattle semitendinosus muscle. Food Chem. 78, 167-171. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0308-8146(01)00395-8
- Yang, H. S., Choi, S. G., Jeon, J. T., Park, G. B., and Joo, S. T. (2007) Textural and sensory properties of low fat pork sausages with added hydrated oatmeal and tofu as texture-modifying agents. Meat Sci. 75, 293-299.
- Yang, H. S., Hwang, Y. H., Joo, S. T., and Park, G. B. (2009) The physicochemical and microbiological characteristics of pork jerky in comparison to beef jerky. Meat Sci. 82, 289-294. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2009.01.029
- Effects of Humectant and Roasting on Physicochemical and Sensory Properties of Jerky Made from Spent Hen Meat vol.36, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2016.36.3.326
- Quality changes of chicken meat jerky with different sweeteners during storage vol.52, pp.12, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13197-015-1884-2
- Effects of Replacing Sucrose with Various Sugar Alcohols on Quality Properties of Semi-dried Jerky vol.35, pp.5, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2015.35.5.622